IGNORED

Would you play Resident Evil on the jag?

greencoman

I have been playtesting one very recently, shame to see you miss out.

Someone else is doing an RPG type thing on the Jag?

Cool :

I hope to hear about this in due time :)

:ponder:

I wouldn't really call that an "RPG type game" . . . it would be like calling Zelda an RPG (which some do wrongly all too often -aside from Zelda 2, which may be considered an action-RPG); it's like calling Tomb Raider and RPG ;).

There's some very distinct differences from an adventure/action-adventure (or adventure/puzzle, graphic adventure, text adventure, etc) and an RPG (of any combination of genres thereof, Japanese or Western, action or turn based, text or graphic).

Personally, I like adventure/action-adventure games more than RPGs in general (though I like RPGs to a fair extent, some genres more than others -I'm not so big on strategy RPGs and I prefer games without random battles).

I think this was address in another recent AA thread, ah, found it:

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff that was missing on 7800. Ok, so perhaps JRPGs wouldn't have been there anyway with lack of JP developer support, but WRPGs (or CRPGs, rather)

For the acronym-challenged what are:

WRPG, CRPG, JRPGs?

JRPG = Japanese Role Playing Game

CRPG = Computer Role Playing Game

WRPG = Western Role Playing Game

Reference to style of RPG video game. JRPGs like, say, Final Fantasy are much different in form than CRPG/WRPGs like, say, Ultima. In a nutshell, the latter is closer in experience to the old pen and paper RPGs, with heavier customization and non-linearity whereas the former offers less overall customization but more focus on narrative. Both, obviously, as RPGs in the video game medium are stat and customization based, which is what makes them different from, say, the action/adventure genre.

That's part of why LoZ...sorry, Legend of Zelda, isn't an RPG or action/RPG. It's an action/adventure. It merges the action game elements not with RPG stat or customization really but rather with adventure game elements like environmental puzzles, exploration of the environment, item hunting, etc. Same deal with Midnight Mutants on 7800. Action/adventure game. There isn't an RPG on 7800, sadly. Big hole in the line up. Not my favorite genre at all (I rather action games, particularly shmups, and action/adventures) but it would've been nice to see something along the lines of an Ultima on 7800.

...sorry...kinda went off on a tangent. I'm a genre classification geek. Just don't do something like say Metroid Prime is an FPS, and I'll be fine

• Like 1

I have been playtesting one very recently, shame to see you miss out.

Someone else is doing an RPG type thing on the Jag?

Cool :

I hope to hear about this in due time :)

:ponder:

I wouldn't really call that an "RPG type game" . . . it would be like calling Zelda an RPG (which some do wrongly all too often -aside from Zelda 2, which may be considered an action-RPG); it's like calling Tomb Raider and RPG ;).

There's some very distinct differences from an adventure/action-adventure (or adventure/puzzle, graphic adventure, text adventure, etc) and an RPG (of any combination of genres thereof, Japanese or Western, action or turn based, text or graphic).

Personally, I like adventure/action-adventure games more than RPGs in general (though I like RPGs to a fair extent, some genres more than others -I'm not so big on strategy RPGs and I prefer games without random battles).

I think this was address in another recent AA thread, ah, found it:

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff that was missing on 7800. Ok, so perhaps JRPGs wouldn't have been there anyway with lack of JP developer support, but WRPGs (or CRPGs, rather)

For the acronym-challenged what are:

WRPG, CRPG, JRPGs?

JRPG = Japanese Role Playing Game

CRPG = Computer Role Playing Game

WRPG = Western Role Playing Game

Reference to style of RPG video game. JRPGs like, say, Final Fantasy are much different in form than CRPG/WRPGs like, say, Ultima. In a nutshell, the latter is closer in experience to the old pen and paper RPGs, with heavier customization and non-linearity whereas the former offers less overall customization but more focus on narrative. Both, obviously, as RPGs in the video game medium are stat and customization based, which is what makes them different from, say, the action/adventure genre.

That's part of why LoZ...sorry, Legend of Zelda, isn't an RPG or action/RPG. It's an action/adventure. It merges the action game elements not with RPG stat or customization really but rather with adventure game elements like environmental puzzles, exploration of the environment, item hunting, etc. Same deal with Midnight Mutants on 7800. Action/adventure game. There isn't an RPG on 7800, sadly. Big hole in the line up. Not my favorite genre at all (I rather action games, particularly shmups, and action/adventures) but it would've been nice to see something along the lines of an Ultima on 7800.

...sorry...kinda went off on a tangent. I'm a genre classification geek. Just don't do something like say Metroid Prime is an FPS, and I'll be fine

Hopefully this isn't a problem though as its no secret that my own project is also leaning significantly towards the Action/Adventure side of things (the exact level of RPGness is still under discussion inside the team)

Edited by Atari_Owl

I just wanna know would people play it?

That depends on who you ask. If asking me I say no and that I am greatful for that this game was newer released on the Jaguar. I mostly hate games with those weird cameraangles that makes the gameplay rather lousy and besides, zombies just makes me depressed. Combine zombies with lousy cameraangles and you get a really shitty game, thats my opinion about Resident Evil

• Like 3

I just wanna know would people play it?

That depends on who you ask. If asking me I say no and that I am greatful for that this game was newer released on the Jaguar. I mostly hate games with those weird cameraangles that makes the gameplay rather lousy and besides, zombies just makes me depressed. Combine zombies with lousy cameraangles and you get a really shitty game, thats my opinion about Resident Evil

You mean total lack of camera angles, right? It's a 2D game with some added polygon models and sprites. (just prerendered BGs) In that respect it's like Alone in the Dark and the Jag CD's Highlander. (highlander probably should have had more empahssis on sprites/2D objects given how primitive the polygonal stuff ended up -it mostly looks sub alone in the dark)

• Like 1

You mean total lack of camera angles, right? It's a 2D game with some added polygon models and sprites. (just prerendered BGs) In that respect it's like Alone in the Dark and the Jag CD's Highlander. (highlander probably should have had more empahssis on sprites/2D objects given how primitive the polygonal stuff ended up -it mostly looks sub alone in the dark)

Well lets say that it gets much better when that kind of game is 3D and either FPS or TPS

Its difficult to understand why Highlander looks so primitive - there's really no reason why it had to.

I'd imagine it is possibly due to it being a first generation game, and possibly being nagged into launch by Atari so they have another title for the CD Unit. If they were allowed the time to work on it, or learn the system better, they could possibly have made it a lot shinier.

Its difficult to understand why Highlander looks so primitive - there's really no reason why it had to.

It's a good bit more primitive than either some of the early, relatively poor examples of 3D on the Jag (I think Gorf mentioned that Checkered Flag or Club Drive may actually have been relying on Atari's poor GPU compiler).

Actually, it almost looks like they used the 68k to calculate the 3D with no use of the GPU at all... (just the 68k and blitter, I mean it's not really that far from stuff you might see on a 16 MHz Amiga or STe, or a 286 PC for that matter -probably not that different from Alone in the Dark running on fast 286 without wait states)

It wouldn't have been too out of place on the CD32 either.

Well lets say that it gets much better when that kind of game is 3D and either FPS or TPS

You mean 1st and 3rd person POV, right? Shooters are a different genre entirely from action/adventure type games. (you have some horror themed shooters too, but that's not what most the classic RE games are, or some others like the Silent Hill series)

It's closer to a game like Grimm Fandango with more of an action theme and less puzzles. (Silent Hill is more in between with a pretty heavy emphasis on exploration and puzzles)

Like how Tomb Raider isn't a 3rd person shooter either, but an action-adventure game more comparable to the 3D zelda games and such. ;) (also some platforming elements -but Zelda has a lot of that too)

Or why the metroid prime games aren't FPSs either. (they're action-adventure/puzzle games)

Many, many genres had a fair amount of prerendered still BG areas (including the N64 zelda games) up through most of last generation and occasionally in this generation as well. (and sometimes full realtime renderers with limited PoV more like prerendered games)

The likes of Resident Evil and Grimm Fandango really go back to Kings's quest with the same sort of still/animated BGs and moving a player a round the 2D environment. (then you had various 1st person graphic adventures as well, like later Zork games and the Myst series)

And you still have examples of that today with what Telltale is putting out among a few others.

That's one thing I like about the survival horror genre: many games focusing on the action-adventure and puzzle solving side of things. (I don't care much for the early RE games given the general lack of polish and weaker story -iirc not many good puzzles either- but that's what makes the better Silent Hill games so great and some others of the genre -even some of the FPS-oriented derivatives of the horror genre kept that going like with Bioshock -though that draws some elements from the classic System Shock games too, an earlier example of a 1st person game making good use of the adventure and puzzle elements, more like what Metroid Prime did too -action adventure/puzzle with added FPS elements and 1st person PoV)

Edited by kool kitty89

Screw the arguing (part 3) - can someone please write Wing Commander for the Jag ? :ponder:

No need, you just have to use the special CD expansion.

post-5887-130014757302_thumb.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, except that duct taping a CD-X/Multimega/Sega CD/X'Eye/etc would give much better results. ;) (except for the argubly weaker replaced music -good music and excellent use of the synth hardware -except the intro's red book track- but I like the feel of the original tracks better myself -both are good, so it's hard to complain)

I'd imagine it is possibly due to it being a first generation game, and possibly being nagged into launch by Atari so they have another title for the CD Unit. If they were allowed the time to work on it, or learn the system better, they could possibly have made it a lot shinier.

Yeah what LinkoVitch said. Anyone know if this game uses mostly the 68k? That could help explain it if it does.

I wonder how good the second one is or if it uses the same engine.

Yeah what LinkoVitch said. Anyone know if this game uses mostly the 68k? That could help explain it if it does.

Not necessarily. 68K usage does not automagically equal shit capabilities or performance. You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish with just the 68K driving the custom chips...

For that matter the 'action' parts of Highlander look like they could have been written better on unexpanded 68K computers like the ST or Amiga.

• Like 2