IGNORED

2011 Midwest Gaming Classic March 26th-27th

Retro Rogue

Maybe I'll just bring the Arcadia 2001 instead. We'll see what Marty wants to display.

You can't be a tease Matt. You have to be a Videobrain slut again. ;) Rich (Goodwill Hunter) is bringing his APF Imagination setup this year and I told him it'd go great by your Videobrain. If you want to bring an Arcadia and Spectra Video setup as well, that's perfectly fine. ;) He's also bringing his giant tabletop 2600 pop kiosk for the Atari area, so I have to figure out how to dress that area up more.

Honestly you don't have to go by whatever I'm going to bring. With so many people being involved in the room again this year, I'm focusing on systems and computers that fill in the gaps and upping the presentation value of the room again (more lights, signs, displays, etc.)

I think it is going to be allot of fun to have Rich on the museum side and hang out a little bit this time (instead of just doing business). He said he was done being a vendor last time, and I've been looking forward to seeing some of his cool collection items. If his past sales are any indication, he has some great collectibles for himself. I'm glad to bring the iMagic Kiosk, maybe some original iMagic posters, boxed iMagic storage center, and perhaps boxed games for a nice display if you maybe have an extra bubble to keep the games safe, and the space. Another possibly is the Activision 2600 if I get it repaired in time.

AX

Whatever you guys want to bring, you just let me know and I'll plan the space out accordingly. If you and Rich are bringing kiosks and you're going to have all the Imagic stuff, I'll probably cut down the number of physical 2600 consoles I have on display then to maybe a sixer, a darth, and a jr., which I can pyramid one over the other. I bought out a bunch of the acrylic tabletop book stands from the local Borders when they went out of business and am planning to put my display only consoles on those.

Just keep in mind how things were last year as far as presentation/playability wise when you decide what you're bringing, as well what you're willing to let other people watch (or leave unattended) if you want to go off and enjoy the show.

After doing this for 10 years, I can honestly say that while rare boxed games and such are nice for the collectors - those people actually make up a small percentage of the attendees at the show. The average person that makes up the just over 5,000 we had this past year and that goes through the museum room is a) Happy to be playing anything there. b) Wants to see "cool old stuff" but won't really have enough knowledge as to what's rare and isn't. They'll most likely briefly glance at the extremely rare copy of chase the chuck wagon on display while moving quickly on to play Pac-Man on the 5200. That's exactly why the VCF-Midwest guys went all out and did that educational "Heroes of the 6502" display area to try and educate the attendees while having fun. I.E. if you want to have something on display (something for people to look at vs. just sit down and start playing) be prepared to either explain it or have something there that educates them on it. The irony is that VCF-M's Zork running on an original IBM-PC got a lot of play by kids.

BTW, looks like I'll be celebrating my birthday there this year (the 24th).

Good thoughts, I bow to your observations and expertise having done this so many times. I think the best thing for the iMagic is to have it full of playable games, rather than boxed games on display. The poster(s) can go on the wall and won't take up space, and should add to the room well. The iMagic storage center in the box is large and showy like a poster or kiosk, and would just look good due to the size. No one would have a reason to touch it or play with it, as it is just festive eye candy. This time I'm going to see if I can extend the play time, as well as put a little sign there to let people know that the kiosk has a time limit built in. I hated that people got disappointed when the games cut out. I'll see what I can do to make the sessions longer if not disable that feature as long as it isn't permanent modification.

When will a new thread for 2012 be started? :D

AX

• 2 weeks later...

Last year was my first time attending and can't wait to go to my next one! Saw some one else posted some photos, here are a few that I took as well...http://www.micahrayp...230962814_DfzUN

Yah, not to happy about that site. My room (E2M Museum Room) has an explicit policy that photos are only for personal use, and permission must be granted for other uses. People (such as myself and others who display in the room) spend a lot of time and money getting their equipment let alone putting displays together and such. Someone using pictures of the displays to advertise their photography business is not in line with the rules.

Here's my gallery from this past year's show (mind you it's not every single area, just the major ones I had time to get around to and take photos for the show) -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91071283@N00/collections/72157627473992750/

Last year was my first time attending and can't wait to go to my next one! Saw some one else posted some photos, here are a few that I took as well...http://www.micahrayp...230962814_DfzUN

Yah, not to happy about that site. My room (E2M Museum Room) has an explicit policy that photos are only for personal use, and permission must be granted for other uses. People (such as myself and others who display in the room) spend a lot of time and money getting their equipment let alone putting displays together and such. Someone using pictures of the displays to advertise their photography business is not in line with the rules.

Here's my gallery from this past year's show (mind you it's not every single area, just the major ones I had time to get around to and take photos for the show) -

http://www.flickr.co...57627473992750/

Never saw it was posted that pictures were not allowed also, I didn't take them to advertise myself/ my website. In fact I gave the photos away for free to the folks who wanted them(including to the folks who put on the expo with free use of them). I think one of the members of this board was pictured with his son, and I made sure to email him the photos as well. Again, was meant for fun/personal use, not to "advertise", if you note most of the pictures of my father who was speaking that day and one of my nephew in the musem playing a game. Not looking to cause any problems though so if it is an issue please contact me privately and we can figure things out.