IGNORED

MESS for ColecoVision

VectorGamer

I have the following in MESS roms folder:

coleco.zip

Beamrider (1983) (Activision) [!].zip

Pepper II (1983).zip

Power Lords - Quest for Volcan (1983) (Prototype).zip

The only thing the MESS GUI sees is ColecoVision.

I double click ColecoVision and it runs the console as if there was no cartridge in the console slot.

where are the games?

was ist los?

post-22552-129917930081_thumb.jpg

post-22552-129917930147_thumb.jpg

ColecoVision is one of those systems MESS claims to support, but somehow none of the games you have ever work for it. I just use ColEm which actually works.

Remember, in MESS land, it's more quantity over quality.

Alright I tried that ColEm emulator and it's quick and dirty. But, how do I configure it to use a mouse to play Slither?

ColecoVision is one of those systems MESS claims to support, but somehow none of the games you have ever work for it. I just use ColEm which actually works.

Quite untrue on both statements.

I don't regularly use MESSUI, but make sure you do the following:

- Assure coleco.zip is in your ROMS folder.

- Audit that system and make sure the rom is detected.

- Right click Colecovision, select properties and choose "Software" tab. Add the folder which contains your coleco games. Once chosen, use the Picker menu to browse for the roms that you wish to run. Otherwise, use the "Device" tab to mount a cartridge not detected.

It shouldn't be much harder than that.

- Right click Colecovision, select properties and choose "Software" tab. Add the folder which contains your coleco games. Once chosen, use the Picker menu to browse for the roms that you wish to run. Otherwise, use the "Device" tab to mount a cartridge not detected.

Cool! That's the step I needed to get this to work.

Now, the next question:

On hardware, I am able to use the Roller Controller for games like Beamrider and Subroc. How do I configure MESS to use the mouse for these games?

I tested this on Beamrider in MESS, and although it allows me to specify Mouse X+ or X- the mouse does not work within the emulated game.

Quite untrue on both statements.

I don't regularly use MESSUI, but make sure you do the following:

- Assure coleco.zip is in your ROMS folder.

- Audit that system and make sure the rom is detected.

I did do that. I've used MESS for other systems just fine, but I think ColecoVision was just one of the ones that didn't work. I was able to play Atari 7800 games on it(after fighiting with the BIOS file).

I had a bunch of Vic 20 games that didn't work on MESS, tried the same ones on ViCE, and lo and behold, it worked.

Alright I tried that ColEm emulator and it's quick and dirty. But, how do I configure it to use a mouse to play Slither?

I think that MESS works great with ColecoVision. You have to be patient and set it up correctly.

As for Slither with a mouse, it is possible. I use Virtual ADAM which makes it much easier to use.

In the Systems tab for the emulator, check Roller Controller(mouse). Then boot up Slither and you can play it with a mouse.

BTW, there are hacks for Slither, Turbo, Victory, and Destructor where you can use the keyboard for these games instead of the special controllers.

In the Systems tab for the emulator, check Roller Controller(mouse). Then boot up Slither and you can play it with a mouse.

I'm not seeing a Systems tab in MESS

OK I found it...boot up the ROM | Categories | Other | Roller Controller

Edited by rmaerz