IGNORED

Ultimate1MB preorder starts

candle

Chear or Pro?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PCB be PRO?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

its not a bug, its feature ;)

SDX doesn't set this field (day of the week) when doing write to RTC, and bios doesn't calculate it, but just displays

if all else fails, you can send me that blackbox so i could see whats going on - i don't know anyone else who would use it anyways, but still i'm willing to debug it

Ah I see about the RTC thing. Thanks for explanation.

Last question: I thought that battery was also for Ramdisk Backup, but for some reason, after I switched off my Atari, and switched it back on my Ramdisk containts garbage (yes I do a re-init ramdisk without formatting).

Isn't the battery backing up ramdisk content?

Ah I see about the RTC thing. Thanks for explanation.

Last question: I thought that battery was also for Ramdisk Backup, but for some reason, after I switched off my Atari, and switched it back on my Ramdisk containts garbage (yes I do a re-init ramdisk without formatting).

Isn't the battery backing up ramdisk content?

According to the schematics on Candle`s web site the battery only connects to pin 2 of the DS1305 RTC chip.

@Candle

About sending my blackbox... I have to think that over. I'm a bit afraid it might get damaged due to abusive shipping-habits of the Dutch Post (they really REALLY s*ck, and they play football and all that kind of things with our packages). I hope I can find out WHY it doesn't work. As soon as I know what is happening, I will give you a detailed description of everything I found...

At this moment I have the idea that my Atari (when the blackbox is connected) is not convinced of the fact that there is actual a valid BASIC running. It looks like half of the atari knows it is there, and the other half doesn't. So I get the Ready prompt, and after that my atari freezes.

Pressing reset gives funny results (like a reset loop).

As soon as I insert a cartridge in the Atari with Basic on it, everything works fine.

I have checked a few memory locations (like TRAMSZ ($06), BASICF ($3F8), GINTLK ($3FA), and PORTB ($D301)) but every location gives the right result.

I have the feeling it has something to do with the PIA emulation of Ultimate board, but I can not find evidence about that yet.

I keep you informed.

Greetz

M.

the symptoms you've describes suggest that memory is not initialised properly

this symptom was present in early bios versions, and then it was fixed

if blackbox does its own decoding in d6xx-d7xx range and it has some registers that leaves memory map in uncertain state then this might be a problem

I will burn an older Firmware of BlackBox, and check that out.

I'm pretty sure the BlackBox uses that Area $d6xx-$d7xx and It's probably very possible that what you describe is happening.

It is not really a very big deal (I can use my BASIC Cart when I need basic) but it would be cool if it worked 100%)

Thanks again for all your support!

I have been testing things out, and Ultimate 1MB works very well. It's an extremely cool project.

Hello Candle

You are right, it's not compliant. But I've been told by both Guus Assman and Matthias Belitz that I can be upgraded so that it will free up the PBI bus, using parts that cost less then half a euro. Unfortunately, neither is willing to tell me how it's done.

Mathy

Hmmm things aren't getting any better here. Now in my Ultimate Bios menu I see some garbage in the screen graphics.

Too much bus load. Without BlackBox the Ultimate 1MB upgrade is great, but with BlackBox it is a no go.

I will try a decent Ph2 fix in my 800XL, but since I have seen this issue before on a Flashbased OS upgrade, I'm afraid this is not fixable.

Since my blackbox is my first choice add-on on my Atari 8bit, I think I stay with my homemade 512KB SRAM upgrade (Hiassoft version) on this Atari, and use the Ultimate 1MB in my test setup.

Marius, best way would be shipping it over

i know how expensive it had to be in the first place (atariki states insane money being paid for it), but Deutche post can't be that bad

some folks from Germany used DHL for shipments, and their parcells were always delivered safe and sound

i would not suspect bus overloade of any sort, even if i consider that black box is ttl parts - and lots of them

ultimate1mb is 3 more chips directly on atari bus, and they are modern technology that doesn't introduce too much of capacitance nor bus load

Thanks Mathy

I already have (not) that was posted here in the erm, morning? and now doesn't exist

but that won't enable me poking my oscilloscope into it and finding out whats really going on

without it, and basing soleyly on schematics, i can't get very far

all i can do is to hack it so it would be pbi compatible

I know it's "early", but could you please rewrite the above? I don't understand what you are saying.

At the meanwhile he has the schematics but one can't connect a scope to a schematic to measure some things.

IOW: He needs a BlackBox. Both mine are in use and having to miss one for some time leaves me handicapped.