IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0 - new IDE host adapter

drac030

What are the jumpers for on the IDE Plus 2.0, is there any documentation on how to use them?

They're there to hook up the extra ECI signals not present on the XL's PBI connector. MetalGuy66 shows how to connect them here.

Not essential, in my experience, unless you want to use SDX with an external cartridge on an XL machine. I guess I'll hook it up sooner or later, but mine works fine as is. I still haven't figured out how to make these extra connections without it looking like a kludge round the back of the machine, although Sloopy (IIRC) had the idea of using an old BASIC cart shell and running the extra connections out of that. At least it saves soldering a bunch of wires to the motherboard.

Edited by flashjazzcat

The built in ARC on the IDE plus 2.0 does not seem to be keeping the correct time/date in Sparta Dos X 4.43. I set the time and after a power down it reset back to some time in 2006. Does the ARC need a special driver to work with Spartados X 4.43? My Rtime8 cart does hold time when connected, I was hoping that the Rtime8 cart would not be needed with the built in ARC. Anyone having the same issue?

Everything else seems to be working great, this device loads incredibly fast, I read earlier in the thread about unlimited partitions, this will be a great feature, I am looking forward to when this comes available.

Best Regards

Robert Miller

The built in ARC on the IDE plus 2.0 does not seem to be keeping the correct time/date in Sparta Dos X 4.43. I set the time and after a power down it reset back to some time in 2006. Does the ARC need a special driver to work with Spartados X 4.43? My Rtime8 cart does hold time when connected, I was hoping that the Rtime8 cart would not be needed with the built in ARC. Anyone having the same issue?

Everything else seems to be working great, this device loads incredibly fast, I read earlier in the thread about unlimited partitions, this will be a great feature, I am looking forward to when this comes available.

Best Regards

Robert Miller

Are you using the new driver for IDEPlus 2.0 on-board real-time clock: IDEPTIME.SYS

If I remember correctly, the current version of the IDEPTIME.SYS driver is distributed along with the latest IDE+ BIOS, here: http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

The driver bundled with SDX 4.44 has a problem which has recently been discovered by flashjazzcat. It turns out that it had been fixed long time ago, but the fix wasn't thus far considered too important.

Edited by drac030

Today I got in my hands an IDE Plus 2.0 interface, which the owner had problems to setup. The symptoms were these:

1) when the computer was powered on with SpartaDOS X disabled, infinite BOOT ERROR message appeared on the screen

2) then the computer was powered on with SpartaDOS X enabled, the SDX started, but an attempt to access any drive caused the error "144 write protected or bad sector" to appear

3) the "Quick disable" and "IDE Interface" options in the Config Screen, even when set to "Shift" and "off" respectively, did not effectively disable the IDE handling.

As a result, SIO drives were not accessible, therefore the interface could not be setup from the utility ATR.

The reason for that is a bug in BIOS v. 0.1, the BIOS does not initialize the internal RAM of the IDE Plus interface properly on bootup, so random values which appear in the RAM after powering the system up may cause occasional or constant problems with initialization.

The solution is to update the IDE Plus BIOS ROM. Steps:

1) mount the "Utilities" ATR (here: http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php ) as D1: via APE, AspeQt, AtariSIO, SIO2BSD or whatever like this.

2) activate SpartaDOS X (the switch to the leftmost position)

3) make sure that the interface is inserted properly and firmly (in some XEs, which have higher "legs", it may be good idea to put a 2-3 mm support under the interface)

4) power the computer up

5) wait for the DOS prompt to appear

6) type POKE $0247,0 and hit Return

7) type DIR D1: to make sure that the DOS works, that you have an access to the SIO drive D1:, that there is the Utilities ATR attached and files are seen properly.

8) type D1:BIOS09 and hit Return

9) answer 'Y' three times to the flasher's questions

10) when the DOS prompt appears again, power the computer down for a while (15-30 seconds)

11) done.

Edited by drac030

• 2 weeks later...

Are the n/c PBI lines left floating on the IDE Plus (crosses fingers and hopes)? This would allow those who wish to add the missing ECI signals to the exisiting PBI connection to do a bit of jumpering and remove the need for the extra 8 pin connector.

When the IDE+ came in in May I thaught about it as well. Unfortunately, there are not enough spare connections available and therefore I skipped this. Pin 47 of the PBI is +5V on 600XL, so there are 4x n/c left. Re-using some of the many Gnd connections might be a choice, but causes at least more work than a jumper cable. Remember, most Atarians don't even need the jumper cable with an XL. Edited by GoodByteXL

When the IDE+ came in in May I thaught about it as well. Unfortunately, there are not enough spare connections available and therefore I skipped this. Pin 47 of the PBI is +5V on 600XL, so there are 4x n/c left. Re-using some of the many Gnd connections might be a choice, but causes at least more work than a jumper cable.

That's too bad. In any case, when Ultimate 1MB is fitted, the requirement for IDE+'s on-board SDX will be lifted, so the extra connections won't be necessary (on my 1200XL).

Edited by flashjazzcat

When the IDE+ came in in May I thaught about it as well. Unfortunately, there are not enough spare connections available and therefore I skipped this. Pin 47 of the PBI is +5V on 600XL, so there are 4x n/c left. Re-using some of the many Gnd connections might be a choice, but causes at least more work than a jumper cable.

That's too bad. In any case, when Ultimate 1MB is fitted, the requirement for IDE+'s on-board SDX will be lifted, so the extra connections won't be necessary (on my 1200XL).

May be I am wrong, but there is only one case were I might need the additional signals to steer a cart connected to the IDE+: OSS super carts (languages, writer's tool). Writer's tool has been put on the shelves by your last word. And when there is a need to use Action or BASIC XL, I switch off the sdx onboard of the IDE+ and use a sdx cart. All other carts (=games) can be put into the usual cart slot of the XL. Switch off sdx and ide in the menu and re-boot. And, because the developers used clever programming for the IDE+, without using a jumper cable one can start those carts also when connected to the IDE+. That's why I didn't add a jumper to my XLs. It's simply not needed.

May be I am wrong, but there is only one case were I might need the additional signals to steer a cart connected to the IDE+: OSS super carts (languages, writer's tool). Writer's tool has been put on the shelves by your last word. And when there is a need to use Action or BASIC XL, I switch off the sdx onboard of the IDE+ and use a sdx cart. All other carts (=games) can be put into the usual cart slot of the XL. Switch off sdx and ide in the menu and re-boot. And, because the developers used clever programming for the IDE+, without using a jumper cable one can start those carts also when connected to the IDE+. That's why I didn't add a jumper to my XLs. It's simply not needed.

This is interesting stuff, since perhaps I misunderstand the mechanism SDX uses to co-exist with what are effectively piggy-back carts. I understood (perhaps wrongly) that the extra signals were required for IDE Plus's on-board SDX to bank out an external cartridge when the library is active (or when CAR: is being accessed, etc). I'm not sure how different the situation is when - for example - MAC/65 is placed in the XL's on-board cartridge slot (as opposed to the IDE Plus's secondary cart slot) while SDX is active. I guess I should simply test it and find out. :)

I'm not sure how different the situation is when - for example - MAC/65 is placed in the XL's on-board cartridge slot (as opposed to the IDE Plus's secondary cart slot) while SDX is active. I guess I should simply test it and find out. :)

This is exactly the case were you will need the jumper cable with an XL. See this source for explanations why.

http://www.serious-dial.atari.pl/zzone/sdxflash.html

Zenon was so nice to handcraft a SDX cart "flash" for me. It is working perfect. SDX onboard of the IDE+ works the same.

Yep - 600XL, straight up.

800XL with the PBI power mod. I found mine was able to run a HDD as well as VBXE on a standard PSU, but I only tried it short term.

I'm running mostly SD card via adaptor now, so there's much less power demand. Those laptop HDDs seem to vary between 0.5 and 1 Amp although I think those specifications are probably over-stated a bit.

Powering the IDE+2?

Can the IDE+2 be powered directly from the PBI on a 600XL -or- a modified 800XL (pin 47, IIRC)?

Thanks,

Larry

I'd suggest taking Pin 47&48 when running a hdd. I do because speed matters to me. As a PSU I baught a small plug version providing 3A, which is pretty enough for the 800XL with all the mods and IDE+ w/ hdd.

Please, see the attached layout of the PBI for more details.

DAPB_PBI.pdf

It's way early, but has anyone replaced the +2 battery yet? Can the existing holder be re-used if the battery weld is separated from the contact? Or is it easier to just desolder and replace the whole battery assembly?

I was surprised to see that it was a soldered-in assembly, but that probably adds reliability.

-Larry

It's way early, but has anyone replaced the +2 battery yet? Can the existing holder be re-used if the battery weld is separated from the contact? Or is it easier to just desolder and replace the whole battery assembly?

I was surprised to see that it was a soldered-in assembly, but that probably adds reliability.

-Larry

Expect to use it at min 5 years, at least these are my experiences. And if necessary, to solder in a newone is a no frills thing at least for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, there is no documentation, I am very sorry for that. If something is unclear or not self-evident, simply ask here. The key information is that holding START during reset (either cold or warm) brings the configuration menu to the screen. The settings are saved in the RTC's memory. To partition the disk, please use IDEa's FDISK for now (available on my website, on IDE utilities image).

Is there any other way to get into the configuration menu besides START+RESET. Like the MIO menu file...

Possibly by jumping thru $E474 with Start being held.

I'm fairly sure the config menu is via the PBI Init code that's called at cold/warmstart.

In theory you could probably write a program that swaps in the IDE +2 ROM @ $D800 and direct jump to the config menu.

But there's the chance it's not fixed location or thru a Jmp vector so might move around between versions.