IGNORED

Hard coded disk path

OX.

Can someone please tell me how I can reference a hard coded disk path, eg :- RUN "DSK.DRAGON.STORY1" as DSK1 ?

Can we get some context...?

The DSK. parameter attempts to find the disk of the given name in all the drives connected to the controller.

If you want to explicitly run a file on the first drive, try RUN "DSK1.STORY1"

Adamantyr

Can someone please tell me how I can reference a hard coded disk path, eg :- RUN "DSK.DRAGON.STORY1" as DSK1 ?

Not sure of your question but...... your statement would search all available drives for a disk named DRAGON and run a file on that disk called STORY (provided they exist.)

If the dragon disk is in disk drive 1 then run "DSK1.story" would run the file

Not sure why but someone had decided to reference files using both dsk.name.file and dsk1.file, anyway just renamed the disk to what is was looking for. I guess 99% of programs dont bother using the disk name.

That is a pretty sad state. Disk names are like DIR in PC, throwing out the DIR is like going from hard drive back to nothing but A: floppys. As you have 9 different disks in Classic99 you would have to remember what drive stuff is on.

Everyone dumbed down the TI Disk system as they did not seem to grasp simple concepts built into the OS and DSR. And with Emulators the search is so fast it does not matter. Going to DSK# just sucks from all directions.

Edited by RXB

That is a pretty sad state. Disk names are like DIR in PC, throwing out the DIR is like going from hard drive back to nothing but A: floppys. As you have 9 different disks in Classic99 you would have to remember what drive stuff is on.

Classic99 does not support the DSK.DISKNAME.FILENAME convention as folders on a PC don't have a disk name. It's on my TODO list to change that in a future update, probably when I add the rest of disk image support, but it's low priority for me.

Classic99 does not support the DSK.DISKNAME.FILENAME convention as folders on a PC don't have a disk name. It's on my TODO list to change that in a future update, probably when I add the rest of disk image support, but it's low priority for me.

Actually i was refering to the REAL TI99/4A and not the Emulators. As Classic99 allows me to use a mouse to change disks that is not so bad, other then I make copies all the time and fill the trash with them. Most programs I can change to work with Classic99. I have learned to keep a window open that shows the drives I am working on and the changes are live, so that is great.

Edited by RXB

Not sure why but someone had decided to reference files using both dsk.name.file and dsk1.file, anyway just renamed the disk to what is was looking for. I guess 99% of programs dont bother using the disk name.

Everyone dumbed down the TI Disk system as they did not seem to grasp simple concepts built into the OS and DSR. And with Emulators the search is so fast it does not matter. Going to DSK# just sucks from all directions.

Or perhaps back in the day most everyone only had 1 drive so no need for the extra typing ?

Or perhaps back in the day most everyone only had 1 drive so no need for the extra typing ?

That's what I was thinking, either there wasn't much stuff that came on more than 1 disk or utilised more than 1 drive.

1. If you had 2 or three drives, checking the disk name is a fast way to know if you are on the right volume prior to scanning through the FDIR and associated FDRs for the file(s).

2. This method eliminates the need to hard-code a device number. As the user, it wouldn't matter if you put the disk in 1,2,3,...,9. the DSR would locate the proper disk ASSUMING no two disks of the same name were inserted. Useful for those programs which could not save a configuration state (or didn't have the foresight to allow it)

Triva: the HFDC emulates the DSK convention on the hard drive.

I prefer knowing where my files are located and seldom if ever rely on a disk name.

IIRC, the Horizon Ramdisk DSR (ROS) has a similar file-level option to seek multiple ramdisk partitions by setting the drive number to a asterisk "*".

1. If you had 2 or three drives, checking the disk name is a fast way to know if you are on the right volume prior to scanning through the FDIR and associated FDRs for the file(s).

2. This method eliminates the need to hard-code a device number. As the user, it wouldn't matter if you put the disk in 1,2,3,...,9. the DSR would locate the proper disk ASSUMING no two disks of the same name were inserted. Useful for those programs which could not save a configuration state (or didn't have the foresight to allow it)

Triva: the HFDC emulates the DSK convention on the hard drive.

I prefer knowing where my files are located and seldom if ever rely on a disk name.

IIRC, the Horizon Ramdisk DSR (ROS) has a similar file-level option to seek multiple ramdisk partitions by setting the drive number to a asterisk "*".

A full step past that was like me I had 2 Horizon Ramdisks and 4 Disk Drives plus my SCSI Controler with 5 Hard Drives plus number 6 was a SCSI Zip drive. It would have been stupid to not use path names.

RAMdisks were A, B, C and D. So each one had a path DSK.A. DSK.B. DSK.C. and I did the same thing with my SCSI drives. SCSI one was SCS.ONE. or SCS.TWO.

Really finding a file was so easy as cake you did a search and in a short time you found it. I had a XB program that did this. Was faster then looking myself.

A full step past that was like me I had 2 Horizon Ramdisks and 4 Disk Drives plus my SCSI Controler with 5 Hard Drives plus number 6 was a SCSI Zip drive. It would have been stupid to not use path names.

RAMdisks were A, B, C and D. So each one had a path DSK.A. DSK.B. DSK.C. and I did the same thing with my SCSI drives. SCSI one was SCS.ONE. or SCS.TWO.

Really finding a file was so easy as cake you did a search and in a short time you found it. I had a XB program that did this. Was faster then looking myself.

If your RAM disks were named A,B,...... then what was the difference between DSKA and DSK.A ? I have a feeling I am missing something here.

I didn't know you could access the SCSI system by volume name. That's a good bit of info to know. The format is "SCS.VOLUME NAME" ?

If your RAM disks were named A,B,...... then what was the difference between DSKA and DSK.A ? I have a feeling I am missing something here.

I didn't know you could access the SCSI system by volume name. That's a good bit of info to know. The format is "SCS.VOLUME NAME" ?

Yea in my RXB or Rich EA modules I have up to 255 characters per path but the Myarc Hard drive controller could only handle 39 characters. The SCSI have is set up like this

Volume= ONE or TWO or THREE

SubVolume= PGRAM or GRAMULATOR or FWB or SOURCE or LIST or OBJECT or GAMESXB or GAMESEA

Sub SubVolume= XBA or XBB or XBC or EAA or EAB or EAC

So to load a XB game would be:

RUN "SCS1.ONE.GAMESXB.XBC.LOAD"

The load program has the same path so once loaded it just keeps using that volume.

Yea in my RXB or Rich EA modules I have up to 255 characters per path but the Myarc Hard drive controller could only handle 39 characters. The SCSI have is set up like this

SubVolume= PGRAM or GRAMULATOR or FWB or SOURCE or LIST or OBJECT or GAMESXB or GAMESEA

The load program has the same path so once loaded it just keeps using that volume.

Isn't RUN "SCS1.ONE.GAMESXB.XBC.LOAD" the same as RUN "SCS1.GAMESXB.XBC.LOAD" or am I missing what your doing ?

Isn't RUN "SCS1.ONE.GAMESXB.XBC.LOAD" the same as RUN "SCS1.GAMESXB.XBC.LOAD" or am I missing what your doing ?

Sorry you are missing the point. I have 5 SCSI drives and the ZIP drive has 6 different (cartridges discs) Volumes that I can put in just like a disk drive.

The built in search means that if I change drive numbers it alway works no matter what, on the other hand putting the drive number in means I ALWAYS HAVE TO KNOW THE NUMBER.

That is a huge difference, one is user freindly and the other is not so much.