IGNORED

What do your friends say about your classic game collection?

Rev

The other day my wife's new friend came over when i wasnt there to visit. And when you go into the entry room and the family room the book shelves have literally 500 boxed games on them for display. My wife said she loved them and was reminiscing playing them when she was a kid with her family and was talking about her favorite games and such.

And a few of my guy friends say "you spent how much?" when i tell them of my latest purchases. These reactions are opposite of what i would of thought is all.

What do your friends say about your collection or classic games?

Edited by revolutionika

I have a brother who says I will end up on the show, Hoarders.

Other than that, not too much response, other than a nephew who grew up with SNES and N64 who thinks its great that I have all these old games and systems.

Oh, yeah, my wife says I need to stop buying game stuff. Go figure.

People new to the house usually sit and stare with their mouths agape for several minutes. After the inital shock wears a little, I can see their eyes trying to focus on sections of gaming goodness before they start asking questions verbal vomit style. By the time they make it down to the basement where my arcade stuff is, they usually need to change their drawers. icon_lol.gif

• Like 1

I apparently have a relative somewhere that's seen my video postings of my collection, that would worship the ground I walk in. My friend Mike teases me about it, but he also knows he doesn't have much wiggle room himself, also being something of a collector, and at times my pusher and enabler. :twisted:

Most everyone else just sees it as one of my hobbies. In part because I try hard not to let it take over my existence.

A few days ago we had a housewarming party and I could finally show my game room (i.e. my "studio", officially speaking :P ) with my Inty and Atari consoles and games and the reactions ranged between indifference (for those who had no idea of what this stuff is about) to surprise and excitement: a few jaws dropped and we started playing some classics. We really had a great time and I think I may have passed the "collecting bug" to some colleagues too ;)

Edited by roberto

I would have to say the most common responce is probably envy. On a small level for most, but some people to a much larger degree. Most of my friends and family call my house "Michael's play ground" and come by as often as possible to play.

I really think all this has more to do with my wife being completely and totally ok with my collecting. Most of my stuff is in the living room or shelves and stuff. Very little of it is hidden from people that come over. Many people ask if I have this game or that. Few ever ask if they can play it, but I always offer and many take me up on it.

I can't say anyone has ever been negative about it. I do have a friend that can't understand all the money I spend sometimes, but then again he buys cars all the time, so I don't take much direction from him.

I have never had any negative responses, but everyone that walks into the game room seems to light up. Most people have a grin on the face, and I can tell their eyes are going nuts trying to decided which shelf to scan with their eyes. A lot of people get the impression that I have a mini game museum and that I could be "rich" with all of this stuff, and I have to go on to explain that none of it is really worth *that* much, and that it would pretty much equal out to a few months of gas money.

I love it when people come in that have never seen half of the things I have, like the coleco, intellivison systems, the adam, the famicom stuff.. its excited. I always boot the Adam up for people to check out too. The only computer you'll ever see playing legit colecovision games lol.

I have never had any negative responses, but everyone that walks into the game room seems to light up. Most people have a grin on the face, and I can tell their eyes are going nuts trying to decided which shelf to scan with their eyes. A lot of people get the impression that I have a mini game museum and that I could be "rich" with all of this stuff, and I have to go on to explain that none of it is really worth *that* much, and that it would pretty much equal out to a few months of gas money.

I love it when people come in that have never seen half of the things I have, like the coleco, intellivison systems, the adam, the famicom stuff.. its excited. I always boot the Adam up for people to check out too. The only computer you'll ever see playing legit colecovision games lol.

I get similar reactions. I don't have room to set up most of my collection at one time, but every once in a while I'll unpack a classic computer or console and bring it to a friend or family member's house for some retro gaming. During one on-campus graduation party, for example, a couple of us brought a bunch of snacks and drinks into the Computer Science labs, and hooked up our video game systems of choice to the overhead projectors: one guy brought a Wii, and I brought a 7800 with a box full of cartridges. By the end of the evening, the 7800 was the system getting all the attention. I also brought over my Intellivision collection--complete with ECS Computer Adaptor and Music Synthesizer keyboard--to a Christmas party last year, and some of the veteran Guitar Hero players had fun with Melody Blaster.

As far as for myself and my wife, we dont have a lot of people over to our house now as it is small, a bit rundown and remote. I am working hard to get into a new space and display and show off my stuff. But, when my kids friends come over, most of them are all over whatever systems I have set up at the time. I do have one lone item in my office at work, just a meager sealed 2600 Space Invaders, and it is interesting to see the response; either they miss it altogether, or they immediately launch into how cool that is and what they played as a kid.

The response from my brothers step-kids was pretty funny, especially the girl,

she said (while playing Odyssey 2), I'm sorry you guys had to play these. Refering to older generation gamers! They were also laughing at the old Odyssey 2 graphics. However, they both did like Turtles and the 12 year old boy liked Pick Axe Pete.

Intellivision, I haven't had a second player yet... besides my brother, and he always says though... this is better then Atari 2600. We played Tennis and Astrosmash.

My bro also says, that 7800 is also better then 2600 (he sure likes Food Fight), he hates 2600 for some reason, he says it looks cheap and horrible. lol.

I put on Space Cavern for him to play, and he told me...

Jake?! what the hell is this EXCUSE FOR A GAME?! Would you give me something I can actually play! As I giggled and started to laugh nearby... I had a feeling that was a bad choice outta my 200+ 2600 games.

So next we went with Centipede, and he kinda liked it!!

Hey Mikey!! No complaint :D

Our pal, Scott did spot my Intellivision, and he didn't know it by name...

but when he saw the console, he was like... "" Oh yeah and the controllers go like this"" pawing them (into the slots). Maybe he seen one before.

He gave me compliments on my old school items... and remembers when he was a kid, and seen Atari and Odyssey in his neighbourhood. I think he had Atari 2600 at some point, and checked out a few Atari games, but he loves the XBox 360 now. He's a current gamer.

I had my cousins ex-husband ask if I was selling anything... my brother told him He's still using them. I had no spare systems. I did sell him a gun though. :twisted:

Since I'm younger a lot of my friends don't have the "reminiscing" experience, so it tends to go both ways. Sometimes my friends will think its really cool that I have an interest in vintage gaming, others don't understand it. Most people that don't appreciate the collection say why spend X amount of dollars collecting these when you can play xbox 360 or ps3 :roll::ponder:

Since I'm younger a lot of my friends don't have the "reminiscing" experience, so it tends to go both ways. Sometimes my friends will think its really cool that I have an interest in vintage gaming, others don't understand it. Most people that don't appreciate the collection say why spend X amount of dollars collecting these when you can play xbox 360 or ps3 :roll::ponder:

Cool, I didnt know you were 18?

How did get interested in vintage games?

Yeah I'm a young one. To be honest it was a shallow start, I definitely wasn't hooked from the beginning. I started to collect because it was another way to be different from the rest (something I take pride in). It was a while before I actually gave the games a chance, and for me it was an acquired taste. At first I found them to be a decent way to pass time, but nothing special. It took a long time, but after a while I became hooked. Now I'm spending hours trying to break my high scores, and trying to track down games I haven't played before :)

I don't have a lot of "hanging out" friends these days, but the ones I do have know all about my collection and think it's pretty cool. I used to not bring it up around people that didn't know, but I've found that you can score decent deals (or sometimes free stuff!) from co-workers and family who think you might be interested in old stuff they have laying around.

From the upstairs of our house, you would hardly know we were into gaming, aside from the PS2 and X-Box fairly hidden in our entertainment center. Downstairs in the basement is where it gets interesting, and usually what I hear from first timers is "WOW!" icon_shades.gif Whether it's the 16+ systems set up, the multitude of hand helds, to shelves and shelves of misc stuff, some people have a hard time taking it all in on a single visit. Like others have said, people assume you have a ton of money tied up in it, but that's not really true. Maybe when taken as a whole, but no one item is of any particular value.

Plus, my collection pretty much covers the entire history of gaming, so no matter how old they are, they see something that can bring back memories. The old "Cool, I remember that......"

Also, I'm into other stuff like sci-fi collectables and guitars and basses, and it's all on display in the same space.

Basically, we live like we were still 12-13 years old, but with two full time incomes. icon_smile.gif