IGNORED

New Commodore Branded Computers

Interesting project. I can't quite imagine using this as a PC, since it's not an especially convenient form factor, and people are bound to be disappointed that they'll be getting a generic PC in a C64-looking case (which I've always thought was a butt-ugly case anyway).

If I were in charge of this project, I'd offer it in two configurations: the "vanilla-PC-in-a-C64-case" that they have now, and a genuine recreation of the C64 using the integrated chipset that Jeri Ellsworth designed for the C64 Direct-to-TV controller. That would require a new board, but it should be dirt-cheap to produce in quantity. It would also let them recoup some of their plastic tooling costs, since they could re-use the same case. They could even market the board as a separate product (for people who would be interested in mounting it in a MiniITX case, for example).

• Like 1

and a genuine recreation of the C64 using the integrated chipset that Jeri Ellsworth designed for the C64 Direct-to-TV controller. That would require a new board, but it should be dirt-cheap to produce in quantity.

Yes. This would be amazing. Especially if they attached joystick ports so it would be ready to go. BEST would be if they could integrate a cartridge port also, but I believe that would require a design change on the DTV board. Then we could use 1541-Ultimate-II with it.

I sure hope this happens, at a reasonable price.

I will admit I wish them the best of luck. If they would have had these and the VIC Pro 2 years ago when I started going to college I would have gotten that instead. It would have been 200 or more dollars cheaper then my laptop and that is the high end model. Even the mid range model has a better CPU them my laptop and I do not carry it around as much as I thought, stays in my room most of the time. Yes it might not be commodore hardware, but the company is trying to give people the best PC bang for there buck while trying to bring the commodore design of computers back, Can't wait to see what the Amiga models have, Trying to upgrade a Dell Dimension 2400 while keeping the case is getting just a bit hard.

What a waste of time..and a generic pc to boot. quite sad really.

I think you're in denial. Next week you're going to order one, aren't you? :) :)

I would if I could afford one, not sure what to get either the Commodore 64 with everything or the Vic Plus with everything. I like the commodore 64 for having the better Graphics capability but the Vic Plus had such a better CPU, a quad core. Or maybe wait and see if they release the Vic Plus and what it comes with. I would love it if it had the same CPU or at least the Dual core but with the Graphics from the 64 but for a lower price, I do not mind having a smaller hard-drive, just like the look better,plus love where the built in mouse is going to be, having it on the right side instead of the middle seems to make more sense. Hop it has a 4GB ram option. Plus it sounds like with Disney help they are hoping to start getting the models(just the standard options for now)in retail outlets across North America and Europe in the coming months. Hopefully stores like game stop or something(not Wal-Mart). Or maybe I will wait to see what is in store for there Amiga line coming here soon.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

but the company is trying to give people the best PC bang for there buck while trying to bring the commodore design of computers back,

What? The first part of that isn't true at all (well, they may be trying, I don't know, but they're not succeeding), and the second part of that is superficially at best.

Not trying to discourage anyone else from buying one if it's right for them, I just don't have any interest in them and see only a limited market for these machines. Bang for the buck they definitely are not.

Edited by Mirage

If they sold just the empty case and keyboard (assuming standard parts fit in there) so you could build your own, it would be more interesting. But then they'd have given up their edge - the case and keyboard is pretty much all they have to offer, since everything else is readily available.

If they sold just the empty case and keyboard (assuming standard parts fit in there) so you could build your own, it would be more interesting. But then they'd have given up their edge - the case and keyboard is pretty much all they have to offer, since everything else is readily available.

Er, they do.. it's $250.

but the company is trying to give people the best PC bang for there buck while trying to bring the commodore design of computers back,

What? The first part of that isn't true at all (well, they may be trying, I don't know, but they're not succeeding), and the second part of that is superficially at best.

Not trying to discourage anyone else from buying one if it's right for them, I just don't have any interest in them and see only a limited market for these machines. Bang for the buck they definitely are not.

Actually once you look up the prices for parts the Vic-Pro's CPU alone is 350 dollars, the 4GB or memory is probably about 50-100 dollars depending on what speed you get, then there is the WiFi and hard-drive, so the 1200 dollar price is not that far off actually.

Actually once you look up the prices for parts the Vic-Pro's CPU alone is 350 dollars, the 4GB or memory is probably about 50-100 dollars depending on what speed you get, then there is the WiFi and hard-drive, so the 1200 dollar price is not that far off actually.

You need to compare it to comparably-specced completes, not building one from parts. But either way, that thing can be built to those specs (or better) for cheaper. Granted, not in the "keyboard case" thing, but... why?

But at any rate, I was really referring to the C64x.

Edited by Mirage

You're dreaming. Or shopping in the wrong places LOL. Plus, you need to compare it to comparably-specced completes, not building one from parts. But either way, that thing can be built to those specs (or better) for FAR cheaper.

The Intel Core 2 Quad CPU(Q9650, 3.0GHz, 12MB, 1333MHz FSB) at new egg.com is 339 dollars. 4GB or ram is 64.99,DVD drive would be 30.Hard drive would be about 160. That would be about 570 not including power supply, wifi, fans, motherboard and of course the case. Plus building one from parts is always cheaper then buying a complete one from a company because you do not have to pay for it being built. I am not saying it is a steal but it is not like they are ripping people off either.

Now the C64X, that price is not to far off either. A atom 330 board is 150 dollars. Same price for memory, hard-drive the only difference is that is comes with a Blue-ray drive instead which is about 120. It is of course not for everyone, but has still applied to some.

Edited by ATARI7800fan

Plus building one from parts is always cheaper then buying a complete one from a company because you do not have to pay for it being built.

This is absolutely not true. Sometimes maybe, but not always. It used to be true, but hasn't been true, generally speaking, for quite some time (years). Of course, when you build it yourself, you have more control over individual components, but that's beside the point here.

Buy one if you want. Depending on your shopping habits, it may or may not be a good value, but in my opinion and that of many others, it's just not very appealing. Of course, it will appeal to some people, most any product will. Will this catch on though? I sincerely doubt it. We'll see.

power supply, wifi, fans, motherboard and of course the case

Well, you've got $629 to work with left, that should go a LONG way to getting those parts (and more)!! And that's building it custom. Buy a reasonably comparable system complete, albeit not necessarily in the same format (but you go go similar) for even less than all that. Large dealers of complete machines (like Dell, and so on) get their parts for far less by buying in bulk than you do buying just one through a retailer. That's why it's been true for years, that so long as you're willing to accept the build choices they make available, generally, it's cheaper to buy a complete system.

But really, the point is, you want the thing, buy it. End of story.

Edited by Mirage

Furthermore, I thought what Rob O'Hara had to say (in part) was interesting:

"Commodore USA already sells two computers, the VIC-Pro and the VIC-Slim (VIC being the Commodore line of computers before they released the C64). Neither of these machines look anything like an old VIC-20 computer. In fact, Commodore USA doesn’t even build these machines; they buy off-the-shelf computers, slap their logo on them, and re-sell them. If you don’t see the silliness in this, it would be as if Ford purchased the rights to the Lamborghini name, slapped a new logo on a Ford Fiesta, and began selling them as the new Econo-Lamborghini. Ridiculous.

At least Commodore USA’s new “Commodore 64″ is a new product. It’s biggest selling point is that it actually looks like a vintage Commodore 64. The outside of the machine, from the case to the keys, looks very much like an original Commodore 64. Under the hood, the guts have been updated with an Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz Dual Core CPU (all models share the same CPU). Commodore USA is offering their new Commodore 64x in four different configurations. The C64x Basic, which sells for $595, gets you the computer with 2Gb of RAM and a 160Gb Hard Drive. For another $100 you get the C64x, which adds WiFi, a DVD drive, and a 250Gb Hard Drive. Another $100 gets you the C64x Deluxe model, which bumps the machine up to 4Gb of RAM and a 500Gb drive. The C64x Ultimate (we’re up to $895 now) swaps the DVD-Drive for a BluRay one and gets you a 1Tb drive.

Finally, for those of you wishing to build your own, Commodore USA will be selling empty cases for $250.

And therein lies the problem. Last year, for a few dollars more than the price of one of those empty cases, I bought a computer with a ton more processing power than even the top of the line Commodore 64x. For around $400 last year I bought a refurbished Acer Aspire desktop with a a quad-core processor, 6 Gigs of RAM, and a 1Tb drive.

...The Commodore 64x, from what I see, is way, way overpriced. The original Commodore 64 was a low cost computer that introduced many of the world’s current IT departments to the wonders of home computers three decades ago. I don’t see the Commodore 64x appealing to that demographic today.

I feel like, if anybody, I should be the guy standing in line to buy one of these … but $895 is an expensive trip down retro-lane."

Quoted from: http://www.robohara.com/

Edited by Mirage

• 2 months later...

Looks like they have started to ship out they system's and almost sold out on the first batch. Here is a video of there new headquarters/ first shop.

I personally wish them good luck, yes some might say it is not a real commodore or Amiga because the hardware they are using is not related to the original. That is not possible though, what they stood for is still possible though. Having a all in one computer that is compact for a good price that still offers good performance.

Also there is a interview on the front page with there CTO, Leo Nigro, covering his personal experience with Commodore computers and the entire Commodore USA story, from inception to explosion! Future products are discussed including Commodore OS.

Despite the technological differences between the original C=64 and the new one, the physical design aesthetics of the new machine are so popular that sales of the new machine have soared; the first production run of 20,000 units sold out quickly, and began shipping on June 24, 2011.[24] At the time of this writing (June 28, 2011) no further sales figures have been released by the company, although it is rumored that over 140,000 units have been ordered.[25]

Edited by ATARI7800fan

The parts to build a computer to the exact specs (and form factor) of the "C64x Basic" are $265* without case or keyboard right now on newegg, just to keep "good price" in perspective. The "C64x Basic" is $595. And again, the ergonomics of that breadbin are horrid, so a built computer would be much better from that perspective. The packaging and presentation sure is pretty though! I've gotta give them that!

* And I'll bet you could get a NetBook to those specs (with a screen!) for even less than the total of a machine built up this way.

Edited by Mirage
  • Like 1