IGNORED

[Forth] New Turboforth Video - Using Block Files In TurboForth

JonnyBritish

Video Link -

TurboForth uses a block/screens system to persist data onto disk.

TurboForth looks for a file called BLOCKS on DSK1 at startup (you can bypass this by pressing any key as TurboForth starts). If it finds the file, it will load and execute block 1.

Posted by Mark

Seems that things are shaping up real nice.

Looking forward playing with the final release.

• 4 weeks later...

TurboForth is in advanced stages of BETA testing now... Mark is implementing file i/o as we speak, and then we're looking at a brand new, fully functioning programming language for the TI-99/4a. Great times!!!

Interesting that every word in Forth is coded in Assembler rather than a core set of words written in assembler then the rest in forth. Exciting times indeed

There IS a kernel (of sorts) but it's in the cart ROM--if I understand correctly. The core group of words are all coded in assembly, so you've got a good dictionary to start with. The nice thing is, just about the entire 32k of memory in the PEB is available for your custom words. With Wycove, it's not half that.

Mark really went all out on this one, and the community will be richer for his efforts.

TurboForth is in advanced stages of BETA testing now... Mark is implementing file i/o as we speak, and then we're looking at a brand new, fully functioning programming language for the TI-99/4a. Great times!!!

Interesting that every word in Forth is coded in Assembler rather than a core set of words written in assembler then the rest in forth. Exciting times indeed

Not every word is coded in assembler. Some of the words are coded in forth. For example, the compiler & interpreter are all coded in forth. WORDS DUMP VDUMP GDUMP INTERPRET : ; ABORT FORGET and friends are all coded in forth. However, It's true that in turboforth most words are coded in assembler for performance reasons.

Question... In other Forths (Immediate Mode primarily), I'm noticing that commands such as VLIST will completely rip the stack of all its contents... in some dialects, any syntax error empties the stack... Are there any peculiarities in TF we should be aware of when working in the editor or immediate mode?