IGNORED

HSC8 Bonus Round 10: Discussion

OK folks, get your thinking caps on :dunce: :party: :ahoy:

Round 6 10 will be a 'Theme Round' so come up with a theme, suggest a few games, suggest games for others themes etc.

For example: Jewels, War, Water, Fire, games by a certain author, company, starting with a letter... ones where a bird poops on you, anything really...

Ideally don't include the big titles that would make a good regular HSC game in their own right, well maybe one would be ok. There are many good games never seen in the HSC such as Turmoil, so pick one of your favourites and concoct a theme for it. Perhaps we'll play 5-7 games over a 4 week period :ponder:

The best ones will be put to the vote :)

Lost Tomb is possibly my favourite game of this ilk (we played it in the 'Time for Desert' round last season, speaking of which get your thinking caps on folks as we're having a theme round next (groans)... I'll start a thread for this soon icon_exclaim.gif

Must have racked my brain playing Kemal's version of Berzerk and then bludgeoned what's left attempting to play Ulf's. I don't see the connection between Lost Tomb and Berzerk.

My small idea for a theme is downward scrollers. Xevious comes to mind (even if it is a 5200 conversion).

I'll add Dreadnaught Factor, River Rat and/or Water Ski School as possibiles to your 'vertical' scrollers idea :thumbsup: Speaking of which I'm going for the Water Based theme, I'll call it "Water Slaughter"

Some ideas:

River Rat

River Rescue

Captain Sticky's Gold

Sea Fox or Sea Chase

Water Ski School

Sea Dragon

Escape (BASIC) :D

Need to come up with a title for your themes (or other peoples) folks - don't be mean ;)

I don't like this "theme" stuff. Can't we just compete in one game at a time? Multiple game competition is a confusing mess.

I agree.

More than one game, games added, games removed, rules changed confuse me too.

I would prefer only one game for only one week.

I don't like this "theme" stuff. Can't we just compete in one game at a time? Multiple game competition is a confusing mess.

I'd like to play Seafox, but the rest don't interest me at all.

We've played 1 game for the season so far, apart from the last round when Pooyan was flawed - are you in for whatever game wins the regular vote then?! We could put this 'theme round' off until round 10 and carry on as we are for a while... :ponder: Keep the suggestions coming though everyone...

We've played 1 game for the season so far, apart from the last round when Pooyan was flawed - are you in for whatever game wins the regular vote then?!

Sure - as long as whatever game wins is the game I want to win. Just give me time enough to hack into the AtariAge servers to modify the polls. ;)

How about suggesting a few more for the Games List :P Tell you what; you suggest 5 and the next round we'll take your suggestions - see what I do to manipulate you surreptitiously (ooops did I type that our loud)... if anyone else wants to do the same stick them here and we'll take them too for rounds 7 8 and 9 then 10 will be the 'Theme Round' :twisted:

p.s. Sloop ya can't have crossfire, crossfire, crossfire, crossfire and crossfire - but you could do a theme round involving fires (or crosses) :P

Crossfire,

Firefleet,

Fire Chief...

I've thought of another bonus round category "Games With Smiley Faces":

Berzerk (Notso-Evil-looking Otto)

Diamonds and Dan Strikes Back (Brian The Blob)

Jawbreaker (especially the one with the big heads III?)

and of course Briky (erm Mr Briky?)

:D

[edit]

Candy Factory?

Hi all,

Here's my tuppence for what it's worth..

I think it works better with one (two at the most) games in the competition on a fortnightly basis...

At the minute there are four games in the competition, two I haven't even loaded to try because the other two are keeping me to busy!:D

Now, Berzerk won, although I'm not a fan (probably becuase I'm no bloody good at it!), the sense of competition and seeing other peoples scores eggs me on to beat my own best and possibly their scores. K-Razy Shootout is much more fun to play IMO but I'm happy to play both.

One thing I've noticed since 'joining' the 8-bit HSC is that it makes me persevere with games I would only give a moments attention to when I find it on a Rob.C/Mulitboot disk or perhaps even discover games I never knew existed! I admit Pooyan was a disappointment after repeated playing but the inclusion of Jungle Hunt saved the day. To include more than two might be overkill? Just a thought...

Right, back to Berzerk - no robot callls me a chicken!

Dom

Hi all,

Here's my tuppence for what it's worth..

I think it works better with one (two at the most) games in the competition on a fortnightly basis...

At the minute there are four games in the competition, two I haven't even loaded to try because the other two are keeping me to busy!:D

Now, Berzerk won, although I'm not a fan (probably becuase I'm no bloody good at it!), the sense of competition and seeing other peoples scores eggs me on to beat my own best and possibly their scores. K-Razy Shootout is much more fun to play IMO but I'm happy to play both.

One thing I've noticed since 'joining' the 8-bit HSC is that it makes me persevere with games I would only give a moments attention to when I find it on a Rob.C/Mulitboot disk or perhaps even discover games I never knew existed! I admit Pooyan was a disappointment after repeated playing but the inclusion of Jungle Hunt saved the day. To include more than two might be overkill? Just a thought...

Right, back to Berzerk - no robot callls me a chicken!

Dom

Tuppence, Cents all welcome keeps things interesting ;)

The extra two games Berzerk KE and Maniac! will only take a few minutes to play and the scoring reflects this basically 1pt for having a quick go! You're lucky you didn't play the Berzerk UP version :ponder:

I decided not to test out game before the contests start (most I know but some I haven't played in a long time and they might have scoring flaws etc) as this would give me an advantage, so I prefer to only play the games during the 2 week periods to give everyone a fair chance (though Deteacher doesn't need any assistance!) but this can lead to a few "tweaks".

I like to throw a few extras in for those who want to play a bit more, yes it's nice to play games like K-Rrazy Shootout which I might never have played again, but now you have a score to go for it's quite fun :) There are loads of games that would never win a vote or even get suggested but occasionally a gem is turned up. so I like to sneak a few in, even just to try them out... why should I suffer alone :D

Here are my five options... A digital donut to the first person who can guess the connection (it's fairly easy)

Lone Raider

Heartache

Cygnus X1

Contagion

Nucleus

Games that may not work right on a stock US Atari 8 bit computer?

LOL, valid also... but to late for the Digital Donut, Maybe Fres will send you some of his crumbs...

I know Lone Raider works on NTSC ok, the others not so sure about, I'll have to give them a try.

Lost Tomb is possibly my favourite game of this ilk (we played it in the 'Time for Desert' round last season, speaking of which get your thinking caps on folks as we're having a theme round next (groans)... I'll start a thread for this soon icon_exclaim.gif

Must have racked my brain playing Kemal's version of Berzerk and then bludgeoned what's left attempting to play Ulf's. I don't see the connection between Lost Tomb and Berzerk.

My small idea for a theme is downward scrollers. Xevious comes to mind (even if it is a 5200 conversion).

I'll add Dreadnaught Factor, River Rat and/or Water Ski School as possibiles to your 'vertical' scrollers idea :thumbsup: Speaking of which I'm going for the Water Based theme, I'll call it "Water Slaughter"

Some ideas:

River Rat

River Rescue

Captain Sticky's Gold

Sea Fox or Sea Chase

Water Ski School

Sea Dragon

Escape (BASIC) :D

Need to come up with a title for your themes (or other peoples) folks - don't be mean ;)

Thinking of the idea of vertical (downward) scrollers was easy.

Coming up with a list of names, not quite.

So far all I have is River Raid, Xevious, Dreadnaught Factor, Space Hawk, and The Last Guardian. River Raid has been played to death. Space Hawk and The Last Guardian don't work right in NTSC.

[ADDITIONS]

Tiger Attack

[EDIT]

Orpheuswaking has pointed me to Speed Hawk.

Edited by a8isa1

We've played 1 game for the season so far, apart from the last round when Pooyan was flawed - are you in for whatever game wins the regular vote then?!

Sure - as long as whatever game wins is the game I want to win. Just give me time enough to hack into the AtariAge servers to modify the polls. ;)

How about suggesting a few more for the Games List :P Tell you what; you suggest 5 and the next round we'll take your suggestions - see what I do to manipulate you surreptitiously (ooops did I type that our loud)... if anyone else wants to do the same stick them here and we'll take them too for rounds 7 8 and 9 then 10 will be the 'Theme Round' :twisted:

p.s. Sloop ya can't have crossfire, crossfire, crossfire, crossfire and crossfire - but you could do a theme round involving fires (or crosses) :P

Crossfire,

Firefleet,

Fire Chief...

HEY! i wasnt gonna say that... i was gonna list crossfire, and... well i am working on that... i already know the theme, i just need to find games that follow the theme...

sloopy.

ok... whats the common 'theme'

crossfire

darts Thorn EMI version

Race in Space (Analog)

Dodge Racer

Protector (Synapse)

oh... and

K-Razy ShootOut

Asteroids

Deluxe Invaders

could be added in and still follow the same theme...

sloopy.

crossfire

darts Thorn EMI version

Race in Space (Analog)

Dodge Racer

Protector (Synapse)

oh... and

K-Razy ShootOut

Asteroids

Deluxe Invaders

sloopy.

All came out in 1981

crossfire

darts Thorn EMI version

Race in Space (Analog)

Dodge Racer

Protector (Synapse)

oh... and

K-Razy ShootOut

Asteroids

Deluxe Invaders

sloopy.

All are games i suck at. :)

crossfire

darts Thorn EMI version

Race in Space (Analog)

Dodge Racer

Protector (Synapse)

oh... and

K-Razy ShootOut

Asteroids

Deluxe Invaders

sloopy.

All came out in 1981

read about this in history class?

damn whippersnapper...

sloopy.