IGNORED

dead island

xg4bx

One thing is for sure. The game is no pushover once you get into it. I've been making my way through (at around 46% of the main story and at lvl 30) but the game is getting pretty difficult at this point. I'm guessing the point is you are supposed to team up with others if you want to make progression easier. Still having a blast, but dying is now becoming a frequent reality as opposed to the first 10 levels or so where I had no problems staying alive.

Old Smoky ? Where do you find one of these and what does it do?

Right now my primary weapon is a High Voltage Gold Cane Cutter that I made, with several other electrified machetes as back up.

I died around a half dozen times today. I get surrounded my mobs of the dead and no amount of swinging helps at that point! LOL

Edit: Ah I looked it up. I haven't made it to the jungle yet. I do have the quest where I have to do some spying which is how you get the Ol Smoky mod, so I imagine it'll come soon. Hope it helps!

When in dire peril, jump onto dumpsters or cars and start kicking like a madman. :)

Yeah broken down ambulances are a life saver! Problem is wouldn't have helped in the least today. I was on the last mission where you have to turn on loud speakers throughout the city. I was very close to the first speaker, in the center of town (the third part of the quest) . Never actually saw it, because the path was taking me into a building, and about 3 infected (Those crappy zombies that run at you at top speed) came at me as soon as I entered the room. I killed them all, started to follow the path again, and got hit, two more infected had entered the room, I killed them, turned around and started follwing the path, got hit a again, 3 more infected and finally took me out. I respawned, and continued back on my way, exact same thing happened. Respawned started back in I figured I'd killed around a 16 of them or more, they have to eventually stop. Nope, got hit again by these guys and again. 4 deaths in like 2 minutes, the hilarious part is, that quest is considered Medium. I think maybe I just really suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Old smokey is a mod you make to a weapon. I don't remember where I found it, but it's one of the more used ones I got. Some mods you get for doing missions, others you just find lying around. Look for what looks like a rolled up piece of paper, and be sure to loot everything you can, especially computers, as some of these mods want lots of batteries, wires and duct tape.

Hated those loudspeaker missions. At least one you find on the ground, but it's not obvious how you get to it, you got to knock crap out of the way and crawl under some stuff to get to it.

Since getting the Old Smokey mod (after spying in the jungle) the game has indeed seemed to get easier.

That loudspeaker quest sucks though. I was on a dumpster trying to get to the next speaker, which was also right across from an infected spawn point, and they never did stop spawning.

I had a big pile of infected at the base of the dumpster before I decided to just run for it.

Difficulty : medium.... my ass. ;-)

Has anyone played it on easy? How much easier is it than medium difficulty?

There is no main game setting. The quests you get are marked by the difficulty. The loud speaker quest was labled Medium and was a side quest. Really the game isn't all that hard I suppose. You can pretty much just outrun just about everything in the game. What made that tough for me is that infected run at you at full speed at all times, you can knock them back but they screem and run right back at you so an unlimited supply of them is pretty tough to deal with especially in close quarters.

Game of the Year Edition June 26th

http://kotaku.com/5912309/return-to-dead-island-this-summer-with-the-game-of-the-year-edition

For those who cant see the link:

"

The Dead Island Game of the Year Edition, due out June 26 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, combines the game, both bouts of downloadable content, and the blueprint for the Ripper weapon mod in one $29.99 package.

"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done with this game. I tried so hard to give it a chance. But it is so full of bugs, it's amazing that the developers felt it was ready for retail.

God forbid you quit before you reach a save point, you never know where you'll end up (usually someplace completely random). For instance, I was in the middle of a quest, died, and saved the game. When I started a new game, it threw me into a completely different quest.

The most recent WTF moment occurred during the quest where you need to bring food from the church to the life guard tower. First, I received no message indicating that I had started a new quest, so when I walked out to the armored truck it suddenly transported me to the tunnel entrance. I was confused, so I tried to drive back into the tunnel, and got the armored truck stuck. In the process of fighting off one of the fiery zombies, I dropped my good machete. Figuring I was stuck, I went back to the last check point. When the game started again, I had no machete, and the armored truck was missing from outside the church. That was the last straw for me.

The Nicolai quest doesn't even exist. If you choose thhat quest from the Quest Menu, no path appears. Another WTF.

All the bugs aside, I just got tired of the same repetitive gameplay: Get to new area, meet new group of whiny people who need you to run all over the place collecting things for them, get to another new area, meet another group of idiots. Rinse, repeat.

Shame, because this game had so much potential, too.

My 2 cents.

-B

• Like 1

i must have a magic 360 because i literally never run into bugs in games that are supposedly bug filled. i had no problems with this game nor any bethesda game which are also supposedly rotten with glitches.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a difficulty setting? I didn't know that, but I just play on whatever the game is set on normally (I play most games that way, unless I beat it and still want to play, then I'll crank it up)

Anyone tried the new (well, few months old at this point) Ryder White mission (sp) I almost never download new missions, but that one sounded cool. Basically turns the game into a more FPSish game from the standpoint of the dude behind the mic LOL. I haven't started it yet, I'm still playing the jungle, trying to clear out what I haven't finished yet before going to the prison....but when I finish I think I'll start that one up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just started playing this and so far, it's kind of like Skyrim with zombies. I am free to jump over things and take shortcuts instead of only being limited to certain paths. I don't know what the game will be like later, but so far, unlike other zombie games, I'm not getting attacked by 500 zombies at the same time.