IGNORED

Atari ST and SONY PVM monitors

thgill

Anyone with any experience using any of the Atari ST machines with a Sony PVM monitor via rgb? I know the RGB output on the ST is a bit non standard so I am curious as to how well they would work with any of the PVM series monitors. A single PAL and NTSC switchable monitor that also has RGB inputs would be great for my 8 and 16 bit Atari computers and consoles. Probably looking at one of the 19 inch models.

I have seen some good deals on the 'bay and wondering what I can expect from using one with any of the ST's.

Edited by thgill

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, went ahead and ordered a Sony PVM-14N6U monitor. 2 Composite, 2 S-video and 1 RGB inputs. NTSC, PAL and SECAM (lol) auto switching on all inputs.

My question is about interfacing my 520STe with it. Since it has a modulator in it, it outputs composite video on pin 2 of the 13 pin din instead of composite sync like on the non modulator equipped ST's. Course it has H and V sync out, however the Sony like most broadcast style monitors takes only composite sync via its rear BNC connectors. Although I know Euro TV's via their Scart connection will typically accept composite video as a sync input (internally stripping out the sync?), though most of these broadcast monitors like the Sony, JVC and Panasonic series don't like it. They might give you a picture, but far from the glorious RGB quality that it should be.

I am familiar with the use of a LM1881 sync stripper. My question is has anyone ever successfully used one with a STe to hook up to something similar to the Sony?

Ok, went ahead and ordered a Sony PVM-14N6U monitor. 2 Composite, 2 S-video and 1 RGB inputs. NTSC, PAL and SECAM (lol) auto switching on all inputs.

My question is about interfacing my 520STe with it. Since it has a modulator in it, it outputs composite video on pin 2 of the 13 pin din instead of composite sync like on the non modulator equipped ST's. Course it has H and V sync out, however the Sony like most broadcast style monitors takes only composite sync via its rear BNC connectors. Although I know Euro TV's via their Scart connection will typically accept composite video as a sync input (internally stripping out the sync?), though most of these broadcast monitors like the Sony, JVC and Panasonic series don't like it. They might give you a picture, but far from the glorious RGB quality that it should be.

I am familiar with the use of a LM1881 sync stripper. My question is has anyone ever successfully used one with a STe to hook up to something similar to the Sony?

prolly better to use a sync combiner and use the separate Hsync and Vsync from the ST

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is old but wanted to add some further info for others looking (I was).

I soldered up an RGB cable using the RGB lines from the monitor port and the composite sync (pin #2 if I recall correctly), and this works with my PAL STE and Sony 14" PVM perfectly, just remember to push the button on the monitor for external sync! Picture looks absolutely great.

post-10434-0-33006700-1473118558_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ahh the PVM/BVM...I loved my sony bvm 20". I used it or all my rgb stuff until i found a hitachi 37" 4:3 plasma monitor. I run a scanline generator on the vga line and oh man is it amazing. Im waiting for my vga low res cable in the mail so i can hook up my 1040stf to it. Im in process of mounting the hitachi to the wall and that will allow more space for systems to be hooked up. Here's a few pics of my old bvm setup though (next to it is a 27 NEC presentation rgb crt monitor) with a few of my most played systems:

post-42412-0-08516400-1475975730_thumb.jpg

post-42412-0-12166600-1475975735_thumb.jpg

post-42412-0-66867600-1475975740_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, quackmore said:

I know this is an old thread, but I am getting a Sony BVM monitor. Does anyone make an ST to BVM RGB cable?

You probably want to get a SCART adapter for your BVM. Then you can just get a standard ST to SCART cable. As a bonus you can also use it for any other machine that has a SCART output.

Mitch