IGNORED

dead island

xg4bx

an 8.5 from game informer-

I’ve played a lot of zombie games in my time, and Dead Island scratched an itch I didn’t even know I had. Cooperative undead survival is nothing new to gaming, but exploring a gigantic zombie-infested island with friends is. I easily poured over 40 hours into my playthrough, and a new game plus promises even more entertainment. Rewarding character progression and the vast variety of weapons should appeal to anyone looking for a good time. If you’ve spent your time planning for the zombie apocalypse, Dead Island is the best option so far to test how long you’d last.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dead_island/b/xbox360/archive/2011/09/05/a-few-missing-limbs-can-t-hold-back-this-undead-romp.aspx

new game+!? sweet! this wont be leaving my 360 until skyrim comes out.

got it last night. awesome. its giving me total oblivion and fallout flashbacks: huge world, skill tree, loot out the wazoo, etc. i probably killed 10,000 zombies and the combat never gets old. the game is surprisingly challenging too.

its fun and exactly what i expected it to be. it'll certainly tide me over until skyrim comes out.

I guess I'm just weird because yet another zombie game just doesn't do it for me.

But you can decapitate two zombies, shove your feet in their neck holes, and wear their heads as shoes! Or maybe I'm thinking about another zombie game.

I picked this up on Steam and after reading their forums you'd think I was the sole person in the world who is running it without the program burning down the house and raping the dog...

I've been having quite a lot of fun with it, haven't had any crashes or game breaking stuff yet. That's not to say it doesn't have issues (gamma changing is totally fooked, dlc stuff isn't working properly, the FoV is wrong for PCs, and multi is apparently having some nasty issues)

I sort of had a huge MEH at yet another zombie game, but I do like it quite a bit so far.

i've seen "meh another zombie game" several times. i'm of the mind that this is the only zombie game out there that does it right. left 4 dead may as well have been robots running at you, it was 3d robotron and the zombies were incidental. same for dead rising.

dead island isn't perfect but its faaaar closer to what zombies are all about and the tone of a zombie film than others that just happen to have zombies as enemies.

dead island isn't perfect but its faaaar closer to what zombies are all about and the tone of a zombie film than others that just happen to have zombies as enemies.

After spending a bunch more time with Dead Island, I have to echo this sentiment. Survival in this game can be tough, and you often find yourself pausing to evaluate what your strategy is going to be for trying to survive the next couple of blocks or area that you need to get through. And also often madly running for your life trying to escape certain death. Knowing when to fight and when to run makes the difference between life and death.

Now, I do really like L4D/2 quite a bit but they are very different games. Try that sort of thing in Dead Island and well, you'll be Dead in no time. :D

This game flew totally under my radar. Didn't even now about it until recently. I've never played a zombie game that felt right to me, but this game sounds like it might come very close. My gaming budget (money and time) is already mapped out for the rest of the year, so Dead Island will have to wait until next year (or a price drop ;)), but this game is going to the top of my want list.

After spending a bunch more time with Dead Island, I have to echo this sentiment. Survival in this game can be tough, and you often find yourself pausing to evaluate what your strategy is going to be for trying to survive the next couple of blocks or area that you need to get through. And also often madly running for your life trying to escape certain death. Knowing when to fight and when to run makes the difference between life and death.

Now, I do really like L4D/2 quite a bit but they are very different games. Try that sort of thing in Dead Island and well, you'll be Dead in no time. :D

are you from avsforum as well? man, that makes me, you, and leoames... :)

i've been playing this game non-stop and even when i'm not playing i'm thinking about playing. i think i'm far more addicted to it than i was to fallout and oblivion.

i have my problems with it: zombies have a habit or gathering at the bottom of ladders and slaughtering you when you climb down, you get swarmed too easily and constantly ( sometimes you just want to get from A to B without constant running battles)and sometimes it feels like enemies just spawn right behind you but other than that the fun i'm having far outweighs any gripes.

for me skyrim is going to have alot to live up to because i'm enjoying dead island's brand of action rpg so much.

Dead Island review: Zombie game doesn't live up to the trailer.

Link

this game is getting pretty mixed reviews. here EGM gives it a 9.5/10-

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-dead-island/

"And that’s the thing. Dead Island had some lofty goals, but Techland brought it all home in style. It’s hardly a shot-for-shot re-creation of the epic trailer, but this isn’t just another zombie game, either. It’s a once-in-a-hardware-generation gauntlet tossed confidently at the feet of sad storytellers who seem incapable of exiting the traditional notion of what gamers want. It may not have the big-budget backing of other open-world adventures, but Dead Island’s every bit as deep, more than capable as a multiplayer experience, and surprisingly polished in places most games stumble. If you’re looking for a viable alternative to world war, wizards, or warriors, this is definitely it."

Bought it for the PS3 today and played around 2 or 3 hours I think. So far I enjoy it a lot and would enjoy it even more with a friend. A HUGE thank you for the developers for putting a LAN option! The only thing I notice is sometimes when zombies get really close, some of my attacks don't register I think. Not that big of a deal, a patch will cure that. Not exactly the zombie game I've been wanting for 10+ years, a good step toward it, however it's not just another zombie game.

• 7 months later...

Wow I finally got around to trying this game out and all I can say is.... I'm sold.

Sure it seems like it takes main elements from around a half dozen other games, mashes them all up, and presents itself as the latest and greatest while never quite living up to the original game it took from (Far Cry, Diablo, Fallout, Left4Dead etc...) this is still a fantastic effort. I wasn't convince by any videos or reviews I saw that this game would be anything other than a low budget Left4Dead rip off set in a more open world, but while it might be that, it's also a lot more. Loving the RPG aspects. Driving around mowing down corpses. Finding items to build crazy new weapons (Ala Dead Rising 2) All the side quests. I could go on and on, but I know I'm just gushing.

If you haven't tried this game yet. I highly recommend it. I can't believe this only cost me $25 shipped!! WOOOOT!!

Wow I finally got around to trying this game out and all I can say is.... I'm sold.

Sure it seems like it takes main elements from around a half dozen other games, mashes them all up, and presents itself as the latest and greatest while never quite living up to the original game it took from (Far Cry, Diablo, Fallout, Left4Dead etc...) this is still a fantastic effort. I wasn't convince by any videos or reviews I saw that this game would be anything other than a low budget Left4Dead rip off set in a more open world, but while it might be that, it's also a lot more. Loving the RPG aspects. Driving around mowing down corpses. Finding items to build crazy new weapons (Ala Dead Rising 2) All the side quests. I could go on and on, but I know I'm just gushing.

If you haven't tried this game yet. I highly recommend it. I can't believe this only cost me $25 shipped!! WOOOOT!!

Thanks will do!

One thing that I don't care for is that all the weapons wear out right? You never keep anyhing?

I hate that and thats the ONLY thing that prevented me from buying the game. Also are there any timed events in it? Dont like those either.

(Of course I'm referring to elements from Dead Rising)

(Far Cry, Diablo, Fallout, Left4Dead etc...)

From what little I played of it, it seemed more like Borderlands than any of those other games.

Which was disappointing, the pre-release trailers made it look a lot cooler.

From what little I played of it, it seemed more like Borderlands than any of those other games.

Yep another game it is similar to for sure. Borderland actually takes elements from the games I listed as well. It's looting and item presentation (4 classes and colors based on rareness) is straight from Diablo.

One thing that I don't care for is that all the weapons wear out right? You never keep anyhing?

The melee weapons do wear out over time until they "break" and become in-effective. No reason to throw them out though. All can be repaired and/or upgraded at a work bench.

Upgraded weapons usually have higher stats including durability. My character (The Asian girl who is a master of sharp weapons) had perks that further increased the durability of sharp weapons. The weapons show up as different colors depending on there rareness (Think Diablo, or later Borderlands)

You can carry around a dozen weapons in your inventory (more with the Deeper Pocket perks) and equip around 7 of those, when one wears out, a quick flip of the right bumper switches to another. When you make it back to a base, just repair everything and you're good to go again.

I haven't seen any time events. Although I'm only about 10% in to the main story so there might be some later. I just can't turn down a side quest!!