IGNORED

The Co Co has some funny rip offs

DracIsBack

I loved my CoCo III, even though it never really seemed mainstream. One thing I always found with the CoCo reading Rainbow Magazine was the sheer number of funny rip-offs on the CoCo!

Examples:

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/warriorking.html

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/ganteletii.html

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/questforthelda.html

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/donkeyking.html

http://nitros9.lcurtisboyle.com/gems.html

Heh heh

The B/W TRS-80 computers have a ton of rip-offs too. Very well done for what they are that play pretty well. These Radio Shack computers from yesteryear seem to have a relatively high ratio of quality software compared to a lot of other competitive systems at the time. One of the perks of *not* being mainstream I would guess.

The Coco 3 really piques my interest too. Seems like a very cool retro computer. Wish I had gotten into them when I was younger.

How the heck did people make and sell these things and the major companies never noticed? Even for a more 'niche' computer like the CoCo 3?

CoCo was a weird computer in that it was Radio Shack exclusive. On one hand, it wasn't available in all the chains. On the other, it was available in a boatload of Radio Shack stores so it still got pretty healthy distribution.

What made it really interesting was that Radio Shack itself wasn't a great distribution channel for software. People would go into Radio Shack and see only a tiny software selection of Tandy licensed titles. You'd pick up Rainbow magazine and see a literal whole other world of goodies for that computer.

• Like 1

I think the closed distribution channel contributed to the large number of game clones from 3rd party developers. Since the titles didn't show up in Radio Shack, the major game developers didn't care since they didn't really compete with them.

I do remember a couple games changed name because they were too close to the arcade.

Donkey King became The King, and I think one game was actually called Berzerk for a while.

I was really into the Coco back in the day. It had some really good games, not as many as the Atari or Commadore but it was a far superior computer. The games could range from lousy to quite good, but as a computer it was second to none. I took my original Coco to college with me and wrote all my papers on it. If any of my buddies wanted to use my word processor the cost was a couple of pitchers of beer in the campus pub. I had a great word processor and spell checker program for it. Nowhere else on the entire campus was there a better word processing system, including the computer department and administrative office. Needless to say I got plenty of free beer while I was there...

I was really into the Coco back in the day. It had some really good games, not as many as the Atari or Commadore but it was a far superior computer. The games could range from lousy to quite good, but as a computer it was second to none. I took my original Coco to college with me and wrote all my papers on it. If any of my buddies wanted to use my word processor the cost was a couple of pitchers of beer in the campus pub. I had a great word processor and spell checker program for it. Nowhere else on the entire campus was there a better word processing system, including the computer department and administrative office. Needless to say I got plenty of free beer while I was there...

Was it VIP Writer? I think I had a copy of that for school projects as well. Used to print them out on my old DMP-105 printer. Very nice software

No way that's the Coco 3 playing Donkey Kong in that vid!

Yep

:-o

Are you going to the Midwest Gaming Classic? I'll have it running on my CoCo display. Had many reactions like yours last year. "No way, you have something underneath the table running this!"

Was it VIP Writer? I think I had a copy of that for school projects as well. Used to print them out on my old DMP-105 printer. Very nice software

I always thought CoCo Max III and Max 10 were pretty awesome products too!

Yes I remember Coco Max III. Drawing program right? I loved playing around with that thing. I used to make my own Star Trek starship designs with it. . . I'm such a freaking nerd. :D