IGNORED

Would you play Resident Evil on the jag?

greencoman

You make a very good point about Rebellion's PC AVP being a good source of inspiration for use of dark corridors to instill a sense of dread.

I was curious about this, so I created some simple corridor in 3dsmax with lights as separate polygons (to somewhat emulate the lights themselves) and surprisingly, it could actually work - as crazy as the concept of a flatshaded FPS sounds :lol:

post-19882-0-32186500-1526999917.gif

Since this is all 8-bit palette, we can simply darken the colors just by adjusting palette, and black out the whole screen for about a second (kinda like a pulsing light), during which time, of course, the alien would jump either at you, or elsewhere (so, player would have no idea where exactly he is, before the lights went out). Yep, that'd actually work for the atmosphere.

It's a very simple scene, polygon-wise, so the internal framerate is approaching 90 fps (pity the jaguar can't output more than 60, oh well - god how I miss the days of CRT and 120 Hz real refresh on my behemoth Sony monitor doing up to 2,048x1,536 over a decade ago... ), so there's ample performance buffer for some 500-polygon alien. If the Alien was rendered in parallel on DSP (no point using Blitter (from GPU) for sub-5 pixel spans anyway), we might even keep 60 fps for gameplay.

Since the Alien would be 3D, and not a 2D prerendered bitmap, we would give it intensity of the nearest light , thus it'd be fully dynamically lighted and blend nicely with environment.

That could be a nice horror mini-game.

For a sense of fear of what lies ahead and an attack could come at any moment, full credit has to go to C64 Platoon's Tunnel section stage:

The murky colours of the C64 palette worked well, some fantastic SID music and a very atmospheric sequence.

The V.C lunging at you with a knife,really kept you on edge.

Night sequence trapped in Bunker..skip to 14 min mark,also superb:

If something like this could be done within the confines of the C64...

There's more to fear than gore, Aliens and Zombies.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Now, what about the horror gameplay ? How would we actually deliver a non-laughable proper scare in year 2018, using game design of 1993 ? I'm sure out of ideas on that one...

Well that's the fun for the developer. Build a character, move him around a room. It won't all cone at once. Thing about what could be scary, what could he do...

What horrors await the player in Vlads Mansion?

Edited by JagChris

For a sense of fear of what lies ahead and an attack could come at any moment, full credit has to go to C64 Platoon's Tunnel section stage:

The murky colours of the C64 palette worked well, some fantastic SID music and a very atmospheric sequence.

The V.C lunging at you with a knife,really kept you on edge.

Night sequence trapped in Bunker..skip to 14 min mark,also superb:

If something like this could be done within the confines of the C64...

There's more to fear than gore, Aliens and Zombies.

You had a C64 ? Sorry, Commodore is where I draw the line :)

While I agree on the gore thing, you have to admit that splashing enemies to gory gobs in Nocturne was pretty awesome:

https://youtu.be/k0Qdip5nCi8?t=316

That game, btw, is probably my favourite from AITD genre. Before anyone asks, no - this game on jag would require a team of script writers, game designers, level designers, 3D artists, composer and a quite significant coding investment (6-12+ months, fulltime). It's like Call Of Duty of AITD genre (from the content perspective)...

What horrors await the player in Vlads Mansion?

Moar Benchmoark :)

Seriously, though - with so much competition in the genre, it's very hard to come up with some new scares, unless the player is a virgin to the genre or suffered amnesia recently...

I wouldn't play Resident Evil on the Jaguar, simply because I don't own a Jaguar, but the poor underappreciated Jag sure does deserve to have Resident Evil. For that matter it also deserves to have some other much beloved third-party titles like Tomb Raider and a game or two from the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat series.

@ValdR :

My early gaming years were spent on a Sinclair ZX81,Atari 2600,800 XL and a Commodore 64.

Friends had a ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron and Commodore C16.

So my childhood saw me exposed to a lot of different hardware and that made me appreciate the various strengths and weaknesses of rival systems.

Your not a C64 fan then i guess?

I personally found platoon worked far better on the C64 than NES or ST, only other versions i tried.

You had a C64 ? Sorry, Commodore is where I draw the line :)

While I agree on the gore thing, you have to admit that splashing enemies to gory gobs in Nocturne was pretty awesome:

https://youtu.be/k0Qdip5nCi8?t=316

That game, btw, is probably my favourite from AITD genre. Before anyone asks, no - this game on jag would require a team of script writers, game designers, level designers, 3D artists, composer and a quite significant...

Yeah yeah... Hey the Nocturne IP is listed as abandoned.

https://youtu.be/VXDIE55t30k

@ValdR :

My early gaming years were spent on a Sinclair ZX81,Atari 2600,800 XL and a Commodore 64.

Friends had a ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron and Commodore C16.

So my childhood saw me exposed to a lot of different hardware and that made me appreciate the various strengths and weaknesses of rival systems.

Your not a C64 fan then i guess?

Sorry, As a kid the only thing anyone had around, was Atari 8-bit. No other exposure till PS1. Then I switched to PC, and it took a long time till I jumped on the Playstation bandwagon (though, I really only started playing seriously on consoles very recently after acquiring Carpal Tunnel (can't use mouse for FPS games anymore), thus I was basically a hardcore PC upgrader/gamer for over 20 years).

Yeah yeah... Hey the Nocturne IP is listed as abandoned.

Where do you see it ?

I'm sure they still retain all copyrights and trademarks. It was a AAA studio, so it's kinda hard to believe they would just let it go.

But, once studio goes down, the IP is not always a priority, understandably.

Still, the content quantity&quality in Nocturne is staggering. Just the enemies - in that quality, one artist would need 6+ months (assuming he can do everything from modeling, uv mapping, rigging and animation), as realistically, it takes about a week on average, for one character, in given polycount&texture resolution...

Oh, now I see, previously I just skimmed the review, didn't fully watch it (as I watched the other one). Still, does that mean it's up for grabs (as in, cash offer) ? I don't think it means it's free.

I take it you like Nocturne more than AITD ?

I just got AITD and started playing it from gog.com. so not much experience with the genre. Quick plays here and there through the years but no need to wrestle with an IP.

More interested in the nefarious doings in Vlads Mansion. ?

Edited by JagChris

I just got AITD and started playing it from gog.com. so not much experience with the genre. Quick plays here and there through the years but no need to wrestle with an IP.

Well, I jumped into AITD from Atari 800, so that was quite an experience. Not really sure if you actually can get anything out of that game in 2018, even if it's first-play. I doubt tank horror games work like that...

More interested in the nefarious doings in Vlads Mansion. ?

Yeah, well - a nocturne knock-off is easily a year of dev with a 5-person team. So, that's not gonna happen.

I think it deserves a RE type game.

A knockoff. That would at least stop all the demake remarks and give us a game no one has played before. And I love horror games.

OK, let's just - for the sake of argument- entertain the idea for a minute and try to figure out how much can we butcher the content so that it retains the core gameplay elements, yet remains somewhat remotely reasonably feasible as a 1-2 men endeavor:

- let's assume cart, hence pre-rendered 3dsmax renders are out of the question

- thus : rooms must be rendered at run-time, procedurally

- colored lightmaps will give us ~Quake2 look, but hey - it's cart, so a compromise must be made

- 4 weeks: updating engine for colored lightmaps, and maybe some simple shadows

- 4 weeks: updating engine, exporters, converters and related toolset for character keyframe animation and related run-time decompression

- 4 weeks: creating basic objects in 3dsmax to fill the rooms (tables, chairs, props...)

- 4 weeks: experimenting with procedural room generation - e.g. each playthrough, the house would be different (different number of floors, cellars, rooms, overall layout...)

- 4 weeks: creating few enemies in 3dsmax (no more than 3 to fit on cart)

So, about 5-6 months full-time work for 1 person. Even then, there's still quite a few technological risks that you don't really know how they'll play out...

The procedural content generation can give you dozens of hour of gameplay, as each room will be generated, and does not need storage on cart.The downside is that those rooms will probably look very similar, as there's only so many ways you can organize the objects in the room, and the biggest difference will probably in number of lights and their parameters (intensity, direction, color)...

@ValdR:

I went through a lot of hardware growing up, you can add the Atari ST,Jaguar and Lynx , Sega Genesis,Game Gear and MS to the earlier list,along with exposure to the Amiga and SNES and very limited PC exposure,all prior to the PlayStation.

So i have never really had any blinkers for any particular formats.

I used C64 Platoon as an example of how creative thinking from a small team resulted in some superb results on very limited hardware at the time,compared to the lumbering beasts likes of Capcom have sadly served up these last few years.

Well, I jumped into AITD from Atari 800, so that was quite an experience. Not really sure if you actually can get anything out of that game in 2018, even if it's first-play. I doubt tank horror games work like that...

What? Yeah it's fun. I appreciate the game very much. So far so good. Nice adventure.