Photo

Flashback 1 is there any mods or fun projects?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Fixitguy74 OFFLINE  

Fixitguy74

Stargunner

• 1,092 posts
  • Nothing here to see, move along.

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011 7:32 AM

I scored a near new condition complete in box original Flashback at a thrift store yesterday and wondered if there were any mods or fun portable projects to build with it. I know it is based on the Nintendo on a chip and wondered can it be modded for a Ninty cart. Also I didn't realize how small it is, but since it's small I thought maybe I could rig it to a small lcd tv for a portable system.

#2 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 6,632 posts

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011 8:51 AM

I asked about six years ago. It is based on a Nintendo-on-a-Chip--the Novatek 6578, to be exact--and Curt Vendel says that there was a FB1 test unit with a cartridge port on it, but it sounds like the modification instructions (assuming it can even be done with production units) are not forthcoming.

It's unfortunate, too: there is at least one NES multi-cart available now with a board that looks small enough to squeeze inside the FB1 case, so it could make a great little all-in-one NES clone ... if only it was possible to add a cartridge port.

#3 Fixitguy74 OFFLINE  

Fixitguy74

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,092 posts
  • Nothing here to see, move along.

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011 9:18 AM

I asked about six years ago. It is based on a Nintendo-on-a-Chip--the Novatek 6578, to be exact--and Curt Vendel says that there was a FB1 test unit with a cartridge port on it, but it sounds like the modification instructions (assuming it can even be done with production units) are not forthcoming.

It's unfortunate, too: there is at least one NES multi-cart available now with a board that looks small enough to squeeze inside the FB1 case, so it could make a great little all-in-one NES clone ... if only it was possible to add a cartridge port.

Guess maybe I'll just focus on making it portable. Or maybe a shelf queen coltectable since the game play is barely any good and most of the 2600 games I already have for the original system (don't have a 7800 yet).

#4 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,579 posts

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011 8:59 PM

I had an idea for a small thing like that: Put the whole thing inside a cd-rom empty shell, and run it into the video input on most video cards. Have it run on the PC or out to a TV set and have the controllers plug into the front. Kind of a technical thing, but might be workable. I was thinking of this for my Yobo, it's already the size of a CD drive.

#5 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,483 posts
  • Berzerk (Atari 2600) champ

Posted Mon May 9, 2011 11:36 AM

I had an idea for a small thing like that: Put the whole thing inside a cd-rom empty shell, and run it into the video input on most video cards. Have it run on the PC or out to a TV set and have the controllers plug into the front. Kind of a technical thing, but might be workable. I was thinking of this for my Yobo, it's already the size of a CD drive.

I've done this already to a 4 switch Atari 2600.

It won me an Intel contest, stuck it in my computer. :)

http://s7.photobucke...ilbaca/My love/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users