IGNORED

HSC8 Round 5: Berzerk

Time to annihilate some bad guys (at last!)

Berzerk

Game closes Sunday 3rd April 10am GMT

Download the games here:

Atarimania has COM file Berzerk Rating 7.9

Fandal has XEX file Berzerk patched for XL/XE

1pt bonus for beating the HSC Bererk record of 13,580 held by iratanam

If you want to do some extra Berzerking for some bonus HSC points we have the following Bonus Games:

Berzerk (KE)

ATR by Kemal Ezcan (ATR Turbo Basic XL/XE only). 1st place 2pts, 1pt for all other places.

Krazy Shoot Out

ROM XEX 4pts for top, 3pts for 2nd-5th, 2pts 6th-9th, 1pt for all other places.

Maniac!

XEX 1st place 2pts, 1pt for all other places.

Berzerk (UP)

ATR (ATR file boot with BASIC) by Ulf Petersen

Checkout Wikipedia's Berzerk Page and the previous HSC rounds of Berzerk for some good tips: (3-21 & 1-1, Hey it was the first HSC game?! kudos to Goochman for spawning this little baby :thumbsup: )

Game On Chicken!

Is the PAL version slower than NTSC? I don't want to lose because the PAL players (wankers) are fighting robots that are moving slower than three-toed sloths stuck in molasses. Chicken. Fight like a... NTSC robot!

By the way, there's a bug in the game. If Otto is chasing you and you move into the left doorway - without exiting - he will think you're on the other side and go bouncing to the right. I once spent 10 minutes just psyching out Otto. (the bastard deserved it)

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Is the PAL version slower than NTSC? I don't want to lose because the PAL players (wankers) are fighting robots that are moving slower than three-toed sloths stuck in molasses. Chicken. Fight like a... NTSC robot!

By the way, there's a bug in the game. If Otto is chasing you and you move into the left doorway - without exiting - he will think you're on the other side and go bouncing to the right. I once spent 10 minutes just psyching out Otto. (the bastard deserved it)

Hey u know the w word is quite offensive over here... just checking :ponder: Other insults are much nicer try gits, were ok with that (gonna take special delight in crushing your score like a fly) :D

17,670!

post-9712-0-20968900-1300662910_thumb.png

Once you figure out how the robots move, you really don't have to shoot too much. You can make them run into/shoot each other, clearing the way for you to pick off the last few robots and exit the room.

Also, you get an extra life at 5K and 10K, but that seems to be it. I didn't get one at 15K.

Edited by Deteacher

I found my problem with sound. I grabbed the XEX from Fandal's site but copied the wrong XEX to my SD card.

The sound now works as expected but occasionally I get this display corruption.

post-9154-0-67542500-1300665587_thumb.jpg

Evil Otto has partially spawned and is white in color.

Once I get this corruption it returns every time Evil Otto appears.

@Mr.Amiga500

With your XEX the Evil Otto bounce sounds were OK but laser blasts were just momentary scratch sounds.

-Steve Sheppard

I thought "wanker" was just a casual insult. OK, you poxy git. :D

Now that's more like it :P

Off to dig out the 800 from the cupboard (that's closet to you)... darn it, I'd just got the XL nicely under the main TV in the front room and the XE on a desk in the dining room... shame I don't have a third 1050 ;)

Ugh, the Ulf Peterson one is insanely hard. Even moving left right they shoot much faster than you do. and sometimes you don't even see them shoot at you until you are dead.

Back tracking slightly (after playing these bonus games I've downgraded the scoring for them) and added Krazy Shoot Out as the main side-show for Berzerk to keep us busy, this looks like an excellent clone (see post 1 for details and scoring folks).

If there are any others out there post and we'll have a bash at them too. The A8 Berzerk (atari) is listed as a prototype so I guess that explains its flaws especially on the movement, still very playable though - remember not to press fire to start your go or you have to cycle through the levels to get back to level 1!

Berzerk 8,630

Berzerk UP 150

Berzerk KE 4,120

Krazy Shootout 3,140 Goon Class 3 (there you go Mr.A it's official!) Be sure to post your ranks folks ;)

post-19705-0-08320500-1300748078_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-99787000-1300748090_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-58796900-1300748098_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-03225200-1300748109_thumb.jpg

Back tracking slightly (after playing these bonus games I've downgraded the scoring for them) and added Krazy Shoot Out as the main side-show for Berzerk to keep us busy, this looks like an excellent clone (see post 1 for details and scoring folks).

Hmmm. I actually have that game as well. How'd that happen? ;)