Photo

5200 , no sound

18 replies to this topic

#1 peedenmark7 OFFLINE  

peedenmark7

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts

Posted Sun Apr 3, 2011 6:20 PM

Picked up another 2 port this past week . picture and game play are fine, but I get no sound other than static like the tv is on the wrong channel,

called best elec, and they said it was pokey chip or something in the sound section... kind of hate to buy a new mother board, but I'd guess if I were to buy all the parts to fix or have someone do it, it would cost me the $35 and then some.
your thoughts ?

#2 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,204 posts

Posted Sun Apr 3, 2011 6:59 PM

Picked up another 2 port this past week . picture and game play are fine, but I get no sound other than static like the tv is on the wrong channel,

called best elec, and they said it was pokey chip or something in the sound section... kind of hate to buy a new mother board, but I'd guess if I were to buy all the parts to fix or have someone do it, it would cost me the $35 and then some.
your thoughts ?

Can you open it up and see if the Pokey is socketed?

Allan

#3 peedenmark7 OFFLINE  

peedenmark7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 838 posts

Posted Sun Apr 3, 2011 7:30 PM

your thoughts ?

Can you open it up and see if the Pokey is socketed?

Allan

where am i looking ? have it open as we speak

#4 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,639 posts
  • 5200 OE HSC Mod

Posted Sun Apr 3, 2011 8:20 PM

I'd check or replace the 2 silver polystyrene caps. They're a common failure item and extremely cheap. You can see them in the lower left of this pic from my parts system.

Attached Thumbnails

• game repairs 109.jpg

#5 peedenmark7 OFFLINE  

peedenmark7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 838 posts

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011 7:20 AM

this is weird... took the 2 port apart last night and removed the RF shield, and I see that there is/was a loose chip floating around inside the console. not under the shield, just loose in the console casing.

first picture shows location where it was found resting upper left hand corner

lower shows the chip its self.

what is this chip ? I see no open spot for it. there is a silver foil Atari service sticker on the bottom of the case.may have already been in for service?

replaced part that never was removed ? could this have been grounding something out? causing the noise?

made no difference with the case apart and that out of the system. still have the same white noise static

Attached Thumbnails

• MVC-076S.JPG

Edited by peedenmark7, Mon Apr 4, 2011 7:28 AM.

#6 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,204 posts

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011 9:33 AM

this is weird... took the 2 port apart last night and removed the RF shield, and I see that there is/was a loose chip floating around inside the console. not under the shield, just loose in the console casing.

first picture shows location where it was found resting upper left hand corner

lower shows the chip its self.

what is this chip ? I see no open spot for it. there is a silver foil Atari service sticker on the bottom of the case.may have already been in for service?

replaced part that never was removed ? could this have been grounding something out? causing the noise?

made no difference with the case apart and that out of the system. still have the same white noise static

That's the 6502.

Allan

#7 phuzzed OFFLINE  

phuzzed

Dragonstomper

• 615 posts

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011 7:00 PM

Check the channel 2-3 switch as well. I had a system that had a switch that was all jacked up. I doubt that is your issue, as you are getting good video though.

#8 peedenmark7 OFFLINE  

peedenmark7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 838 posts

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011 8:11 PM

switch works .

nobody has confirmed which is the pokey chip.

I assume by part number, it is the lower left hand large chip in the center of the board ?

Allan, what does the 6502 do? weird it was laying in the console ?

#9 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,204 posts

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011 8:36 PM

switch works .

nobody has confirmed which is the pokey chip.

I assume by part number, it is the lower left hand large chip in the center of the board ?

Allan, what does the 6502 do? weird it was laying in the console ?

It's the main microprocessor.

The Pokey is one of the four big chips. It's the one on the lower left hand side.

Allan

#10 peedenmark7 OFFLINE  

peedenmark7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 838 posts

Posted Mon Apr 4, 2011 8:41 PM

Allan,
I kinda figured pokey was the lower left . This thing must have been in for service at some point if parts were laying inside of it and an Atari service decal is on the bottom..

This one may be a good candidate for the vid mod . I've been itching to see what difference it makes in picture quality and I have a bunch of other units I'd never mod, so ...

#11 peedenmark7 OFFLINE  

peedenmark7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 838 posts

Posted Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 PM

I'd check or replace the 2 silver polystyrene caps. They're a common failure item and extremely cheap. You can see them in the lower left of this pic from my parts system.

Zylon,

thanks for your help on the sound issue !

I ended up buying a pokey and the [2] 820pU mylar sounds caps... It was the caps !
sounds great now !

#12 0078265317 OFFLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,152 posts

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:36 PM

Zylon,

I ended up buying a pokey and the [2] 820pU mylar sounds caps... It was the caps !
sounds great now !

Glad to hear it. I wish I was that electronics savy.

#13 jc78_2005 OFFLINE  

jc78_2005

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts

Posted Sun May 1, 2011 6:42 PM

Zylon,

sounds great now !

i have the same issue, may i ask where you bought the caps?

#14 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,639 posts
  • 5200 OE HSC Mod

Posted Sun May 1, 2011 8:49 PM

Zylon,

sounds great now !

i have the same issue, may i ask where you bought the caps?

Best electronics has them as well as some other electronics supply places. I also have a jar of used ones. They're really cheap.

#15 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,639 posts
  • 5200 OE HSC Mod

Posted Sun May 1, 2011 8:55 PM

Zylon,

sounds great now !

Good! I'd forgotten to check back in on this thread. Those caps are used in 2600s, 5200s, 7800s and more. Always replace in pairs. The weakest one goes first, and the other follows quickly.

#16 jc78_2005 OFFLINE  

jc78_2005

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts

Posted Sun May 1, 2011 10:28 PM

Zylon,

sounds great now !

Good! I'd forgotten to check back in on this thread. Those caps are used in 2600s, 5200s, 7800s and more. Always replace in pairs. The weakest one goes first, and the other follows quickly.

great! so i can take a few from a dead 7800 i have, nice. great to knwo guys, i ask about this issue some eyars ago here, and none seemed to have an answer, now that old closet sitting 5200 will be back in service !

#17 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,639 posts
  • 5200 OE HSC Mod

Posted Mon May 2, 2011 8:33 PM

I think they cost a whole quarter new. Good luck anyway. :)

#18 jc78_2005 OFFLINE  

jc78_2005

Moonsweeper

• 496 posts

Posted Mon May 2, 2011 10:43 PM

I think they cost a whole quarter new. Good luck anyway. :)

well yeah lol, if the transplant doest work, clearly i will order new. just happen to have a donor laying around to try, so no wait for shipping.

#19 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

The Kraken

• 18,201 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 PM

Nero posting here for sure but I wanted to chime in to let everyone know that silver mica caps are a perfect replacment for these out of print polystyrene caps. The silver mica doesn't emit or receive a single drop of interference either. Just did a recap with them today and I'm very happy with the results.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users