IGNORED

HSC Rules for Season 4

VectorGamer

The following are the rules to commence with season 4

Game Requests

Please review the DO NOT PLAY list for games that cannot be played for various reasons.

Games selected must be available on both arcade & MAME platforms.

Each round, a game will be chosen from a list of games suggested by AA members. Suggestions can be posted by anyone at anytime to the Arcade/MAME HSC Game Requests Thread. Requests will be added to the respective player's request queue in thread post #1.

The forum moderator will then try to rotate amongst the player requests so everyone gets an opportunity to play their favorite games. The requests in the queue will be crossed out as they are played as a means of tracking the rotation of requests.

Games that have received multiple tournament nominations that are not voted in are dumped into the Holiday Season Tournament queue for the first half of the season and then the Independence Day Craptacular for the second half of the season.

If no suggestions are submitted, the forum leader shall pick a game for the round.

Rounds

The forum leader will create a topic in this subforum for each round's game.

Rounds will typically run for 1 week. The forum moderator may delay the start or extend the round based on their schedule.

At the end of each round, the thread will be locked.

Game Play

Games can be played on actual arcade machines or via emulators. No console compilation CDs/cartridges, P-N-P joysticks that contain these games et al will be accepted.

Absolutely NO CONTINUES.

Game settings (i.e. Dip Switches) to be used will be documented in the first post of the respective game's thread. The forum moderator is encouraged, but not required, to keep the game settings inline with Twin Galaxies' settings for a respective game. Those settings can be found by searching the Twin Galaxies scoreboard.

Once you have a score, post it in the topic for the week's game. Pictures/screenshots of your score are not required, but are always welcome. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to show off your machine, or your achievment!

Please do not sandbag scores.

Please, do not cheat! Do not use the cheat abilities of the games (i.e. using the speed cheat in Pac Man, unlimited lives, "God Mode", etc.) There are no prizes for winning, other than the points awarded (and bragging rights, of course) so please don't ruin this for everyone else.

Please, do not abuse bugs/glitches in the games! Many games have loopholes that allow you score tons of points with little or no chance of losing a life.

HSC Season

The season will begin with a doubleheader selected by the previous season's champion. If that player is no longer participating in the AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC, then selections will be requested by the previous season's runner-up and subsequently from highest to lowest in the previous season's final standings. Any titles in the Arcade/MAME universe can be selected.

The forum moderator, at their discretion, may add a second concurrent title for an HSC round. The doubleheader rounds should be limited to once per calendar month.

The season will commence on Sunday, August 21, 2011 and conclude Sunday, July 22, 2012.

Tournaments:

Should contain no more than 10 games and are voted on by the members or selected by the forum moderator.

Should last no longer than two calendar weeks

Do not augment weekly rounds

Have a modified point system discussed below

Tournaments for season 4:

•  
  • Labor Day: Time range 1996-2005
  • Thanksgiving: 1981
  • Holiday Season Craptacular: multi-nominee games not played in the first two tournaments + crap titles (tournament will start first Sunday after Xmas)
  • Spring Break Tournament: Time range 1991-1995 + 5 game manufacturer challange
  • Memorial Day Tournament: Time range 1986-1990 + 1 racing game + 4 game manufacturer challenge
  • Independence Day Craptacular: multi-nominee games not played in Spring Break and Memorial Day tourneys + crap titles

Point Distribution

The point system is designed to reward players for top scores and as an incentive to push the scores higher.

Points will be awarded as follows for weekly HSC rounds:

1st = 15 pts

2nd = 12 pts

3rd = 10 pts

4th = 8 pts

5th = 6 pts

6th = 4 pts

7th = 3 pts

8th = 2 pts

9th & lower = 1 pt

Point Distribution for Tied Scores

Example of final scores with tied scores:

Space Invaders

1. 5000 playerA

1. 5000 playerB

3. 4000 playerC

3. 4000 playerD

5. 2000 playerE

5. 2000 playerF

playerA and playerB each receive 14 points {[1st place point value (15) + 2nd place point value (12)]/2 = 13.5 rounded up to 14}

playerC and playerD receive 9 points {[3rd place value (10) + 4th place value ("8")]/2 = 9}

playerE and playerF each receive 5 points {[5th place value (6) + 6th place value (4)]/2 = 5}

Of course, if there is a tie score for second place only, then the point distribution would be (12 + 10)/2= 11 points

Up to date season standings will be posted in the following round's thread.

Tournament Point Distribution

Per each game:

1st = 6 pts

2nd = 4 pts

3rd = 3 pts

4th and lower = 1 pt

Overall tournament point distribution:

1st = 15 pts

2nd = 12 pts

3rd = 10 pts

4th = 8 pts

5th = 6 pts

6th = 4 pts

7th = 3 pts

8th = 2 pts

9th & lower = 1 pt

Overall standings will be based on a player's average percentage score across all games in the tournament.

For example:

Space Invaders

(Player) (Points Scored in Game) (Percentage Score)

Player1 1000 100%

Player2 750 75%

Player3 500 50%

Player4 200 20%

Asteroids

Player2 1000 100%

Player1 800 80%

Player3 400 40%

Player4 0 0% (did not place a score)

Tournament Standings and Point Distribution would be as follows:

Player1 90% 15 pts

Player2 87.5% 12 pts

Player3 45% 10 pts

Player4 10% 8 pts

So, the total points earned in tournament (using just the two games in the example) would be as follows:

Player1: 6 + 4 + 15 = 25

Player2: 6 + 4 + 12 = 22

Player3: 3 + 3 + 10 = 16

Player4: 1 + 8 = 9

The "Do Not Play" List

Games must be available on both the MAME and Arcade platform. Additionally, there have been games with other issues (such as no score in Jurassic Park or games that just do not work) or content not suitable for all players.

This list will be updated on an as needed basis.

Arcade Only

Computer Space

Death Race

Donkey Kong II: Jumpman Returns

Monaco GP

Graphic Violence

Chiller

Non-working MAME ROMs

Daytona USA

Other

Misfit MAME ROMs

Hyper Sports (controller)

Track & Field (controller)

Scoring Issues

Any two-player only games or games that end at a predetermined score

Jurassic Park

Super Speed Race

Feel free to suggest amendments or rule changes to this thread.

Edited by rmaerz

Sounds good, i like the 1996 thur 2005 tournament. :) :thumbsup:

How about a list of games that are not playable on MAME?

or games that don't have a score/time?

Yes, we can start compiling them and add them to the end of the current rules post. I'll start with some of the ones off of the top of my head and if you know of any add replies to the rules thread.

Yes, we can start compiling them and add them to the end of the current rules post. I'll start with some of the ones off of the top of my head and if you know of any add replies to the rules thread.

For thanksgiving to you mean 1981-1985?

For thanksgiving to you mean 1981-1985?

No. This season we did 1980 for the Labor Day Tournament so next season we'll do 9 games from 1981.

Since we're doing a 1976-1985 tournament this July, I didn't want to saturate the tournaments with games in this time range (even though it's a separate season).

• 3 weeks later...

Since the topic is closed, I just wanted to comment on roadrunner's post from the Battlantis topic:

Elevator Action II is known to cause problems in some versions of MAME, I know that. However, the parent game, Elevator Action Returns, runs just fine. So this should be noted for the future.

• 2 months later...

Everything seems perfect, except I would suggest if you are running a tournament, do not do the weekly game as well. That's just another game to add to the stack of 8 or 10 that we are playing. Trying to master 11 games in two weeks between work schedules is rough.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say for tournaments, it would be nice if everyone submitted scores (not necessarily their final) before the end date so we can get a better feel about how well we need to play each game. Sometimes I get thrown off because a person submitted a score just slightly higher than mine right before the tournament is done.

I would say for tournaments, it would be nice if everyone submitted scores (not necessarily their final) before the end date so we can get a better feel about how well we need to play each game. Sometimes I get thrown off because a person submitted a score just slightly higher than mine right before the tournament is done.

One way this could be implemented would be to set a "pre-deadline" a few days before the end of the tourney (say, the Friday evening before the final weekend). In order to take credit for a given game, the player would need to submit at least one score on or before the pre-deadline to "qualify". Then, all players have the choice of either sticking with that score or spending the rest of the weekend trying to improve it. This would give everyone a chance to get a feel for the level of competition they are up against.

Of course, if somebody was really set on playing trickery with the system, all they'd have to do would be to submit a sandbag score as their first one. But one could argue that's just part of the strategy, I suppose.

And no, it's not lost on me that the two guys suggesting this both submitted last minute scores in the last tourney. :D

I do not think there is any way to enforce having players submit scores well before the deadline.

I did not comment about the late scores posted in the last tourney because my gaming time has been cut significantly by the weather. It's that time of year to get projects done around the house so I assume the same for anyone else.

So for me, it's not a case of sandbagging scores but gaming in the 11th hour.

In that regard, I would rather have players participate in the 11th hour than not at all.

I think the best that can be done is to add a "Please do not sandbag scores" in the rules which I will add.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my latest proposal for season length:

Season Start: Labor Day Tournament

Season End: Flag Day Craptacular.

I do not agree.

I understand that there's less participation during the summer time.

Maybe instead we should have a summer tourney. Something like 10 games for 2 months (July, August)

or

Have all the games in different post for each remaining weeks starting with the 1st week of July and ending with the last week of August (round 42 to round 50 or 52)

This way players would have the opportunity to play the game(s) they prefer whenever they have free time.

Edited by patbb

Here's my latest proposal for season length:

Season Start: Labor Day Tournament

Season End: Flag Day Craptacular.

I do not agree.

I understand that there's less participation during the summer time.

Maybe instead we should have a summer tourney. Something like 10 games for 2 months (July, August)

or

Have all the games in different post for each remaining weeks starting with the 1st week of July and ending with the last week of August (round 42 to round 50 or 52)

This way players would have the opportunity to play the game(s) they prefer whenever they have free time.

How about we start one week before Labor Day with the Champ's Picks Doubleheader for round 1 and then conclude with the Independence Day Craptacular. That would trim the season from 50 to roughly 46-47 weeks.

I'd like to see even fewer tournaments.

I like the labor, spring, and memorial day tourny's.

The tournaments for season 4 will not augment HSC weeks and they have been trimmed back to 6 per season with a cap of 10 games per tournament. So, you're looking at Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Holiday, Spring Break, Memorial Day and Independence Day.

Another item of consideration is perhaps to trim back the number of doubleheader rounds. Maybe restrict them to only months were tournaments are not being played.

Do those changes work for you?

I still think 6 tourny's is too many.

I don't really want to play Turkey Shoot again.

I played that 2 or 3 times now since i've been taking part in this HSC.

I'm cool with the DH'ers since we don't have many of those.

If we reduce the number of tourneys, I'd still like to have a craptacular at the end of each half of the season. So, if we reduce to 4, that would mean a Labor Day, Holiday Season, Spring Break and Independence Tourneys...

DHers would be in Aug, Oct, Nov, Feb, Mar, May & June

I good with 6 tournaments ... what if we do not count the points as part of the Rounds?

So we would have the "regular" season tourney of 45-50 weeks + 6 different tourney.

Or just keep the "overall points" and remove the points for each game.

Or Keep the 6 tourney but do not count the craptacular in the final result.

I also think that Turkey should be remove.

The DH are great, I would like to see more.

I good with 6 tournaments ... what if we do not count the points as part of the Rounds?

So we would have the "regular" season tourney of 45-50 weeks + 6 different tourney.

Or just keep the "overall points" and remove the points for each game.

Or Keep the 6 tourney but do not count the craptacular in the final result.

I also think that Turkey should be remove.

The DH are great, I would like to see more.

Yeah I had Turkey Shoot in there to establish an HSC Turkey Tourney tradition. It wouldn't be any sweat off my balls to remove it.

I can't see we would play the tourneys and not have them count towards the season standings. I like the updated point distribution for tournaments that I proposed.

Bottom line for me is I'd like to see the season shortened from 50 weeks. Ultimately a six week break in the summer would work for me.

I think the tourneys definitely need to count. Having stakes makes it more fun.

Bring on the doubleheaders, as far as I'm concerned. In general I find it much more fun to play a pair of games united by some kind of theme than to play a single obscure game that may or may not be much fun in its own right. For example, that title we played a month or two ago with the roller skating and fighting I found to be a bit of a drag but it could have been much more fun if there was another title to play alongside it.

Alright, seems like we are at:

•  
  • 6 tourneys for the season
  • Double headers remain once per month
  • Turkey Shoot removed from Thanksgiving
  • Tournament points count toward the season standings using the modified point system

Still not enough input on the season duration...

- The HSC Rules above have a proposed 48 week schedule

- I am now proposing a 46 week schedule with season 4 beginning Sunday, August 28 at noon EDT and concluding Monday, July 16 at 3AM EDT (the conclusion of next season's Independence Day Craptacular)

- patbb would like to keep the current 50 week schedule (or perhaps the 48 week schedule as previously proposed if I understand him correctly)

So, unless there is anything else, this is the last issue to be resolved. I am going to add a poll at the top of the page and see what happens...

I'd like to see fewer tourny's and more DH'ers.

A 6 week off season sounds good.

For the tourny's, there's not much to pick from in 1976-1977

We can only play Sea Wolf and Night Driver so many times.

I don't like how our tourny picks get added to our game request's.

Some of those games were just picks to fill out the tourny noms.

I'd like to see fewer tourny's and more DH'ers.

A 6 week off season sounds good.

For the tourny's, there's not much to pick from in 1976-1977

We can only play Sea Wolf and Night Driver so many times.

I don't like how our tourny picks get added to our game request's.

Some of those games were just picks to fill out the tourny noms.

OK - should we start with a clean slate with game requests for season 4? And then scrap the add to the request queue for tourney noms in the future?

If we cut down to four tourneys per season with two of them being craptaculars, we could have a 4-pack of games per month over the span of two weeks. I could come up with a theme for the four pack and we can nominate/vote for titles and whatever is not selected can be available for a pool of titles to be voted on for a craptacular.