IGNORED

High Score Club 9.01 - Millipede

Ze_ro

Now that you've all had three days to work on this game, the Mystery Bonus is revealed: You must improve your score over the course of the next four days. The first goal corresponds to doubling your current score, and the second goal corresponds to a 5x increase in your score (both are rounded up to the nearest 1000 points to simplify things). Good luck! (And just to clarify, achieving your second goal means you get 3 points, NOT 1+3 points... but this DOES add with the 3 point bonus for getting 250,000 points).

If you hadn't yet posted a score for this week, then I'm afraid you're disqualified from the bonus points.

(The fact that oyamafamily already rolled the score kind of screwed up my plans here... Making him roll the score five time in one sitting seems kind of pointless, so at the moment he's kind of disqualified... anyone have an alternative here?)

--Zero

Now that you've all had three days to work on this game, the Mystery Bonus is revealed: You must improve your score over the course of the next four days. The first goal corresponds to doubling your current score, and the second goal corresponds to a 5x increase in your score (both are rounded up to the nearest 1000 points to simplify things). Good luck! (And just to clarify, achieving your second goal means you get 3 points, NOT 1+3 points... but this DOES add with the 3 point bonus for getting 250,000 points).

If you hadn't yet posted a score for this week, then I'm afraid you're disqualified from the bonus points.

(The fact that oyamafamily already rolled the score kind of screwed up my plans here... Making him roll the score five time in one sitting seems kind of pointless, so at the moment he's kind of disqualified... anyone have an alternative here?)

--Zero

How about 100ks gets 1 point bonus point.

At 200ks gets 2 bonus points.

Finally, anything over 250ks 3 bonus points.

and not 3+2+1... just a (3) total or 2 or 1 depending on where your score finishes.

That would be ok I think, the mystery bonus is a bit high of a climb for everyone, lol. If I reach my first goal I will be hitting the other bonus as well.

Here's my agony so far!

First just a 1,000 improvement, now a 4,000 climb.

This is the most difficult game at the HSC since Oink!

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

ADDITIONAL OYAMAFAMILY'S TIPS:

1. See the screenshots of flying bugs waves (note that the scores are hidden).

post-24681-129934232334_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934232801_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934233191_thumb.png

post-24681-129934233735_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934234088_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934236267_thumb.png

post-24681-129934236612_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934236988_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934237514_thumb.png

post-24681-129934238062_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934238493_thumb.pngpost-24681-129934238945_thumb.png

2. Once you reach mosquitoes wave, try to shoot as many as possible to clean the screen fully, according to screenshot below.

post-24681-129934261991_thumb.png

3. Pay attention for the sequence of mushroom colors: orange-red, dark blue, yellow, pink, red, purple, green, and light blue. This sequence repeats for every 8 levels completed.

Edited by oyamafamily

I have to make some personal commentary. Maybe because I haven't been able to improve my score. Maybe because rambling helps my sanity (then again maybe not.)

First, I don't know where my 142,000 came from. I'm averaging about half that now.

Second, oyama, <jaw dropping>, wow!

Third, this is the first time I ever played 2600 Millipede, which seems odd in retrospect, but it was all a timing thing. In the summer of '83 I was practicing Centipede three hours a day to qualify and prepare for the Atari championships. By the time 2600 Millipede was released, I was pretty well bugged out. Also, I had the arcade Millipede in the living room, as a prize from the Centipede contest. So 2600 Millipede would have been an adventure in redundancy.

Fourth, I'm amazed at how well Millipede was executed on the 2600. It has the that same feeling of controlled chaos that the arcade game had. So much stuff to shoot, so little time. It's a blast to play, even though it is excrutiatingly difficult (except to oyama icon_wink.gif ).

• Like 3

I think the mystery bonus points are a good idea. It adds an additional cost/benefit aspect to the game --- Do i want to spend a moderate amount of time to reach my first goal (hopefully) or do i want to go nuts on this for the remainder of the week and try for the second goal as well? I'm going to assume Oyamafamily's top score is unreachable for me, so i won't even consider that a goal.

Scrabbler, I think your experience of averaging only half of your high score is pretty typical. I have a high of 97000, but most games i struggle to reach 40K to 50K. I really have to be in a state of Flow to challenge my own high score.

I think the mystery bonus points are a good idea. It adds an additional cost/benefit aspect to the game --- Do i want to spend a moderate amount of time to reach my first goal (hopefully) or do i want to go nuts on this for the remainder of the week and try for the second goal as well? I'm going to assume Oyamafamily's top score is unreachable for me, so i won't even consider that a goal.

Scrabbler, I think your experience of averaging only half of your high score is pretty typical. I have a high of 97000, but most games i struggle to reach 40K to 50K. I really have to be in a state of Flow to challenge my own high score.

I'm the same way. My average score is probably about 45,000 and my high is almost 97000. Every now and then I get over 80,000 but it's usually a fluke

I got a small amount of play time in. My new baby boy is getting lots of attention though. :D

post-10944-129917669696_thumb.jpgpost-10944-129917682262_thumb.jpg

Congrats! :) :thumbsup:

Yes, I congrat you too for the baby on board...

Derek's a pretty cool name too, is the middle name "Atari"? :D

Since daddys the reigning number #1 HSC finisher the past... well, every season lol. ;)

Maybe when he turns 4 or 5, he can enter too :cool:

Now for my nearly 40ks improved score! I played it cool, and it worked...

but I knew I would hit 170ks, pretty soon and messed up two lives on little things.

I got too pumped. :P

post-3059-129937707899_thumb.jpg

LOL, I know... I can't even imagine anyone rolling the score, like oyama did. even todd rogers didn't roll it at the TG records. :!:

My goal is 250ks, but I dunno if I can... it gets tiring after a long play, my eyes feel like they are going up/down/left/right... at least last night they did.

So you guys have 40 and 50k mishaps. I have those sometimes but not often, I lately get over 100ks ok, which is bad because all the work goes down the drain when I run out of lives.. at 89,000, 96,000, 113,000, 115,000, 116,000 117,000 119,000... I KEPT LANDING IN THE 6 figure "TEENS". I must have scored in every 'teen number lol. :x

Finally!, I broke through that now... :cool:

LOL, I know... I can't even imagine anyone rolling the score, like oyama did. even todd rogers didn't roll it at the TG records. :!:

My goal is 250ks, but I dunno if I can... it gets tiring after a long play, my eyes feel like they are going up/down/left/right... at least last night they did.

So you guys have 40 and 50k mishaps. I have those sometimes but not often, I lately get over 100ks ok, which is bad because all the work goes down the drain when I run out of lives.. at 89,000, 96,000, 113,000, 115,000, 116,000 117,000 119,000... I KEPT LANDING IN THE 6 figure "TEENS". I must have scored in every 'teen number lol. :x

Finally!, I broke through that now... :cool:

I don't know if my eyes go up and down and so forth, but at times I reach a point at which i enter some kind of a sensory-overloaded fugue state and my brain just shuts down, as my precious lives rapidly slip away.....

• Like 1

LOL, I know... I can't even imagine anyone rolling the score, like oyama did. even todd rogers didn't roll it at the TG records. icon_exclaim.gif

So you guys have 40 and 50k mishaps. I have those sometimes but not often, I lately get over 100ks ok, which is bad because all the work goes down the drain when I run out of lives.. at 89,000, 96,000, 113,000, 115,000, 116,000 117,000 119,000... I KEPT LANDING IN THE 6 figure "TEENS". I must have scored in every 'teen number lol. icon_mad.gif

Finally!, I broke through that now... icon_shades.gif

I don't know if my eyes go up and down and so forth, but at times I reach a point at which i enter some kind of a sensory-overloaded fugue state and my brain just shuts down, as my precious lives rapidly slip away.....

icon_laughingblue.gif That sensory-overloaded brain state sounds so very familiar ...