IGNORED

1200xl mods

Havok69

Seeing the 800XL mods thread got me to thinking about the 1200XL. Since it looks like I will be getting one relatively soon, I'd like to prepare and restore\mod it to its full potential.

What are some *must have* mods for this thing of beauty?

I know about the Clearpic mod:

http://retrobits.net/atari/clearpic.shtml

What are some other *must have* mods? I believe there is a SIO fix, however I can't seem to find a link. Also, if I recall there are some reliability mods as well.

Please let me know what other mods are a good idea, and links if you can find them...

Seeing the 800XL mods thread got me to thinking about the 1200XL. Since it looks like I will be getting one relatively soon, I'd like to prepare and restore\mod it to its full potential.

What are some other *must have* mods? I believe there is a SIO fix, however I can't seem to find a link. Also, if I recall there are some reliability mods as well.

Please let me know what other mods are a good idea, and links if you can find them...

FYI:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/1200xl/1200xl.html

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/section-17.html (search for "1200XL lacks +5V")

Thanks - there's a great amount of information there I wasn't aware of!

So, it looks like a good idea for the 1200xl mods are:

Clearpic

SIO 5V

OS Rom swap

PBI Install

I was reading further, and another option is to enable built in basic. I was wondering from someone who has done this, does this get rid of the lovely Atari logo splash screen (or does the OS swap do it)? If that is the case, I can deal with popping in the cartridge; as Ax was kind enough to send me one with his latest box o crap.

Edited by Havok69

Personally, I don't think I'll ever be modding mine - it's virtually as-new condition (thanks Bob), and so rare here I think I've only ever seen one on local eBay.

Inbuilt Basic would be a worthwhile mod for someone who uses it a fair bit (Rev C of course), so I guess while you're at it either a 32in1 OS or just an 800XL OS would also be worth the effort.

Thanks - there's a great amount of information there I wasn't aware of!

So, it looks like a good idea for the 1200xl mods are:

Clearpic

SIO 5V

OS Rom swap

PBI Install

I was reading further, and another option is to enable built in basic. I was wondering from someone who has done this, does this get rid of the lovely Atari logo splash screen (or does the OS swap do it)? If that is the case, I can deal with popping in the cartridge; as Ax was kind enough to send me one with his latest box o crap.

The OS swap would remove the spash screen, but you could have the 1200xl OS as one of your selectable OS's if you install a multi OS.

If you want to add internal basic as well, the Atarimax 32-in-1 OS is a good choice. http://www.atarimax..../documentation/

or if you can wait, Candle is working on a 1 MEg ram upgrade

it contains 512k flash chip that stores SpartaDos X (448kB for SDX) and up to 4 system roms

it is compatible with 1200XL/XL/XE in any version and XEGS systems

it also has RTC onboard for use with SDX, as i've used SPI bus part an SPI host is embaded in CPLD logic onboard

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161950-ultimate1mb/page__hl__ultimate

(I am waiting for them to become available for my 1200xl)

or if you can wait, Candle is working on a 1 MEg ram upgrade

it contains 512k flash chip that stores SpartaDos X (448kB for SDX) and up to 4 system roms

it is compatible with 1200XL/XL/XE in any version and XEGS systems

it also has RTC onboard for use with SDX, as i've used SPI bus part an SPI host is embaded in CPLD logic onboard

http://www.atariage....e__hl__ultimate

(I am waiting for them to become available for my 1200xl)

Looks like I'll be getting one of these! Thanks for the link...

Edited by Havok69

I would limit how much soldering I do in any Atari. Pulling ICs to add sockets and the like may be necessary in some systems, but the 1200XL should not require it. Any upgrades should be a drop-in. (or, as close as possible)

Things like ClearPic are not the final answer to the video fix - something you may want to consider.

Fixing SIO is one change that needs to be done and requires soldering. The two-component video tweak is also a reasonable compromise. Otherwise, choose (or, wait for...) some nice drop-in mods.

Bob

The two-component video tweak is also a reasonable compromise. Otherwise, choose (or, wait for...) some nice drop-in mods.

Do you have a link to the video tweak? I found your post back on Nov 15th with a before and after picture, however is there a link to instructions anywhere?

I don't know of any specific instructions. Replace C115, L15 and R63 with wire. (or, I use 1 ohm resistors because they look more stock...) If you want to run s-video, the composite cable can be used as CHROMA.

Bob

The two-component video tweak is also a reasonable compromise. Otherwise, choose (or, wait for...) some nice drop-in mods.

Do you have a link to the video tweak? I found your post back on Nov 15th with a before and after picture, however is there a link to instructions anywhere?

Many, maybe most, will need a keyboard job. It is in here (AA) someplace. Look at post #6 in pinned Tips/Tricks a

copy of Bob Woolley fix by Guitarman. Just leave the insert in the connector out.

Yes, almost all the k/bs are bad. Does anyone remember the new mylars that were made for the 130XE? Who did that? Can they do one for these old 1200XLs? The rest of the k/b is fine - just the mylar is garbage.

Bob

Many, maybe most, will need a keyboard job. It is in here (AA) someplace. Look at post #6 in pinned Tips/Tricks a

copy of Bob Woolley fix by Guitarman. Just leave the insert in the connector out.

Can't edit. I used Loctite Quick Grid repair resin from auto parts store to repair de-icer traces instead of the circuit writer

that the post shows. I used a tooth pick to apply the resin. Probably not as neat as the circuit writer, but if carefully

applied, it worked.... Oh, and 'Goof Off' is available at Home Depot.

Edited by russg

I've been wondering just what to change on this 1200XL when I get around to it. Extra RAM's a must, although that'll presumably make the programmable LED's unusable.

It will, but you can make one of them act as a RAMDisk light. Or just let them flicker like mad for the "cool factor".

• Like 2

Hello guys

I've been wondering just what to change on this 1200XL when I get around to it. Extra RAM's a must, although that'll presumably make the programmable LED's unusable.

It will, but you can make one of them act as a RAMDisk light. Or just let them flicker like mad for the "cool factor".

You could use one for "CPU access" and the other for "ANTIC access".

sincerely

Mathy

• 1 year later...

Hello guys

You could use one for "CPU access" and the other for "ANTIC access".

sincerely

Mathy

My programmable LED's seemed to work fine wtih Rambo and Atarimax 256K upgrades, at least they still worked in self-test mode for memory. It was when I added more ram up to 512K that the LED's stopped working. But I was thinking the same thing; that I would use them for something else Like HDD access lights if I install an internal IDE drive or maybe just hook them all up to power...who says you can't have 3 power LED's?

http://retrobits.net.../clearpic.shtml

I would personally recommend the SuperVideo 2.1 mod instead of Clearpic mod. I tried both on the two 1200XL's (one is an extra mobo) I own and while the Clearpic is a significant improvement over stock, the SV 2.1 upgrade is far superior in sharpness and color, IMHO. SV 2.1 is a bit more work, but well worth it. When I decided to do some major upgrades to my 1200XL, the motherboard with the SV 2.1 upgrade is the one I chose to upgrade further for my regular use computer. And if I ever end up having to replace my motherboard with the back-up, I'll remove the Clearpic upgrade and replace it with SV 2.1 too. It's that much better in my opinion.

Edited by Gunstar

RetroBits is the newest version of ClearPic, if I remember correctly... The whole video thing is poorly defined, really. What looks good for one is full of birdies for another. I just do the three - jumper mod on my machines. (R63, L15, C115)

Bob

Does the retrobits ClearPic mod supercede the one at Atari History?

RetroBits is the newest version of ClearPic, if I remember correctly... The whole video thing is poorly defined, really. What looks good for one is full of birdies for another. I just do the three - jumper mod on my machines. (R63, L15, C115)

Bob

Really! I'm surprised there's that much difference just jumpering those three. The last video mod I did on the 1200XL was SuperVideo 2.1 back in '93 or whatever it was. That one took a bit o' time. Especially since I didn't have a good solder sucker back then. But the result was very good, and still looks great today. I bought a new 1200XL recently, and wanted to try out one of the simpler mods before diving into SV 2.1. Should be easy enough to jumper those three (and hook up the chroma line), then stop and check it out before deciding whether to proceed. Thanks for the tip!

I'm a video nut of course, I must have the best possible picture I can on any video device I own. I'm even thinking of modifying my SV 2.1 upgrade to get rid of the faint vertical bars. For many people, just jumping those three lines might be enough, since we aren't dealing with high-definition/resolution here...

Edited by Gunstar

It would have been interesting if Atari went forward with some of the stuff they were playing around with for the 1200, 1200X, 1200XLS, 1400+, etc. I know they wanted to combine Antic and GTIA into CGIA (Keri) into one chip that would have reduce the cost of all their future models and open up space on the motherboards. It does not look like it had any extra abilities, but could combining the two into one circuit improve the efficiency of how the 2 separate circuits communicated with each other? Maybe have all 256 palette available for all graphics modes instead of 128 or match the color clock size to the pixels in Antic Mode 2,3, and F. Would have not been hard if Atari combined circuits. That may have made the 800XL near the same cost as a Commodore 64. One thing I don't favor is internal modems that cannot be upgraded because 300 or 1200 baud was being rapidly becoming obsolete even back in 1983. I am not sure how the Speech Synthesizer would be mapped in memory.

But I understand Atari started shifting back to video game systems about a year before Jack Tremial took over and shifted almost everything back to computers.

Edited by peteym5