IGNORED

My quest to beat Castlevania

Passwords should negate the need for save states in this game. Just grab the password every time you get the chance. Save states are great, but tackling the levels as a whole can sometimes be more helpful than breaking it down to smaller segments.

But you're moving along well! Just stay out of that sunken city!!!

The game is a bitch but it's also to be studied. 1 was condensed- since I can play through the whole thing I see that now. 3 is much larger in scope and you get ground down gradually. I'm making progress, though cautiously and with save states.

Yes, it's larger in scope. You can still focus on a single path though and tackle it like it's the first game. Then, branch out when you can finish it one way.

In 3, I'm able to pass the red slam scroll tower pretty easily, I just have to take care not to bump into the knights that spawn. I'm taking hits on the bone pillars (timing, timing, timing) and especially those awful gargoyles who bob in an asymmetrical pattern. I made it to Frank who I figured out was cake but was too depleted by then to beat him- I only had one hit left. I'll get it down.

The issue was the save states. I never got the hang of it, so I'm using them sparingly. I am concentrating solely on Sypha's path now. I can get through the ghost ship with barely taking a hit and the red tower is a pain in the butt but no major problem. The difficulty is a steady climb after that. Stan suggested starting from scratch after each game over and that has helped build experience. It's a wonderful game, but hard as nails and a Belmont is still a Belmont....

Topten, not to sound too spammy, but if you are around tomorrow night (3/30), I will be doing a live stream of Castlevania III on YouTube. I plan on running all routes with and finishing the game with each character. So, if you need to see some tips live on the spot, feel free to tune in. Starts at 9PM EST (link is here). I will probably go until just after midnight, maybe later.

Castlevania's 30th birthday is on May 1. I know that there was a Japanese release and some computer ports but I'd say 1987 was the beginning for all intents and purposes. I hope you guys do something special!

Yeah, I believe it was '86 in Japan, so technically the anniversary would have been last year. However, you are right that it was '87 for North America.

30 or 31, who cares? Every year is a good year to celebrate Castlevania. :D

Topten, not to sound too spammy, but if you are around tomorrow night (3/30), I will be doing a live stream of Castlevania III on YouTube. I plan on running all routes with and finishing the game with each character. So, if you need to see some tips live on the spot, feel free to tune in. Starts at 9PM EST (link is here). I will probably go until just after midnight, maybe later.

Yeah, I believe it was '86 in Japan, so technically the anniversary would have been last year. However, you are right that it was '87 for North America.

30 or 31, who cares? Every year is a good year to celebrate Castlevania. :D

Downloading the app now bro

• Like 1

Downloading the app now bro

Dude, it was awesome having you live on the spot! Hope you enjoyed it.

(On a side note, after you left I ended up completing the game a couple of more times... and then people talked me into doing Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, and Adventure Island II afterwards! Nine hours later... Haha).

Nice. I had taken a sleeping pill and was very loopy. I wanted to stay awake to see how you tackled that awful tower and the doppelgänger. So you were up all night? Wow!!!!

A couple of random questions for you, Stan and the gentleman who does the Gaiden runs (can't recall his name):

What do you guys think of Kid Icarus? I played it yesterday and it reminded me of an old DOS game. Seems hard.

Also, opinion of Castlevania Rebirth? Seems awesome!

And Austin, why do you dislike Harmony of Dissonance?

Kid Icarus I really enjoy. It can be hard as nails and unforgiving, but I really like the quirkiness of the game play. For me at least, there is a HUGE learning curve in figuring out exactly how to be successful, but still lots of fun. Kid Icarus II for the Game Boy is even better.

If you are talking about the WiiWare game, Rebirth, I thought it was pretty good, but my Wii bricked before I could get too far into it. It was better than Castlevania Adventure, which it was based on.

And yeah, Austin, what the hell? HoD is pretty solid. I mean, its SotN again, but it's fun.