IGNORED

Joypads Atari CX-78 - two versions?

Atari_Falcon

I wonder why Atari Corp. bothered to do that. The standard 2-button works perfectly fine on the 2600 and XE. Would the second button have somehow screwed with ST compatibility or something?

It definitely had to do with the ST. Remember, the ST was vastly more popular in Europe compared to North America. And I say that as a North American ST owner. It was definitely not a good idea to plug in 7800 controllers into an ST.

Another sad thing in the European Atari divisions promoting these crippled CX78s for ST users is it probably had a negative effect of getting owners to use the ST Pads/JagPads when the STe debuted. Had there been more uptake of them in Europe, the publishing houses would've actually supported them. And one thing the ST gamer community is still lacking is a will to mod those games to include ST Pad/JagPad support in them for multi-button action or 4/8 player capabilities with the Jag TeamTap. They have done an excellent job removing copy protection, adding hard drive installation support, and getting the games to run on later edition hardware [blitter chips, STe DMA audio, different TOS versions, different 680x0 CPUs, etc] but still no JagPad support unless the games themselves have been ported to the Jag.

I just got one of the cx-78 pads that the second button does not work on the 7800 games that support it. Can anybody give some direction on how to fix this problem. I saw some people talking about a missing resistor but I was hoping I could get a more detailed fix. Also I noted that there is glue over the top middle and bottom middle screws is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got one of the cx-78 pads that the second button does not work on the 7800 games that support it. Can anybody give some direction on how to fix this problem. I saw some people talking about a missing resistor but I was hoping I could get a more detailed fix. Also I noted that there is glue over the top middle and bottom middle screws is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, sorry to hear that! masschamber filled me in on this last month - he said that Atari disabled the second button function "in the laziest way possible - they pulled a resistor." Maybe follow-up directly with him if you have further q's or would like some specific instructions on how to fix it? Also, I've never seen glue on any of the screws before.

Btw, hope you've been enjoying the games that you purchased from me earlier in the week!

• Like 1