IGNORED

2011 Midwest Gaming Classic March 26th-27th

Retro Rogue

Michael Katz has just been added to the list of speakers. For those not familiar, Mike has a long and storied career in the video game industry. He worked at Mattel in the 70's where he came up with the idea of taking calculator technology and making handheld games from them. Yes, he's the one responsible for the entire 70's handheld industry. Next he went to

Coleco for the Colecovision launch. After that he headed up Epyx, and was then woo'd to Atari Corp in late '85 to start their Entertainment Electronics Division and relaunch the Atari 7800, launch the XEGS and more. Finally he moved to Sega in '89, where he was responsible for the domination of the Sega Genesis in the early 90's.

Katz is the one that ditched Altered Beast as the pack in and went with Sonic right? What a gamble, but man, it paid off :)

I loved Altered Beast, but my mother didn't approve of the whole pagan grave thing. They put Sonic in the box and I got it for Christmas like magic. Still bought Altered Beast second hand as one of my first 7 games. :D

AX

Michael Katz has just been added to the list of speakers. For those not familiar, Mike has a long and storied career in the video game industry. He worked at Mattel in the 70's where he came up with the idea of taking calculator technology and making handheld games from them. Yes, he's the one responsible for the entire 70's handheld industry. Next he went to

Coleco for the Colecovision launch. After that he headed up Epyx, and was then woo'd to Atari Corp in late '85 to start their Entertainment Electronics Division and relaunch the Atari 7800, launch the XEGS and more. Finally he moved to Sega in '89, where he was responsible for the domination of the Sega Genesis in the early 90's.

Katz is the one that ditched Altered Beast as the pack in and went with Sonic right? What a gamble, but man, it paid off :)

I loved Altered Beast, but my mother didn't approve of the whole pagan grave thing. They put Sonic in the box and I got it for Christmas like magic. Still bought Altered Beast second hand as one of my first 7 games. :D

AX

*Quick off-topic story...

I can still remember asking my parents for a Genesis at launch, of course the answer was no (can't blame them I would say the same thing if my Daughter asked me for the new iPad tomorrow) but I was determined to get one. Shortly after, bummed out, sitting in my room thinking of ways to get the money for one (mowing lawns, returning pop cans/etc...) I saw a small black and white ad in the back of some magazine (I want to say Gamepro?) about a brand new store called Funcoland that paid top dollar for used games. The very first one was here in MN (New Hope) and was basically a mail order company but they had a small area you could bring games in person for cash/trade. It looked like a large garage at the time but that was fine, they paid CASH for games. I brought a GIANT box filled with all my NES, Atari and Master system games. They only bought the NES of course but it was almost enough to get that new Genesis, I think my Dad kicked a 20 in for me IIRC :) I remember almost crapping myself when they gave me $24 for Kid Icarus, those of us that remember the days before used game stores (and the internet) know that you were lucky to get $5 for a USED game. Anyways, thats how I got my Genesis and thats how I lost all my childhood games over the years....damn you Gamestop...damn you to hell :x :D

The Midwest Gaming Classic is pleased to announce Scott Adams as a guest speaker on Sunday, March 27th.

Scott Adams is known for starting the computer gaming industry with text adventure games. His first game, Adventureland, released in 1978 was written for the Radio Shack TRS-80. Since then, Scott has released a number of other text adventure titles.

• Like 1

Doh! Scott Adams being there really tipped it in favor of me deciding to go when I realized I will definitely need to be out of town that weekend for sure... no way I can make it, again. Oh well, it was already an incredible lineup this year, but Scott Adams!?!?!?! :thumbsup:

Doh! Scott Adams being there really tipped it in favor of me deciding to go when I realized I will definitely need to be out of town that weekend for sure... no way I can make it, again. Oh well, it was already an incredible lineup this year, but Scott Adams!?!?!?! :thumbsup:

DUDE! How can you miss the MGC!? It's in your city for Christ sakes :? You need to plan better next year ;) :)

DUDE! How can you miss the MGC!? It's in your city for Christ sakes :? You need to plan better next year ;) :)

I know, it's actually only about 10 miles from me. Grandfather's birthday. Can't change that! The past 3 years I've been on the fence about it, then it's decided for me for different reasons.

I know, it's actually only about 10 miles from me. Grandfather's birthday. Can't change that! The past 3 years I've been on the fence about it, then it's decided for me for different reasons.

You do know it's 2 - 3 days of festivities, and lots of people drive 12 - 13 hours to get there.

Bring your Grandfather along!

AX

Is there a list of speakers for Sunday? That's the only day I could possibly make it and listening to the folks in the industry back in the day is my favorite part.

Thanks.

Scott Adams is on Sunday. The full list of times and dates for everyone will be up soon.

Edited by wgungfu

I'm taking basically the equivalent of a milk crate to sell this year more or less to give me some play money at the show. There's a slim chance that I might get a wild hair up my ass and take some CIB 7800 games from my collection like Tank Command, Mean 18, Alien Brigade, Ikari Warriors, etc, but it'll probably be decided the night before I leave for the show. My experience has been that Atari stuff gets a pretty cold reception at MGC, so I don't want to take a bunch of nice CIB rares to the show for people to molest and not buy.

I'm taking basically the equivalent of a milk crate to sell this year more or less to give me some play money at the show. There's a slim chance that I might get a wild hair up my ass and take some CIB 7800 games from my collection like Tank Command, Mean 18, Alien Brigade, Ikari Warriors, etc, but it'll probably be decided the night before I leave for the show. My experience has been that Atari stuff gets a pretty cold reception at MGC, so I don't want to take a bunch of nice CIB rares to the show for people to molest and not buy.

If you bring a CIB Tank Command you can just bring it right to my table and sell it to me and you won't have to worry about it being molested.

-Atarian75

I'm bringing a box of boxed Atari ST games, some Neo Geo MVS carts, and a box of misc. bric-a-brac. Since I'm running something in the museum area I don't think I'm going to get a lot of time to run around and sell stuff unfortunately.

Tempest

I cold be tempted by a tank command along with the other top tier 7800 games. I'm also still looking for black box copies of the Activision released Imagic games (well, I have Atlantis already so the other 2).

Just letting everyone know that I'll be lurking around again this year.

Selling again? I always find something to buy from you. Goodwillhunter is usually my #1 stop, I like the random quirky stuff he has.

AX

He's got a lot of really cool things at pretty good prices. I bought a copy of 2600 (Sears) Submarine Commander from him a few years ago for something like $8. And I got a Compaq Portable for $17 because he didn't know how to get it to do anything (in his defense, though, the floppy/hard drives were hooked up all ass-backwards somehow, and I'm sure that's how it was when he got it...it took me a couple of months of off-and-on tinkering to get it running and booting to DOS). I've gotten some other 5s and 6s from him for just over or under $10 each. Fortunately for me, most people seem to be buying NES, 16-bit, '90's stuff now, so most of the Atari/Coleco/Intellivision/etc stuff is still left for me to pick over on Sunday, when his prices are near rock-bottom because he doesn't want to pack all that stuff up again and take it back. :D

I enjoy dealing with Ianoid, too. Every single year it seems he has EXACTLY the things I happen to looking for, and he's been great to me about cutting deals and trading. He's probably my #1 stop generally.

You guys should be sure to visit me at the GOAT Store, though!

:)

Well, as long as we are advertising stuff to sell...If anybody wants my Space Invaders ceiling or wall art/hangings I can make them and deliver them in person which saves some money since shipping them can be heavy. They are $1 each, here are the details...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173848-my-space-invader-ceiling-tiles/page__p__2158227__hl__space%20invaders%20ceiling__fromsearch__1#entry2158227

The only color I am currently out of is Bronze ;):)

Well, as long as we are advertising stuff to sell...If anybody wants my Space Invaders ceiling or wall art/hangings I can make them and deliver them in person which saves some money since shipping them can be heavy. They are $1 each, here are the details...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/173848-my-space-invader-ceiling-tiles/page__p__2158227__hl__space%20invaders%20ceiling__fromsearch__1#entry2158227

Do you think they will cause an issue in checked baggage on a plane? If not, I'll get my order together!

Do you think they will cause an issue in checked baggage on a plane? If not, I'll get my order together!

Should be fine as far as I know. The are just composite aluminium cut to the form of Space Invaders :)

Those are awesome!! I would love to have a few of those.

We should start a marketplace thread... "Private Trades and Sales for MGC Attendees"

AX

Those are awesome!! I would love to have a few of those.

We should start a marketplace thread... "Private Trades and Sales for MGC Attendees"

AX

If you build it, they will come... :D

Seriously though, that sounds cool to me, start the topic and I'm in :)

Damn dude, $1 apiece? I have NO space for something like that, and it makes me want to buy some!