IGNORED

Disk to Tape on 8bit

Ryoko Demon

Hi,

Is there a program on the 8 bits that can copy binary programs from disk to tape? I don't mean basic programs but exe or com files. Tried with various dos versions like sparta, 2.5, mydos and so on that did'nt work of course. I've got a friend who picked up a 600XL with a 64k internal upgrade and it came with a 1010 but doesn't have a floppy drive or anything else yet and I want to give him a few programs on tape to use until he does get a drive.

It's not quite that simple.

Binary load files are only native to DOS, the OS doesn't support them.

So, you need a 2-stage loader. I used to have one decades ago that did a Binary Load from tape but I stopped using tapes around 1984.

A better solution would be to just get a whole bunch of CAS images then use CAS2WAV to create a bunch of WAV files. Then you can record direct to cassette, or put on a CD and copy the CD to tape the old fashioned way.

Hi,

Is there a program on the 8 bits that can copy binary programs from disk to tape? I don't mean basic programs but exe or com files. Tried with various dos versions like sparta, 2.5, mydos and so on that did'nt work of course. I've got a friend who picked up a 600XL with a 64k internal upgrade and it came with a 1010 but doesn't have a floppy drive or anything else yet and I want to give him a few programs on tape to use until he does get a drive.

I have a few copiers on my page : http://pokeysoft.no/games/atari/a8util.htm

search for tape and see what you can find. Some are very good, but mostly for single stage loads

Well,

1) there are lots of C/D Copiers which will copy files between tape and disk (any direction), e.g. CD-Copy 54k, Speed-Copy 56k, Coolcopy 130XE, Filemover (37k), Powercopy (48k), etc. - some of them can be found on CDCOPY.ATR and CAS2DSK.ATR... [these copy-programs should be loaded from DOS]

but they will only copy ML-files *.XEX/*.COM and err, to load these files from disk one would use a DOS or gamedos...

2) however to load such ML-files from tape one requires a bootloader like e.g. COS (CK-COS, Happy-COS, etc.), BLC, tape-bootloader, etc. - some of them can be found on Turtap1.ATR and Howfen.ATR... [these bootloaders *.CAS should be copied to and then booted from tape]

3) to copy some bootdisks into tape-files or boot-tapes one could try special programs like e.g. BURP, Super-Copy, Howfen-DOS and others - some of them can be found on Howfen.ATR and CAS2DSK.ATR (and if you copy+convert the programs into a boot-tape no bootloader will be needed then, just boot the tape with holding down the START or Start+Option key; but if you copy+convert the programs into tape-files a bootloader like the ones mentioned in point 2) will be needed)...

Not every disk-program (no matter if disk-file or boot-disk) can be copied easily into tape format however and you need a lot of patience to transfer programs from disk to tape (you should also verify the copy on tape later on to make sure you created a good/working copy)...

-Andreas Koch.

tape_tools.zip

• 8 months later...

I'm replying to this thread just to get it back on top of the post list. There's a new same question that asks this. Because I don't know how to point to a previous thread.

Just right click post # and when the Dialoge box appearspost-10165-0-61855100-1323556390_thumb.png left click on the highlighted text and select COPY. Close the dialogue box and return to the Topic you want to post and paste the copied text into your POST...

And err,

here are some more or other tools to copy COM/XEX/EXE files from disk to tape. Some of the tools will convert the COM/XEX/EXE files into boot-tapes that can be booted with Start + Option. Some tools will not convert the diskfiles, which means on tape one requires a bootloader, like BL/C or COS or something similar to load them...

-Andreas Koch.

DSK2TAPE.ZIP