IGNORED

Adventure II for Atari 8-Bit Computers?

Arjak

I do not have an Atari 5200, and I am not planning on getting one. I am considering buying an XEGS at the moment, though. The problem is, I really, REALLY want to play Adventure II! Would it be possible to make a port of it to Atari's 8-Bit Computers?

If I buy the XEGS, and if a port of Adventure II was made that was compatible with it, I'd buy that port in a heartbeat! Is there any hope for me? :|

I do not have an Atari 5200, and I am not planning on getting one. I am considering buying an XEGS at the moment, though. The problem is, I really, REALLY want to play Adventure II! Would it be possible to make a port of it to Atari's 8-Bit Computers?

If I buy the XEGS, and if a port of Adventure II was made that was compatible with it, I'd buy that port in a heartbeat! Is there any hope for me? :|

This has been a longstanding request. Cafeman started on it but lost the homebrewing bug. It boiled down - if I remember right - to having to rework the banks because a) Adventure II is packed; and b) the 5200 and A8 handle memory a bit differently.

In truth, I think he's content with it being 5200 exclusive.

In truth, I think he's content with it being 5200 exclusive.

It's days of 5200 exclusivity are numbered. ;)

I hope that's true. I'd love for him to port his other game as well. But I'd be really excited to see Adventure 2 on the 8-bits.

Somebody should start a poll, to gauge (and demonstrate) interest, or query for who'd place a pre-order, or maybe a poll then a pre-order? I'm not qualified, but perhaps a superior intellect may so endeavor.

I remember the author saying that he planned on porting it to the 8-bit line. If my memory serves correct, he originally said he was just worn out by the drama of dealing with Infogrames (Atari), but was not completely closed off to the idea of porting it at some future time. Then, I think it's been within the past year, I'm sure he posted that he did indeed desire to port it.

The site still references an A8 version but it's been years now that it's been bantied around.

Here's a thread going on four years:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/100736-adventure-ii-cartridge-plans/

Then a thread where it seems like it's toast!

http://www.atariage....enture-ii-demo/\\

Then this teaser! Maybe there is hope! :-)

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2122185

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

I keep hearing this voice from my XE system ... "if you build it, they will come".

Adventure II XE is now 64K (up from 32K on 5200), the bank switching is done (Thanks to Tp392), and is playable. But it isn't ready, because it isn't a straight port. If you all keep kindly reminding me, it will motivate me to keep at it in my free time. I wasn't going to discuss this until I had a playable demo which showed some of the new stuff, but the cat's out of the bag now.

• Like 6

Yes! It has been ported and is functional on both my 800XL and 400! Woo Hoo!

I've been bursting to say that since I finished the port last year. :grin:

Thanks for letting me help out Ron. And please let me know if you need help with anything else. I'm anxiously awaiting the day I can purchase this from the AA store.

Perry

• Like 4

I keep hearing this voice from my XE system ... "if you build it, they will come".

Adventure II XE is now 64K (up from 32K on 5200), the bank switching is done (Thanks to Tp392), and is playable. But it isn't ready, because it isn't a straight port. If you all keep kindly reminding me, it will motivate me to keep at it in my free time. I wasn't going to discuss this until I had a playable demo which showed some of the new stuff, but the cat's out of the bag now.

Wow! I think this might even overshadow my excitement for the 7800 XM! Exciting stuff!

Thanks for trucking ahead and even doing more for A8. I was disappointed when it looked like it wasn't going to make the jump, but didn't want to bug as Homebrew is done for the fun of the craft not out of obligation or requirement.

The will come! This news is as good as ANY of the other (significant) A8 developments! YEAAAAAAAAA!

Are there plans to bring Koffi to A8 - http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=137

The disk version has been available for years. Ported by Dennis Debro. You can find it in the A8 forums if you search.

Do you mean as a cartridge?

I was thinking the same thing. Would you consider putting Koffi out there as a cartridge for the 8-bit computers as well? Both your games are excellent and would be a lot of fun to have for the computers.

Yes! It has been ported and is functional on both my 800XL and 400! Woo Hoo!

I've been bursting to say that since I finished the port last year. :grin:

Thanks for letting me help out Ron. And please let me know if you need help with anything else. I'm anxiously awaiting the day I can purchase this from the AA store.

Perry

Thought I should mention that my 400 has 48k of RAM. This port requires at least 32K so it won't work on a 16K 400.

Perry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for an update. The XE version is progressing nicely. I plan on working on it all of July and into August, but I don't expect it to drag on much farther than that. I hope! DOH! I missed that goal!

I don't want to significantly change the way Adventure II plays for the XE version. I'm not going to modify the mazes in a significant way (but there are some changes that 5200 players will definitely notice) because I was always very happy with the mazes that we designed. I don't want to mess with the game's timing and introduce new bugs. What I'm trying to do with the XE version is to add some extra gravy and to mix & match things a bit more to add variety and some surprises, and to add things I wanted to for the 5200 version but couldn't, due to running out of ROM space.

I'd like to post a demo sometime soon, perhaps within a week. I can't really show the stuff I've added so far in a screenshot. I'll let the demo speak for itself when I feel its ready.

In the meantime, I'll share the new "game win" screen I'm working on. It is still a work-in-progress. I always wanted some stats but never got that into the 5200 version. For the XE version, not only will you get a ranking and the stats to help explain it, but it also shows what icon you used, in case you use an alternate one.

post-37-0-67035500-1310005655_thumb.png

Edited by Cafeman
  • Like 8