IGNORED

Intellivision snowy screen

Wolf9545

I have one of the original Intellivision (brown with gold on top and wood grain on sides) along with some games. If I put any of my games into the system and turn it on I get images like the one attached. I know the RF cable going from the system is fine because if I connect my Famicom to my tv using the same cable the image is clear. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the game and the cartridge slot but didn't seem to help. I also tried rotating the pots under the RF section of the larger main board but that also didn't help.

Any help is appreciated.

edit:

Is there any way of cleaning inside the rf jack on the intellivions? Not the outside round but the hole.

A pipe cleaner with isopropyl alcohol should do the trick.

The fuzzy picture you show looks like a problem with the RFU cable, or maybe even the RFU output jack on the back of the console. Have you tried wiggling the jack itself? Maybe it needs re-soldered.

I belive I have figured out the problem. How my setup is:

My LCD tv is connected with a NES rf auto switch box to the coxial input. On the antenna section I connected a coxial cable to that. On the "game" section the pre-attached RF cable was connected to the Intellivision. If I used an RF style cable and connected it to the coxial section (antenna) of the RF switch the video looks fine.

I didn't think that would have caused any problems because that is the same way I connected my Famicom and that worked / looked fine. So what I did is remove the NES switch box and now just have a coxial cable running out of my TV. Then I have one of those adapters to convert the screw connection to one that I can plug a RF cable (the type that the Atari uses or the Intellivions); everyone works.

Since I got my system working I was thinking of replacing the RF cable that I have. I wanted to get a better quality cable, one that has more shielding but I didn't know if there is a replacement. Can you use a standard RCA style (composite) cable for it? Just looking to improve the shielding on the cable to help reduce noise.

I am going to order composite cables from monoprice. I found this cable: single rca cable and was going to order it I just didn't know if anyone has ever tried using a RCA style cable for the Intellivision. I have ordered from this site before and I know they make their own cables and are fully certified for the HDMI; they are a very nice company.