IGNORED

To Buy or Not to Buy?

So I'm kind of getting on a retro-game kcik after AV modding my old 2600 Jr and now starting an AV mod on a Nes Toaster.

I played the Intellivision onceas a kid so I have a fond memory of it. The emulation scene seems to stink for Intellivision and the Plu-n-plays sound awful.

I'm considering obtaining a console but I don't know much about it. I mean, I don't want to get taken for a ride or end up with a console and limited games.

Intellivision 1 versus 2 is there much of a practical difference? I know most of the folks here are pretty savvy - how much is too much for an open and complete system without games?

Can both use Cuttlecart 3?

Do I need to watch out for broken controllers? Are the built-in controllers repairable, generally speaking?

So I'm kind of getting on a retro-game kcik after AV modding my old 2600 Jr and now starting an AV mod on a Nes Toaster.

I played the Intellivision onceas a kid so I have a fond memory of it. The emulation scene seems to stink for Intellivision and the Plu-n-plays sound awful.

I'm considering obtaining a console but I don't know much about it. I mean, I don't want to get taken for a ride or end up with a console and limited games.

Intellivision 1 versus 2 is there much of a practical difference? I know most of the folks here are pretty savvy - how much is too much for an open and complete system without games?

Can both use Cuttlecart 3?

Do I need to watch out for broken controllers? Are the built-in controllers repairable, generally speaking?

I'm admittedly rather biased as it is my favourite retro system, however I'd suggest it is a worthwhile purchase. With a library of 125 games (not including homebrews, of which there are at least 3 or 4 planned for 2011), there is a pretty broad range of titles, many of which are obtainable at a very reasonable price, in fact, many of the best games are common.

I prefer the INTV 1 to the 2, but that said I do own both. The controllers are repairable, however, given the relatively low cost it takes to acquire a working system I'm not sure it's worth your time and effort, unless you're a proficient do-it-yourselfer. I am not, therefore if anything happened to one of my controllers I'd likely just get another.

There are usually a ton available on ebay at any given time, so for an unboxed system with no games or just a couple of games you can often find them for $25-30, certainly no more than $50. I'd suggest you maybe contact Revolutionika as he may have a starter set you could buy off of him. If you need games, there are a number of us who I'm sure could help you out for a very reasonable price, myself included (which makes my wife happy when I clear stuff out).icon_smile.gif We're always happy to welcome another member to the INTV community.

There are a couple of threads asking the same question as yours from the last few months, which include both advice about which of the 7 or 8 different INTV models is the best to buy, as well as which are the best games.

Top 25 games thread

Which to buy thread

There are quite a few others like this, but there's a couple for starters. Any other questions, we're more than happy to help...no drama in this part of AA. icon_shades.gif