IGNORED

would that work? Mortal Kombat on the Lynx

Tempest2k

Cant believe this is actually happening, very cool even if it only ends up as an experiment. Like most here, i really wished to see a Lynx port of MK on the Lynx to compare to the other portable versions.

Since the Lynx is more powerful than the Gamegear, can we by default expect it to be smoother than the GG port. What technical advantages would the Lynx hardware benefit a MK port compared to the GG port?

MK on Lynx sounds really cool, but right now i am more interested on the Karate fighting game thats in the works and the other more modern one that 108 Stars has been mentioning. I would like to know if that more modern one is planned to have "realistic" sized sprites of go to the super deformed look that works so well on the Neo Geo Pocket fighting games.

• Like 1

Thanks 108 stars, not sure if I'll find time today (familien Tag ^^) but i'll try this out ASAP and build up a pre-pre-pre-pre demo.

sd32 > Well what the lynx version could benefit is better music, zoomed sprites (not needed for fighters but at least for the "Finish him"), and probably better animation (coz we have more RAM available). Unfortunately, we have to deal with a rather small screen height (102 pixels instead of 144 for the GG), which means slightly smaller sprites.

But the idea all agree is to keep the realistic sprites, coz there is already a promising "cartoonish" fighting game coming soon!

And MK wouldn't be MK with super deformed sprites!!!

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

Great music port Der Luchs! Just need "test your might" sample :D

Well what the lynx version could benefit is better music, zoomed sprites (not needed for fighters but at least for the "Finish him")

That will be possible, and a voice sample for "Finish him" too. I had the chance to hear a glass clear voice sample in obschan's yet-to-be-released surprise. ;)

I like the idea of zooming in for the Fatality; we can have big sprites for that, possibly when the enemy is beaten the RAM could be emptied from all the stuff needed for the fight, a sample played and the screen transitioned to the big sprite version...

but right now i am more interested on the Karate fighting game thats in the works and the other more modern one that 108 Stars has been mentioning. I would like to know if that more modern one is planned to have "realistic" sized sprites of go to the super deformed look that works so well on the Neo Geo Pocket fighting games.

Actually I am not entirely sure yet, but I believe I will make them realistic. In a way that may be easier to do for me because arms and legs are not shrunken, so it's easier to animate attacks that have a bit of reach. But I'm not sure yet. :)

• Like 1

Game Gear(Gameboy version too I believe) version of MK and MK2 use 1 opponent as tile, and the other sprites due to it sprite limitation, which is why the game is choppy.

Are the Lynx sprite capabilities considerably better than the GGs, so that we could see a considerable improvement on the choppy gameplay?. Its already been mentioned that the extra ram on the Lynx compared to the GG is gonna make the game a bit smoother, but also the extra sprite power is gonna help in that regard too, right?.

So, more ram overall, using smaller sprites so that the usage of said ram can be further optimized, and more sprite power...seems like this project could end up playing way better than the GG and GB ports.

Der Luchs, you music is awesome!

• Like 1

So, more ram overall, using smaller sprites so that the usage of said ram can be further optimized, and more sprite power...seems like this project could end up playing way better than the GG and GB ports.

What I think would be really cool, and I don't know if that's possible, but if we could manage to get all the frames of animation from the SNES on the Lynx thanks to the additional RAM and smaller sprites this should be not choppy at all. It all depends on being able to squeeze two characters with all animation and some space for sound left in the RAM.

• Like 1