IGNORED

Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari

Philsan

Hi- I am fairly new to the world of Atari 8-Bits, so I really don't know much of what I am doing. I have several disks which have files which I believe are tape files that are now saved on a floppy disk. I have not been able to get those to run on my 800XL. Is there anything I need to know or do to make that happen?

Thanks!

I'm preparing to buy 130XE (found person who has it, lives near me and don't need it) and I have few questions:

1. Is there anyone still manufacturing Atari-compatible floppies? If so, where can I buy them?

2. Is it possible to record content of ATR floppy disk image onto Atari floppy? If so, what equipment will I need (I have only access to modern computer with memory-card reader only and Windows 7)?

3. Where can I get empty Atari cartridges and flashing equipment, so I can write ACTION! rom /sparta dos x rom onto cart?

• 4 weeks later...

Which is the most powerful and backwards compatible of the A8's? Is it the XEGS? Trying to research on google, but the Atari family tree is a bit confusing. Thanks.

Atari 800XL, 65XE, 130XE and XEGS are all backwards compatible, apart a limited number of Atari 400/800 programs (all now converted to run on newer machines though).

As-is, the most powerful is 130XE because it has 128KB instead of 64KB and s-video output, as well as composite and RF.

Post #1 states that Atarimax flash carts can be filled with either the programmer or a disk drive. Does that mean I can "fill" cartridges with just an Atari and a disk drive with program files (.exe/.com I assume) without having to buy the programmer? How would I go about that and is there any difference in the resulting carts to those made with a programmer?

Post #1 states that Atarimax flash carts can be filled with either the programmer or a disk drive. Does that mean I can "fill" cartridges with just an Atari and a disk drive with program files (.exe/.com I assume) without having to buy the programmer? How would I go about that and is there any difference in the resulting carts to those made with a programmer?

The only difference between using the PC based USB programmer vs the file transfer method is the speed of updating the cart. However, the USB programmer does make a nice cart dumper, if you have such a need.

How do I remove the back grille of my 800 to check under the hood?

open CARTRIDGE DOOR then loosen the two screws at hinge of cartridge door. lift gently the cartridge door until the grille clears the screws and pull all forward and out. DOOR AND GRILL are connected together.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello!

I recently acquired a MicroPrint cable for my Atari 800 with the hopes of printing on my HP Photosmart 6515. I made a daisychain out of the following:

microprint ~> double female parallel cable connector ~> male parallel cable that converts to a USB male ~> double female USB connector ~> USB cable connected to printer

I had no success with this setup. I understand that the printer may not of the proper components for reading the 800's commands, so is it best just to invest in a used parallel printer? I am a college student so my pockets are pretty shallow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
Hey all,

I've got my first 8-bit (800XL) coming over from Europe - been doing a bit of poking around to check off most of the things that I need to worry about, but there's still a few things which I want to be sure of before it arrives, so I just wanted to ask a few questions to make sure I'm all set for when it arrives.

First off, just wanted to make sure that I've got nothing to worry about concerning PAL/NTSC versions of games. Coming from the C64, it was always important to use the right version of a game (otherwise there'd be screen issues due to timing). If I'm playing older titles, is this something I need to worry about as well? Looking at newer games, it seems those are easy enough to find as either PAL or NTSC, so it's not as much of an issue there…

Secondly, regarding power - as I've got the computer coming from Europe, I believe it's coming with a 220V Power Supply. Other than getting a Step Down transformer (from 240V), is anyone using one of those smaller switching units? Part of me wants to tend to the side of caution and see if it's possible to get a 240V unit, but part of me does like the idea of having something more efficient to use…

Besides that, is there anything else I should have to worry about? I've got an AV cable on the way (or failing that the RF one), also got an SIO2SD on the way (plus ordered a few cart games), and I've got plenty of 9-pin joysticks around (from my C64 & 2600) as well :)

Absolutely looking forward to trying out an 8-bit for real - emulation's been able to cover it most of the way, but sometimes it's not just there (like in this case!) :)

There's only one version of near all Atari games and it works on PAL and NTSC machines.

A few PAL games exists that don't work on NTSC computers.

I am not an hardware expert but I think you can use a stepdown converter.

You have an AV cable, you have SIO2SD, you have joysticks, you don't need anything else, apart perhaps a memory expansion if you want to play a few games and many demos.

• Like 1

There's only one version of near all Atari games and it works on PAL and NTSC machines.

A few PAL games exists that don't work on NTSC computers.

I am not an hardware expert but I think you can use a stepdown converter.

You have an AV cable, you have SIO2SD, you have joysticks, you don't need anything else, apart perhaps a memory expansion if you want to play a few games and many demos.

Thanks for the confirmation. Will look into a RAM upgrade eventually - just a bit too far out of my budget for the time being I think :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ray.

I followed your nice device in this thread

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/198016-announcement-sio2pc10502pc-dual-usb/

and the ordering in this thread

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/198121-sio2pc10502pc-dual-usb-ordering-information/

but I tought it was a limited run only, perhaps available in the future.

In your website I don't see a page dedicated to that device.

Will you make it so I can link it?

Hey Phil, I finally finished doing my website and my USB based SIO2PC / 10502PC Dual combo device now has a web page where I do sell it. I am hoping that you would update my info on this thread's first message to reflect the current status. Thanks.

Ray

Hey Phil, I finally finished doing my website and my USB based SIO2PC / 10502PC Dual combo device now has a web page where I do sell it. I am hoping that you would update my info on this thread's first message to reflect the current status. Thanks.

Ray

Hi Ray.

Updating first post I lost every link! Thanks to Waybackmachine I was able to restore them.

Now I made a backup of BB code.

• 2 months later...

Lately I've been hearing some damn good a8 music on the youtube (example), seemingly well above what I've heard 'back in the day' a8 do. Are there any ready made collections of music with these new (1990+) music players/editors? I'm guessing that most of these songs/players are for dual-pokey pal systems, which I do not have. What stuff pushes my current system?

Specs: NTSC 800xl, 256k (atarimax ram), sio2sd, stock pokey.

edit: Also, really stupid unrelated question--where can I get a blank 16mb atr image?

Edited by Reaperman

Please allow me to indroduce myself....

Hi. I just got my 65XE + Atarimax and ST with Floppy Emulator. Also, I have SC1224.

I live in Connecticut.

Can anyone help me with these questions?

- Where can I buy a cable adapter to connect SC1224 with XE? Can I somehow connect NES console as well to it?

- What format and where can I download Atari XE music files? What player I should use to play it?

Please allow me to indroduce myself....

Hi. I just got my 65XE + Atarimax and ST with Floppy Emulator. Also, I have SC1224.

I live in Connecticut.

Can anyone help me with these questions?

- Where can I buy a cable adapter to connect SC1224 with XE? Can I somehow connect NES console as well to it?

- What format and where can I download Atari XE music files? What player I should use to play it?

Hi Gagarin.

It's not easy to connect an SC1224 to an Atari 8-bit or a NES: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/169310-sc1224-on-8-bit-in-color/

You can find A8 music files here: http://asma.atari.org/

Hello fellow AtariAge forum users,

I just bought a lot of Atari 8-bit stuff and this is the first time I've owned an Atari 8-bit computer or anything Atari 8-bit related. Because of this, i have a few questions regarding some of the stuff I got:

1. An Atari 410 tape recorder that was in the lot is not working. When I type "CLOAD" into BASIC and press "play", the drive does not play the cassette. Rewinding and advancing on my 410 does not work either. How can this be fixed?

2. I also got two Indus GT floppy drives but have no idea how to use them. They're not as straightforward as something like an Atari 1050. Is there a page regarding how to learn to use these drives?

3. I also have two Atari 1050 floppy drives. One works just fine, but the other one is now giving me boot error signs after running about five floppies just fine. How can this be fixed?

Thank you.

Hello fellow AtariAge forum users,

I just bought a lot of Atari 8-bit stuff and this is the first time I've owned an Atari 8-bit computer or anything Atari 8-bit related. Because of this, i have a few questions regarding some of the stuff I got:

1. An Atari 410 tape recorder that was in the lot is not working. When I type "CLOAD" into BASIC and press "play", the drive does not play the cassette. Rewinding and advancing on my 410 does not work either. How can this be fixed?

2. I also got two Indus GT floppy drives but have no idea how to use them. They're not as straightforward as something like an Atari 1050. Is there a page regarding how to learn to use these drives?

3. I also have two Atari 1050 floppy drives. One works just fine, but the other one is now giving me boot error signs after running about five floppies just fine. How can this be fixed?

Thank you.

1. 410 Tape recorder

2. Indus GT

3. Error signs? need to be more specific....

• Like 1