IGNORED

Intellivision`s - Arcade ports

JacobZu7zu7

I tend to read either in system review or in forums that Intellivision has bad arcade games, and play too slow...

I disagree with this!

Examples,

Pac-man

Defender

Centipede

Frogger

Popeye

Mouse Trap

Venture

NONE of these are poor, if anything half play better then the 2600 ones!

Centipede and Frogger I prefer on Atari but Intellivision does just fine with arcade titles!

The trick is being able to find them... still looking for affordable Pac-man/Defender.

But I've seen pics and videos, and Pac-man looks just like the arcade! (HELLO!!! BAD ARCADE conversions?? YA' JOKIN ME?!) :twisted:

I even enjoy Donkey Kong on Intellivision... it's choppy and unpolished but still like it more then the dull 2600 one.

I somewhat agree

I do think Pac-Man is a tad slow, but not real bad.

I really like DK Junior

Liked Popeye, but didn't think it controlled smooth going up and down the stairs.

I do agree Centipede is better on the 2600. But back in the day all i had was the Intv version and i liked it.

One i thought controlled better on the Intellivision than any other system was Q-bert. Only played it once, but it seemed like the controller was designed for it.

Dig Dug looks nice

What about Commando?

Isn't Burgertime considered an Arcade Port? :cool:

Isn't Burgertime considered an Arcade Port? :cool:

Y, and so is Lock 'n' Chase.

I also don't see Carnival, Turbo, or Zaxxon in the OP.

BTW, Venture on INTV is great. I think the disc controller works excellent with this game.

Venture does play smooth and fast! Well, I like the hardest setting 4,

the other ones are too easy.

Lock N chase was an Arcade game?! Wow, and it's done nice I bet.

I can't believe Burgertime didn't enter my mind... it's the best ever home console version, probably better then the arcade.

Q-Bert I haven't played yet on Intell.

Based on quality, Intellivision did better arcade ports then Atari VCS.

With a few exceptions... but when you break it down.

I'm sure Zaxxon is stronger then the 2600 one.

Actually, I never saw the arcade version of Lock 'n' Chase. I only know I've read before that Mattel licensed a bunch of Data East arcade games for the Intellivision, including Burgertime, Lock 'n' Chase, and Bump 'n' Jump.

They tied into Data East sort of how Atari locked themselves into Namco and Williams pretty heavily.

And as for the comparison between 2600 and INTV Zaxxon, they are just about equivalent in graphical style. In fact, they look almost identical, not much like arcade Zaxxon.

Edited by tz101

Actually, I never saw the arcade version of Lock 'n' Chase. I only know I've read before that Mattel licensed a bunch of Data East arcade games for the Intellivision, including Burgertime, Lock 'n' Chase, and Bump 'n' Jump.

They tied into Data East sort of how Atari locked themselves into Namco and Williams pretty heavily.

And as for the comparison between 2600 and INTV Zaxxon, they are just about equivalent in graphical style. In fact, they look almost identical, not much like arcade Zaxxon.

More like by the time that Matell was looking to port over aracade games, most of the major companies had been locked up allready. They had to settle for what they could get. Data East was the biggest company Matell could find, but none of them arcade games were really well known -- until Burgertime came out, which was a whole other story. :)

More like by the time that Matell was looking to port over aracade games, most of the major companies had been locked up allready. They had to settle for what they could get. Data East was the biggest company Matell could find, but none of them arcade games were really well known -- until Burgertime came out, which was a whole other story. :)

True comment, but I must admit those three titles are 3 of my all-time favourites for the INTV. :)

Lock n Chase was originally released on the DECO Cassette System which is pretty rare (I have one). However it was popular enough to be released on a dedicated board along with Burgertime and Bump n Jump. Mission X may also have been released in non-DECO form, I'm not sure about that.

Tempest

Stay tuned. It'll probably be a bit of a while longer, but grievances shall be redressed. :)

-dZ.

Hey, after you make this "mystery" game. :ponder: How about making the Ms. version? :lust:

Edited by revolutionika

Stay tuned. It'll probably be a bit of a while longer, but grievances shall be redressed. :)

-dZ.

Hey, after you make this "mystery" game. :ponder: How about making the Ms. version? :lust:

That's in the long term agenda, along with an original concept that I want to develop. However, apart from having very little experience, I only get the weekends to work on these projects, so it'll be a long while.

-dZ.

I tend to read either in system review or in forums that Intellivision has bad arcade games, and play too slow...

I disagree with this!

Examples,

Pac-man

Defender

Centipede

Frogger

Popeye

Mouse Trap

Venture

NONE of these are poor, if anything half play better then the 2600 ones!

Centipede and Frogger I prefer on Atari but Intellivision does just fine with arcade titles!

The trick is being able to find them... still looking for affordable Pac-man/Defender.

But I've seen pics and videos, and Pac-man looks just like the arcade! (HELLO!!! BAD ARCADE conversions?? YA' JOKIN ME?!) :twisted:

I even enjoy Donkey Kong on Intellivision... it's choppy and unpolished but still like it more then the dull 2600 one.

Intellivision was overall a very, very powerful system, able to replicating arcade style graphics. The intellivision was ahead of it's time, it was a 16-BIT system after all... even arcade games were only 8-bit. Should have had a longer, more "robust" life than it actually did. No doubt about it.

For games the graphics chip matters more than the CPU though. One could even argue that the 16-bit CPU is a disadvantage since most programmers would be more familiar to the more widely used 6502 and Z80 CPUs. STIC was pretty good for a games console though.

The CP-1600 was quirky, but from what I understand it was based on the PDP, so its architecture wasn't all that unfamiliar. The EXEC offered an effective game engine that was reasonable for many games, and the STIC abstracted most of the display aspects by providing a graphics buffer. This made it significantly easier to draw graphics on the Intellivision (though purely tile based), while on the Atari you basically had to chase the electron gun around and build your own buffers.

For the casual consumer, the fact that most Intellivision games had multi-colored backgrounds made it immediately seem superior to the typical Atari game of the time, which had colorful sprites on an all black field.

It is really a shame that the console did not live as long as it could, or that its reach and recognition wasn't as far spread as the Atari VCS. To this day, when I tell my friends and colleagues that I'm making old 80s video games, I have to qualify it with "like for Atari and stuff," because chances are that none of them had ever heard of the Intellivision.

-dZ.