I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I'm used to rain and rainy days. I remember spending many hours of my childhood in front of my TI, playing games while the weather was too nasty to go out in.
So, I propose this for a contest: write a game that you'd play on such a day. It should be fun to play as well as hold your interest for at least an hour. A good cerebral game with thinking, strategics, and brain challenges is the ideal. There's nothing wrong with a fun little sprite shooter, but they generally would only occupy you for a few minutes. Then you'd be looking for another game. No game will be "refused" based on these guidelines, but it will be considered in judging if the game involves a lot of manual joystick movement and not a lot of thinking.
Also, unlike the other contests, we'll open this up on the technical side while limiting the theme. Write in any language/platform you want! The only rule is, it can't require hardware that isn't common. Pascal is right out.
All entries should be posted to the "Official Rainy Day Game Contest" thread which I will start as soon as someone has a game to post.
- Write a game on platform language of choice
- Must be loadable with BASIC, Extended BASIC or the Editor/Assembler cartridge
- Can use 32k memory expansion, and a single drive/disk for data storage (Keep it to a classic 90k disk if you can)
- Can use machine language subroutines
- All entries due by October 3rd, 2011
- You may enter as many games as you wish, but only one will be considered for prizes
- Game may be either an original idea or a port of another game for another platform
At least six contest entries must be presented for prizes to be awarded.
The winning entries will receive:
1st Prize - F18A board, serial
2nd Prize - 250k RAMdisk
3rd Prize - Full-color original printed manual for Pitfall! cartridge
Games will be judged in three categories, in order of priority:
- Game Play (Must be fun and involving, have depth)
- Performance (Should be playable on iron, but CPU overdrive is fine)
- Graphics (Gotta look good)
Incidentally, if I do write an entry for this contest, it's not a contender. Please offer any comments, suggestions, concerns, criticisms, etc. on this thread.
Edited by adamantyr, Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 PM.