IGNORED

Easter Tournament: Funspot XII

8 members have voted

1. 1. Out of the Possible 8, How Many AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Word Records Will Be Broken In This Tourney?

• None
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five
    • Six
    • Seven
    • Eight
  2. 2. Out Of the Possible 8, Which AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC World Record Will Most Likely Be Broken?

• Bank Panic
    • Defender
    • Lady Bug
    • Mouse Trap
    • Qix
    • Sinistar
    • Star Castle
    • Toobin'

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Nice job patbb! I got my work cut out for me :)

For the rest that need a bit of help on Qix, I recorded a good run (I messed up at the end... too many beers :) ) that you can see my strategy.

Thank you.

And Thanks for sharing your video.

You can have a look at my strategy here:

edit: I know, I know I was lucky at level 2 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWjOS-lC23o

and my new score for QIX: 70,804

Edited by patbb
  • Like 1

Very lucky, but hey, a score is a score.

Seems like we have just about the same strategy... but I really like the idea of the long corridor, then small lines across to shrink the amount of space left for the Qix to go, then to close it off.

I'll have to try that :)

Just played a few games of Mouse Trap. I have this for Atari 2600, which up until now is the only version I've played. It's a really fun game, but I'm finding it incredibly frustrating. What is the deal with that hawk? You can't kill it, there's nowhere to hide from it, and it follows you around until you can safely get to the little box at the center of the screen. Ok, typical 80's arcade game stuff so far. But as if it isn't hard enough already, the stupid hawk turns invisible and just pops up right in your path to kill you at random intervals, giving you no opportunity to even try to dodge it? Seriously? Stuff like that pisses me off, it's so cheap and it almost ruins an otherwise very fun game. :x

Is this how the game really plays? Or is my emulation running slow and screwing up or something? The invisible hawk is so stupid, if I didn't know better I'd assume it was a glitch in the emulation.

Rant over, back to playing. :cool:

Edited by Cynicaster

Just played a few games of Mouse Trap. I have this for Atari 2600, which up until now is the only version I've played. It's a really fun game, but I'm finding it incredibly frustrating. What is the deal with that hawk? You can't kill it, there's nowhere to hide from it, and it follows you around until you can safely get to the little box at the center of the screen. Ok, typical 80's arcade game stuff so far. But as if it isn't hard enough already, the stupid hawk turns invisible and just pops up right in your path to kill you at random intervals, giving you no opportunity to even try to dodge it? Seriously? Stuff like that pisses me off, it's so cheap and it almost ruins an otherwise very fun game. :x

Is this how the game really plays? Or is my emulation running slow and screwing up or something? The invisible hawk is so stupid, if I didn't know better I'd assume it was a glitch in the emulation.

What you have to do when the hawk shows up is go the center of the screen where IN is. Wait until the hawk is almost on top of you and go IN. You'll get away from the hawk but the risk is that you'll end up in one of the four corners and get killed. Therefore, try turning into a dog first before you go IN.

What you have to do when the hawk shows up is go the center of the screen where IN is. Wait until the hawk is almost on top of you and go IN. You'll get away from the hawk but the risk is that you'll end up in one of the four corners and get killed. Therefore, try turning into a dog first before you go IN.

This reminds me of a great quote from the movie Ghostbusters II

"Your Honor, ladies and gentleman of the audience, i don't think it's fair to call my clients frauds.

Sure, the blackout was a big problem for everybody.

I was trapped in an elevator for two hours and i had to make the whole time.

But i don't blame them. Because one time, i turned into a dog and they helped me. Thank you." :)

lady:59,670

mouse:121,350

edit: QIX:70,804 see post #53

The mouse trap record will be difficult to break.icon_exclaim.gif

I had the chance of witnessing the million point game during last year Funspot tourney.

His strategy was to always go in the center and wait for the hawk. I soon as the IN was flashing you go in and try to make it back to the center while getting the most cheeses as possible.

post-25394-0-60465600-1303569331_thumb.png

post-25394-0-01466800-1303569332_thumb.png

Edited by patbb

Toobin' - 213,686 (is that a record?)

Yeah, it is. Congrats on breaking my record. :thumbsup: :)

That's seven!

Who can break Mouse Trap? I can't - I don't have a controller

Seven records out of 10 games, and the tourney is less than half over?

I think everybody needs to take a pee test following the tournament. :D

Lady Bug

at one point I was going to get the fruit, then an enemy died (which removes the fruit) and another enemy followed me into the spawning zone...icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Mouse Trap

I really don't know how I pulled this one off...usually I'm lucky if I get to 30K

post-28043-0-86548100-1303615669_thumb.png

post-28043-0-12908400-1303642435_thumb.png

Edited by mr. toast

Tournament standings have been updated.

If the tournament ended now, using the proposed rule changes for season 4, the point distribution would be as follows:

Game Points

Cynicaster 42

patbb 36

rmaerz 24

roadrunner 20

LarcenTyler 12

mr. toast 10

keilbaca 4

Tournament Percentages

patbb 67.54% *

Cynicaster 66.25% 15 pts

rmaerz 44.56% *

roadrunner 31.50% 12 pts

mr. toast 22.52% *

LarcenTyler 18.17% 10 pts

keilbaca 9.26% *

* ineligible for tournament point distribution - did not play all games in the tourney

Total Tournament Point Distribution (Game Points Earned + Pct Score Standings)

Cynicaster 57

patbb 36

roadrunner 32

rmaerz 24

LarcenTyler 22

mr. toast 10

keilbaca 4