IGNORED

Would you play Resident Evil on the jag?

greencoman

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I like to kick around some ideas. I always thought making a port of Resident Evil on the jaguar would be fun. Its not a question of whether or not it could be done and if the jaguar could handle it. I just wanna know would people play it?

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I like to kick around some ideas. I always thought making a port of Resident Evil on the jaguar would be fun. Its not a question of whether or not it could be done and if the jaguar could handle it. I just wanna know would people play it?

In terms of the idea? I find the concept of "demakes" fascinating. I would love, for example, to see a technically demanding, 3D open world game like GTA IV or Super Mario Galaxy ported to the VCS.. alright, to the Jag! :)

• Like 3

I would be on that like ugly on the CD-i. And I don't even like Survival-Horror games. I would love to see PS1 ports on the Jaguar CD; maybe a few JRPGs. That's what the Jag REALLY needs. :) [imagine how far people's jaws would drop if they saw Final Fantasy VII running on the Jag!]

Edited by lisalover1

I never got into R.E. on any system, even though I had it for the PS1 a long time ago. Ugly, dark looking game with clunky controls is how it seemed to me. BUT... if there was a like-minded port for the Jag, I'd be willing to invest some time into it. Really can't imagine anyone being able to pull off a competent or superior port of it though. Nice pipe smoking dream anyway! lol

I'd like to see Return Fire! ported to the Jag. Now that might warrant a JagCD purchase :)

• Like 2

I think Alone in the Dark might be a closer fit to the Jaguar's capabilities. The same style of gameplay but a simpler set of enemy and character models.

RE (especially RE1) doesn't really push the PSX much, it's mostly prerendered (static or animated) backgrounds with a limited amount of polygon models rendered on top of that in a fully 2D environment (so not even any 3D game logic or physics to worry about).

The jag CD should have handled it easily, but a cart would either have been very expensive, or extremely cut-back. (even if you cut all the FMV and cut down the animation and quality of the BG images with heavy lossy compression, it would take a ton of space for carts of the time or look so heavily artifacted that it wouldn't be worth it -highly cutomized edits to the prerendered BG content and levels that removed some images entirely and stylized others to cut down memory use might have allowed it to a reasonable extent)

It's the memory constraints that make Alone in the Dark (and the sequel) much more practical, never mind the simplistic 3D models that could have been handled easily, even by weaker developers. (hell, you could probably get a half decent version on the Sega CD with enough optimization -there's a decent amount of CPU grunt for the 3D calculations and a blitter supporting affine texture mapping and line filling useful for 3D, it would need to be stylized for the color limits of the MD though -the SNES with the Super FX1 probably could have managed a decent version too)

Kind of a shame the Jag didn't push for more PC ports back then, it could have allowed for some semi exclusives of some awesome games if they could afford the licensing or could attract 3rd parties to publish as such. You had the likes of Lucas Arts, Origin, and Sierra to push for -except Origin had been bought out by EA in '92, so getting them may have been as difficult as getting EA's support in general. Then you had the shareware developers/publishers (they already had ID working with them) and the likes of Apogee and Epic Megagames among many others. (would have been neat to have enhanced remakes/ports of some of the EGA Commander Keen and Duke Nukem games as well as the 2D and 3D VGA games -you had blake stone prior to Duke 3D, and given the raycasting performance of the Jag's GPU, Duke3D probably would have been a considerably better performer than ID's planned Quake)

It would have been really neat to have Jazz Jackrabbit on the Jaguar for sure. :D

Then you have all the European computer/console developers as well. (obviously Atari had a better chance with the Jag in Europe with their market position and brand recognition -though they missed their chance to pull that off)

Edited by kool kitty89
  • Like 2

I'd much rather see a good RPG makes its way to the Jag. RE and games of its ilk have been done to death on other consoles, it would be pointless porting it to the Jag.

THIS. To put it simply, Atari needs RPGs. That is the one genre that every single Atari system is gravely lacking in.

• Like 3