Photo

ColecoVision Smurf Rescue Super Game

14 replies to this topic

#1 ColecoFan1981 OFFLINE  

ColecoFan1981

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 PM

Is anyone here still planning to do the stillborn Super Game/Adam DDP version of Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle? You know, OpcodeGames, Pixelboy...?

If so, here's what I'd like to see in it:
*When you begin gameplay, the main Smurfs theme is heard, followed by "Simple Gifts" for the outside BGM (a la the Atari 2600 version) and Beethoven's "Symphony #6" for the cave and castle BGM.
*After losing your last Smurf, the main Smurfs theme song is again heard (a la the Atari 2600 version).
*All the scenes as described for this special version, such as snow-covered mountains - and other graphical elements and all that sort of stuff described in issue #2 of ColecoVision Experience.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981, Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:54 PM.

#2 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 5,578 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:14 PM

Is anyone here still planning to do the stillborn Super Game/Adam DDP version of Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle? You know, OpcodeGames, Pixelboy...?

To be honest, Super Smurf Rescue is a project I considered doing at some point in the future. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that Coleco's waffer carts could contain games of up to 64K. Since my Activision PCB can support 64K games, I figured I could do my own rendition of the game, which would (incidently) include all the items on your wish list. However, I'm not sure I want to commit to that kind of project anymore.

The first reason is that I'll have enough work on my plate for the next year or so, with the release of all the SG-1000 and MSX ports that I announced recently.

Secondly, youki did such a great job on Smurf Challenge that doing Super Smurf Rescue would almost seem like a step backward, both in terms of graphics and gameplay.

I wouldn't mind participating in a team effort, in which I would contribute in the graphics, game design, manufacturing and also sales departments, but I wouldn't do a project like this from A to Z all by myself. All we'd really need is a savy homebrew programmer who would be willing to program the game (and figure out how to take advantage of my 64K PCB while he's at it). I wonder if bfg.gamepassion or RKGames would be interested... ;)

Edited by Pixelboy, Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 PM.

#3 Atari Joe OFFLINE  

Atari Joe

Stargunner

• 1,233 posts
  • I AM MATURING INTO A GENTLEMAN NOW

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 AM

If you guys make this I would definitaley buy it. Especially if it went with Eduardo's opcode super expansion module or whatever its gonna be for the colevovision. gonna get that for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#4 Atari Joe OFFLINE  

Atari Joe

Stargunner

• 1,233 posts
  • I AM MATURING INTO A GENTLEMAN NOW

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:01 AM

If you guys make this I would definitaley buy it. Especially if it went with Eduardo's opcode super expansion module or whatever its gonna be for the colevovision. gonna get that for sure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#5 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,658 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:14 AM

Secondly, youki did such a great job on Smurf Challenge that doing Super Smurf Rescue would almost seem like a step backward, both in terms of graphics and gameplay.

thanks! :) But i can do a better smurf game on colecovision! (Smurf challenge was not the one i planed initially. ;) )

#6 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 5,578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 AM

thanks! :) But i can do a better smurf game on colecovision! (Smurf challenge was not the one i planed initially. ;) )

I'll be looking forward to seing your future Smurf game, youki. :)

But back on topic, Super Smurf Rescue has always been a sort of holy grail of unreleased CV games, from a homebrewing perspective. If it ever becomes reality, I will raise my glass to the homebrewer! :D

#7 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,658 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 AM

I'll be looking forward to seing your future Smurf game, youki. :)

But back on topic, Super Smurf Rescue has always been a sort of holy grail of unreleased CV games, from a homebrewing perspective. If it ever becomes reality, I will raise my glass to the homebrewer! :D

There are some "stolen" picture of my other smurf game in Revival #46. ;)

Back to "Super smurf Rescue" i suppose Coleco's fan expect that the game would be as "planed" (i mean for instance graphically ). if an "homebrewer" made the game said "better than it would have been" , it won't be good, is that correct?

#8 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 5,578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 AM

Back to "Super smurf Rescue" i suppose Coleco's fan expect that the game would be as "planed" (i mean for instance graphically ). if an "homebrewer" made the game said "better than it would have been" , it won't be good, is that correct?

This is just my opinion, but I think the Smurf graphics/animation should remain the same (I just had a look at CV Smurfs Rescue on YouTube, and the sprite animation looks pretty good to me). Perhaps the jumping animation could be altered to match the way Smurfs generally jump around in the comic books (I believe you did this in Smurf Challenge). Aside from that, I think the background graphics could be spruced up a little bit, but not too much.

More importantly, I envision Super Smurf Rescue as an exploration game with branching paths: The player would need to explore different areas, and locate certain items (like a key to open the Smurfette's cage, or an apple to throw at Azrael's face, to open the way to Gargamel's lair). So it would be something like an extremely simplified Metroid-style game with some mild backtracking, and the items to collect would be scattered randomly throughout the game world, so no two consecutive game sessions would be the same. Areas to explore would include the forest, caves, inside tall trees (like in Opcode's Magical Tree, but inside the tree's trunk), ponds, prairies and mountain paths (like the promo screenshots), etc.

The nice thing here is that very little is known about that particular waffer super game. So while it could look a lot like the known screenshots, there would still be a lot of room to exercice our homebrewing creativity, and make a really fun game that takes Smurf Rescue to a higher level, which I think is really the point of making a super game in the first place. :)

#9 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,658 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 PM

More importantly, I envision Super Smurf Rescue as an exploration game with branching paths: The player would need to explore different areas, and locate certain items (like a key to open the Smurfette's cage, or an apple to throw at Azrael's face, to open the way to Gargamel's lair). So it would be something like an extremely simplified Metroid-style game with some mild backtracking, and the items to collect would be scattered randomly throughout the game world, so no two consecutive game sessions would be the same. Areas to explore would include the forest, caves, inside tall trees (like in Opcode's Magical Tree, but inside the tree's trunk), ponds, prairies and mountain paths (like the promo screenshots), etc.

It is exactly my second smurf game (except it does not looks like the promo screenshots) . ;)

#10 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 5,578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 PM

It is exactly my second smurf game (except it does not looks like the promo screenshots) . ;)

So, bottom line: Once you release your second Smurf game, there won't be any need to do Super Smurf Rescue anymore. :|

You're going to ruin our homebrew holy grail!!!! :x

:P

Edited by Pixelboy, Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:30 PM.

#11 ColecoFan1981 OFFLINE  

ColecoFan1981

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:49 PM

So, bottom line: Once you release your second Smurf game, there won't be any need to do Super Smurf Rescue anymore. :|

You're going to ruin our homebrew holy grail!!!! :x

:P

How about we get his Smurf homebrew title (whatever it is) out of the way first, then do Super Smurf Rescue, huh?

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981, Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:00 PM.

#12 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 5,578 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:49 PM

How about we get this "Smurf Challenge" homebrew thing out of the way first, then do Super Smurf Rescue, huh?

~Ben

Um... What? :? Smurf Challenge has already been released.

What we're talking about is youki's second (and unnamed) Smurf game. :)

Right now, I'm just wondering how he's going to cram a "simplified Metroid-style" game into 32K. ;)

#13 ColecoFan1981 OFFLINE  

ColecoFan1981

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:00 PM

How about we get this "Smurf Challenge" homebrew thing out of the way first, then do Super Smurf Rescue, huh?

~Ben

Um... What? :? Smurf Challenge has already been released.

What we're talking about is youki's second (and unnamed) Smurf game. :)

Right now, I'm just wondering how he's going to cram a "simplified Metroid-style" game into 32K. ;)

I've edited my last reply.

~Ben

#14 youki OFFLINE  

youki

Stargunner

• 1,658 posts

Posted Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 AM

I have never played Metroid. But what i can say if i release my "Smurf Adventure" (that's the temporary title) one day the number of screens in the game will be impressive. ;)

#15 ColecoFan1981 OFFLINE  

ColecoFan1981

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:03 AM

I may have a thought as to the music used for the snow mountain scenery: use Grieg's "Anitra's Dance" (from the Peer Gynt suite).

~Ben

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users