IGNORED

How do you open Starflight cart for Sega Genesis

SegaShooters

Can someone recommend a way to open the Starflight cart that has the 3-point screw or know where to get the security toolbit?

Thanks.

I assume you are talking about a Tri-wing screw? It looks like a Phillip's, but instead of 4 it has 3. If you look up Tri-wing Screw Driver or Bit you should be able to find them all over. My suggestion to anyone into classic gaming is getting a security driver set that way you have all your bases covered.

• Like 1

I appreciate the reply StoneAgeGamer,

Can you refer me to a link where I can buy this Tri-Wing / Tri Groove Security Bit?

I've been searching and am having a problem finding this.

Thanks.

Can someone recommend a way to open the Starflight cart that has the 3-point screw or know where to get the security toolbit?

Thanks.

I assume you are talking about a Tri-wing screw? It looks like a Phillip's, but instead of 4 it has 3. If you look up Tri-wing Screw Driver or Bit you should be able to find them all over. My suggestion to anyone into classic gaming is getting a security driver set that way you have all your bases covered.

The EA screws for genesis carts are a little different than a standard tri-wing, and way different than standard genesis carts. They're more like a radiation symbol in that the center is raised, not lowered, so triwing drivers don't fit. They can be a real pain, I had to open a buck rogers for a battery change once. I did it with a pair of needle nose pliers, and some extra time.

There are folks who melt the end of a little plastic rod (or pen) and shove it in there to create a makeshift tool. That's not my style though.

If anybody does make a specific bit for it, I'm all ears. I have most of the game-specific tools, but that isn't in my arsenal yet. It seems to be a real oddball tool.

Edited by Reaperman

Hi Reaperman,

I'll try it as a last resort, i'm concerned about stripping the screw.

Ticks me off, NHL Hockey carts use Philips Head screws and they had to use these buggers for Starflight! :x

The EA screws for genesis carts are a little different than a standard tri-wing, and way different than standard genesis carts. They're more like a radiation symbol in that the center is raised, not lowered, and they can be a real pain (I had to open a buck rogers for a battery change). I did it with a pair of needle nose pliers, and some extra time.

There are folks who melt the end of a little plastic rod (or pen) and shove it in there to create a makeshift tool. That's not my style though.

If anybody does make a specific bit for it, I'm all ears. I have most of the game-specific tools, but that isn't in my arsenal yet.

Heck I don't see why they didn't use that little yellow clip for battery access (I'm guessing that's why you want in to start with). Logic would suggest that yellow clip would make a handy way to get to the battery without fully opening the cart, but noooooo, that would have been too easy.

• Like 2

The EA screws for genesis carts are a little different than a standard tri-wing, and way different than standard genesis carts.

It's a 4.5mm security bit driver.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-1150&CAWELAID=220251912

That what most genesis games use, but not the EA carts. They really are like a little radiation symbol. It needs 3 blades, but they *can't* come together in the center (like on triwing).

At least if it's like mine.

Edited by Reaperman

Thanks for the link, i'll check it out but at first glance it doesn't have a bit for the 120 degree slot which is what the screw has... :?:

The EA screws for genesis carts are a little different than a standard tri-wing, and way different than standard genesis carts.

It's a 4.5mm security bit driver.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-1150&CAWELAID=220251912

Edited by SegaShooters

It makes perfect sense, but logic is a four letter word these days, right?

Heck I don't see why they didn't use that little yellow clip for battery access (I'm guessing that's why you want in to start with). Logic would suggest that yellow clip would make a handy way to get to the battery without fully opening the cart, but noooooo, that would have been too easy.

That what most genesis games use, but not the EA carts. They really are like a little radiation symbol. It needs 3 blades, but they *can't* come together in the center (like on triwing).

Ah yes. I have EA carts that have the 4.5mm screw, and others that have the odd tri type (called holt screw heads I believe). I've actually used a forked two bladed security bit to remove those. I don't recall what that bit is called.

You need a security bit set and a good rechargeable screwdriver. This bit set is the one I have and is relatively cheap. It does every security screw I have come across on game carts other than the standard NES, SNES, and Genesis cart screws. Those need the 4.5 mm and 6 mm 6-lug bits like somebody linked earlier in this thread.

Security bit set

I have circled the spanner type bits in the following image that I use on the EA Genesis three-wing security screws. These spanner bits will only engage two of the three inserts in the screw heads, and will therefore turn slightly off-center, but they will remove and re-tighten those screws.

securitybitset03.jpg

Thanks, i'll check that out too!

You need a security bit set and a good rechargeable screwdriver. This bit set is the one I have and is relatively cheap. It does every security screw I have come across on game carts other than the standard NES, SNES, and Genesis cart screws. Those need the 4.5 mm and 6 mm 6-lug bits like somebody linked earlier in this thread.

Security bit set

I have circled the spanner type bits in the following image that I use on the EA Genesis three-wing security screws. These spanner bits will only engage two of the three inserts in the screw heads, and will therefore turn slightly off-center, but they will remove and re-tighten those screws.

securitybitset03.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi all! Sorry to dredge a topic from the graveyard, but I certainly didn't want my very first post here to be a brand new thread.

I've been looking for a solid solution to the above described "Radiation Symbol" Tri-Groove (?) screws like Electronic Arts used on many of their Sega Genesis Carts (And apparently used ole' standard phillips on the rest) I don't have the skills (or sanity) to construct my own device, so I'm hoping that in the time since this thread was originally posted, someone has found an easy to use bit or screwdriver that is very obtainable and works well in these specific situations. I've scoured the Internet and there is very little to go on that isn't a part of this thread itself. There are 3 YouTube videos about opening EA Sega Genesis carts, 2 focus on the yellow tab, one mentions phillips screws and not a single one even touches on the "Tri-Groove" ones.

Thank you very much for your time whomever responds. 

On 1/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, remowilliams said:

You might still be best off using the 'spanner bit' shown in the pictures above, unless you can locate a Holt style bit.

Agreed, that might be the best course of action. I was holding out hope that someone would show up with a perfect solution they had discovered in the long time since this thread was originally a thing.

2 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Are you talking about this style?

There are absolutely a few sockets on that page that might be worth a shot. Certainly closer than some of the other things I dug up on my own. Between that and the spanner bit I think we might be able to find a winner. I'll order a couple things this week and report back when I can. Thanks again!

On 2/17/2011 at 5:02 PM, Reaperman said:

I thought how awesome that would be to pull off that piece and change the battery. You have a great mind Reaperman!