5 screw NES games

12 replies to this topic

#1 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• 2,340 posts
  • A ROM image is no way to live.

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 PM

I have come across a few of these in the past, and wondered about them but I have never asked any questions or looked more into it. I forget about it, so here I am.

What is the story with these? I just assumed some games were like that when I first saw it, then I noticed that there are games that have 5 and 3 screw case with the same art and everything. Whats up? Are they worth more money? Is there a list of games that have a 5 screw case?

Any info would be nice, I'm just wondering what the deal is. I didn't notice them as a child when I was playing them new, but I keep finding them in my collection now.

#2 Koopa64 ONLINE  

Koopa64

Stargunner

• 1,176 posts
  • Love havin' an Apple //e again!

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:45 PM

5 Screw NES games were just an early design choice. No particular reason behind them. I suppose later Nintendo wanted to ease production costs a bit by replacing two screws with a little more plastic. Only the guys at Nintendoage have an interest in small variants like a 5 screw MTPO or Mega Man. Those particular titles are probably just anomalies considering their rarity. I wouldn't worry about NES variants if I were you, again only the ADD kids at Nintendoage care about them.

#3 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,340 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 PM

Ii don't seek them but I have noticed them so I thought id ask. Thanks for the info.

#4 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,940 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:01 PM

some of the 5 screw use famicom-nes adapters in them

#5 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,340 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:51 PM

Now that is interesting... could I gut one, get said adapter and use it with famicom games as is?

#6 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,940 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:06 PM

Now that is interesting... could I gut one, get said adapter and use it with famicom games as is?

i have one that used to be a gyromite and now has one of those 30 in 1 famiclone carts

#7 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,340 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 PM

i have one that used to be a gyromite and now has one of those 30 in 1 famiclone carts

That is pretty freaking cool. I'mma have to look into that.

#8 tz101 OFFLINE  

tz101

River Patroller

• 2,138 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 PM

I buy the 5 screw NES carts whenever I can. I have a Pinball cart that has the Famicom adapter inside. I don't have any Famicom games, but have seen pictures of these inserted in a NES front loader with Famicom cart inserted into the back pins.

I just don't know how many Famicom games might interest me anyway, since I don't read Japanese at all.

#9 raskar42 OFFLINE  

raskar42

River Patroller

• 2,940 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:33 PM

That is pretty freaking cool. I'mma have to look into that.

it was pretty easy to do - you have to cut a litte of the interior tab to get the famicon card to fit, but finished it looks great .

#10 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,859 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:05 PM

5 Screw NES games were just an early design choice. No particular reason behind them. I suppose later Nintendo wanted to ease production costs a bit by replacing two screws with a little more plastic. Only the guys at Nintendoage have an interest in small variants like a 5 screw MTPO or Mega Man. Those particular titles are probably just anomalies considering their rarity. I wouldn't worry about NES variants if I were you, again only the ADD kids at Nintendoage care about them.

That's a mite harsh... I like having 5 screw games.... :?

#11 nester OFFLINE  

nester

Dragonstomper

• 687 posts

Posted Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:02 PM

So you're on Atariage talking about how obsessive Nintendo collectors are. Have you met any Atari collectors? Anyway, NA has a pretty good list of all the 5 screws. There is interest in these because they are the earliest carts produced for the most part. There are a few anomalies though which makes it even more interesting.

5 screw list: http://www.nintendoa...&threadid=12044

#12 HatefulGravey OFFLINE  

HatefulGravey

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,340 posts

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:50 AM

I guess if there are two copies of the same game and the same price I would favor the 5 screw just because it is different. I know the very first time I saw this was when I got Ice Climber for the last season of the NES HSC. Looking at the shelf and seeing a game without the clips on top of the case was a bit of a shock. For a while I assumed it was just that game, then I was going through some doubles and found two copies of Spy Hunter, one that was normal and a 5 screw. So I kept the 5 screw.

#13 ApolloBoy ONLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,256 posts

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 AM

I wouldn't worry about NES variants if I were you, again only the ADD kids at Nintendoage care about them.

Erm, I happen to be one of those "ADD kids". Don't be dissing the 5 screw carts. :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users