IGNORED

My quest to beat Castlevania

Austin, if you don't have time, I can do one tomorrow evening.

I just finished playing it and recording the footage. Wasn't satisfied with my first two runs, so I did a third and finished it with only dying once or twice. From there, I went ahead and played through the second loop (dying much, much more), but still managed to finish it again. From there on the third loop, I was able to make it to the cavern, then I got a game over. I didn't even expect to finish the second loop (the last time I tried, I only made it halfway through it), let alone get anywhere on the third.. My head hurts now. :lol:

I just need to slap the commentary on the portion of the first run, I hope to be able to do that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Castlevania is painful to play on a tiny monitor.

Try it using an emulator on a big screen. It will be much easier. I think fceux has the most accurate emulation.

I actually like Classic NES Castlevania on GBA. The only trouble I've even had with the small screen was figuring out the maps on Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow.

@Stan and Austin: I will be cool to look at both of your respective videos, I wonder if you guys approach the game differently.

Edited by toptenmaterial

Wow, you took down Frank with the stupid knife. I bow to you sir. Very impressive. Great video!

You and I play very similarly, however I keep the holy water for most of the game. I am working on a much shorter video that illustrates how I play the two tricky spots topten is talking about.

I have the level 3 stuff done, but it was getting late and I did not complete the level 4 stuff, but I will try to get it finished tonight.

All right, it's ready to go. It was a pretty large file so it may be a while before it's fully processed on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/Jn0yr7pLFk8

(Hm, weird.. YouTube has changed it's style of links)

Thank you very much Austin, I'm going to check this out in depth over the weekend. And thank you too Stan.

I made it to Drac in PS1 Castlevania Chronicles playing the original mode, but I've never beating him. I've even read FAQs and I still can't do it. Maybe I'll come back to the game when I retire... good luck on your quest, though!

Castlevanias I have beaten: SotN, HoD, AoS, DoS, Dracula X Chronicles on PSP, and Simon's Quest with the code but that doesn't really count. I have enjoyed the MetroidVania style of exploration in the later games, there is something about the exploration that is very addicting. That being said, the level of difficulty between them and the old school ones, such as the first one which I have never beaten, is like night and day.

Edited by toptenmaterial

video complete. Uploading to youtube now. Sorry for the lack of commentary, but I sound like a moron talking on tape. I will provide written commentary and you can hear me pressing the buttons on the controller pretty loudly (I am a beast!), plus I think my wife was drunk while filming this so it will be as entertaining as it is educational.

Sweet I'm gonna check out both of these vids on the train tomorrow if I don't end up passing out like I usually do :)

@Stan: I can't wait to see your video. I can't stand to here a recording of my own voice either, it's so embarrassing! Do I REALLY sound like that?!? :rolling:

Edited by toptenmaterial

Ok, Here are the links to the two videos.

Again, I apologize for the crudity of the film quality, this was taken with a camera and my wife perhaps intoxicated, so the whole thing is slanty. You do get a little commentary at the end of the first video when I accidentally trade the holy water for the knife. Also, toward the end of the second video it sounds like I am beating the living hell out of the controller when I go up against Frank. Hilarious.

In any event, this is the first video showing how I get to the mummy level. One bird gives me a bit of trouble, but it is an easy recover. The toughest spot near the mummy crypt, is handled with just a bit of timing to keep the medusa heads going over Simon and staying far enough away from the Bone Pillar to take it, and its shots out. The section, like so much of this game, is rhythm.

The second video is everything from the Flea Man forest to Frank. For whatever reason my game has been bringing a lot of flea men from behind, so that puts me in a tight spot twice, but with a little holy water, it can be overcome. The rest is just pressing forward and swatting the flea men as they drop just like Austin did (much more adeptly, I might add). I used to swat at the birds, but that can slow you down and break the rhythm so unless you are daring, you should let them pass. One of the worst things that can happen is that the flea men are very prone to dropping axes and you can walk right over one if you aren't paying attention. Since I am an adherent to the holy water, this is a true nightmare. You can see a flea man drop an axe right behind me at the beginning of this video. The best part is that you don't have to fight the white dragon at the door, just walk right under him.

In the dungeon, my strategy for the white dragons is as described previously, dump holy water where their chin touches the ground, pour it on and they go down fast. They usually drop doublers and triplers and lots of hearts. There is a pot roast in the block behind the first white dragon. Then with Frank, I just stand on the ledge closest to him at eye level and pour on the holy water, whipping the flea man to keep him at bay. Gravy.

I hope these have been as informative as they have been entertaining. This was a lot of fun to do, so if you get stuck on the next couple of levels, I'd be happy to liquor up the wife and do it all again!

:spidey:

Good stuff Stan, I liked how you handled the pile-up of flea men. Again Austin, I have to check yours out at length, very interesting stuff so far, thanks!

I'm tempted to do a "walk-throughs requested" thread.

Castlevania 3? Holy shit that's a tough one! I used to play it emulated on the PSP, I always liked NES emulation on it. Anyway I got to the bosses that pop out of the two coffins and that was it for me. I will say that game has excellent music, the famicom version especially.

Edited by toptenmaterial

Castlevania 3 has harder stages then Castlevania, but the difficulty is not as even. Where as in the original game it started easy and steadily cranked up the difficulty, you could get some easy stages late in the game in Castlevania 3 -- depending on what path you went through.

Plus the game has a password feature, which inheritly makes it easier.

The original game though, I played and beat that back when it came out (and I was 11 at the time). It's challenging, sure, but like most platform games you just need to learn the patterns.

Austin,

I'd love to hear your critique! Again, I don't do the whole game, just the indicated trouble spots.

I do love me some Castlevania III!

Haha.. You weren't kidding man, you were really pounding away on that controller. I also like to part where you accidentally grab the dagger before the mummies, hehe. I heard something in the background after that, haha. :D

That was also crazy how all of the hunchbacks/birds kept coming from the back. It was like a swarm of them all at once. That may have been because of pushing forward too quickly though (maybe). I think this part is easier if you take your time with it and inch your way through it, killing each as they drop. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Made a breakthrough of sorts on the original Castlevania, and beat the mummies without losing a single life on the first three worlds, and only took two hits on world three. The bone pillars are easy now; watch them blink, whip the two bullets, then holy water and whip four times. On the mummy fight, I picked up the knife by mistake, but I had already gotten 'em good with the holy water, so I just stayed on the upper left platform and beat the hell out of them with the whip. On the following underground platform level I got decimated, I just couldn't get the timing right. I'll try again tonight.

• Like 1

On the following underground platform level I got decimated, I just couldn't get the timing right. I'll try again tonight.

The stop watch is your best friend here, especially if you are having trouble with the segment.

Anyways, glad to see you are making it farther! :)

Yeah, that timing in the flooded cavern is brutal without the clock. Get it and use it to stop the bats. Trade it for the holy water, because the timing is much more manageable after that point.

I know Austin used it the whole way through, but I am dedicated to that holy water vs. Frank.