IGNORED

The Battlestation II Arcade Controller for NES/SNES/Genesis/SMS/Atari

I've seen them pop up on Amazon a few times before, so you may want to keep an eye out there.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I plan to celebrate by playing some video games, and will be finally putting mine to some use!

I think I'm going to have to buy a second Masterplay so that I can play Space Dungeon with this stick on my 5200.

Have to quote myself here because I just saved myself a hundred bucks. I totally forgot to check for an 8-bit conversion of Space Dungeon. If you have a Battlestation II and an Atarimax Maxflash for your 8-bit, do yourself a favor and download the conversion. Makes all the difference. Now I don't have to play Robotron on my 7800 anymore, either.

• Like 1

I hope these become available again. This is perfect :)

I have a Blaze joystick that I have been wanting to convert into a dual stick of some kind. I also have a spare Madkatz xbox 360 stick that I have been wanting to mod to work for the Atari.

Actually... I need to figure out what's wrong with my quamba... the Up doesn't work nearly as good as it should...

Ugh I have too many projects... lol.

I spent some quality time with mine yesterday for the first time.

I had some weirdness with it when using with my Odyssey 2 via the Wico Atari-to-Odyssey2 adapters to play Freedom Fighters (a dual joystick game). At first, until I tightened to cable connections to the joystick, the fire buttons were slightly unresponsive and also caused my ship to move a little. Once I tightened these connections, I could only fire when holding down two buttons at once, but I no longer had the movement problem.

I have not yet encountered anything like this when playing on other systems.

I picked up Robotron for the 7800 last night at Game Over. I'm looking forward to giving that one a try.

You and I might be the only people in the world with a Battlestation II and a Wico Odyssey adapter. I've never used my adapter, which is still NIB. I could test a little later. Do you need two adapters to play Freedom Fighters?

Also, did you play with the Commodore/Amiga switch on?

You and I might be the only people in the world with a Battlestation II and a Wico Odyssey adapter. I've never used my adapter, which is still NIB. I could test a little later. Do you need two adapters to play Freedom Fighters?

Also, did you play with the Commodore/Amiga switch on?

Cool. It would be interesting to hear if you experience something similar.

To use both joysticks at once, you will need 2 Wico adapters. The game can be played with 1 joystick, but each joystick does something different.

I tried with both settings on that switch, and didn't notice any difference.

Ok, I just played my first game of Robotron on the 7800 using this controller. (It was also my first time playing the 7800 version of this game at all.)

In intermediate mode, I reached the 43rd level and scored 1,334,425 points.

6053575E-2C91-46A0-8853-125493C9F23D_zps

Based on the other scores I've seen on this game, this appears to me to be a better-than-average performance, and I can't attribute it to my skill with this game, since it was my first time playing this version of it. (Playing this game without a dual joystick probably puts the player at an extreme disadvantage.)

I have to say that the controller made this game very fun. I can't imagine playing this game without some type of dual joystick controller. However, I can't say that it was super accurate. I'd love it if was as accurate as the microswitch-based joystick I usually use. For most of my game play, I'm probably going to stick with my favorite microswitch-based joystick controller, but I can see me spending much more time playing Robotron with this.

I'm kind of a joystick nut, so I tend to be really picky on which controllers I use with which games.

If anyone has one of these that is non-functional, I might be interested in buying it so I can try gutting it and replacing joysticks and the buttons with higher quality components.

You may just need to wear-in the joysticks on this thing. I mean, all things considered, it's probably been sitting in a warehouse for the last twenty years..

Hmm, interesting.. I'll have to make a point of doing that, then. :)

Ok, I just played my first game of Robotron on the 7800 using this controller. (It was also my first time playing the 7800 version of this game at all.)

In intermediate mode, I reached the 43rd level and scored 1,334,425 points.

6053575E-2C91-46A0-8853-125493C9F23D_zps

Based on the other scores I've seen on this game, this appears to me to be a better-than-average performance, and I can't attribute it to my skill with this game, since it was my first time playing this version of it. (Playing this game without a dual joystick probably puts the player at an extreme disadvantage.)

I have to say that the controller made this game very fun. I can't imagine playing this game without some type of dual joystick controller. However, I can't say that it was super accurate. I'd love it if was as accurate as the microswitch-based joystick I usually use. For most of my game play, I'm probably going to stick with my favorite microswitch-based joystick controller, but I can see me spending much more time playing Robotron with this.

I'm kind of a joystick nut, so I tend to be really picky on which controllers I use with which games.

If anyone has one of these that is non-functional, I might be interested in buying it so I can try gutting it and replacing joysticks and the buttons with higher quality components.

As you can see from my video earlier in this thread I changed the sticks to the happ style and it was pretty easy

• Like 1

Cool. It would be interesting to hear if you experience something similar.

To use both joysticks at once, you will need 2 Wico adapters. The game can be played with 1 joystick, but each joystick does something different.

I tried with both settings on that switch, and didn't notice any difference.

OK, I was finally able to pull out everything and test. There is definitely some weirdness when using the Wico adapter and the Battlestation. Because I have only one Wico adapter, I tried it on both ports, using a standard O2 joystick on the other. When the BS2 was on port 1, the ship could move fine, but firing was erratic. I sometimes needed 3 presses to fire one shot. When the BS2 was on port 2, there was a delay in moving the ship left to right and vice versa. The fire button didn't work at all. Everything works as it should with a CX-40.

I also tried Demon Attack. Firing was once again erratic.

KC Munchkin worked great, however, since no action button is needed.

I suspect that the BS2 doesn't send out a "standard" Atari 2600 signal. I can't get it to work right with my ColecoVision, which is a real shame.

Oh, well. Back to Space Dungeon on my 800 with new S-Video cable!

OK, I was finally able to pull out everything and test. There is definitely some weirdness when using the Wico adapter and the Battlestation. Because I have only one Wico adapter, I tried it on both ports, using a standard O2 joystick on the other. When the BS2 was on port 1, the ship could move fine, but firing was erratic. I sometimes needed 3 presses to fire one shot. When the BS2 was on port 2, there was a delay in moving the ship left to right and vice versa. The fire button didn't work at all. Everything works as it should with a CX-40.

I also tried Demon Attack. Firing was once again erratic.

KC Munchkin worked great, however, since no action button is needed.

I suspect that the BS2 doesn't send out a "standard" Atari 2600 signal. I can't get it to work right with my ColecoVision, which is a real shame.

Oh, well. Back to Space Dungeon on my 800 with new S-Video cable!

They may have "cheated" and knew that the Genesis works fine on the Atari. That's the only way I can think of that can have the Atari work fine, but the other consoles not work ok.

If that is the case, it should be super easy to add in an Atari dedicated cable. :)

Edited by keilbaca
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I should be clear that the BS2 never claimed it worked with the ColecoVision, and it does work fine with Atari, as advertised. I did end up jerry rigging a workaround for the ColecoVision, which I posted here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/197585-has-anyone-ever-used-a-battlestation-ii-with-the-colecovision/

Basically, I made sure that Pin 5 on the cable was disconnected so that no power could be sent back to the ColecoVision. Working great, so far. Only one-button functionality, of course.

I finally found a source for an adapter that allows you to use a SNES controller on a PS1/PS2:

http://raphnet-tech.com/products/snes2psx_adapter/index.php

This site is controller adapter central! I just ordered it, so I will report back when I have a chance to test it out. But I'm looking forward to having one stick to rule them all.

However, the quest continues to find an adapter that will allow you to use any Genesis or SNES controller on an Atari 7800 and ColecoVision with two-button functionality. Such an adapter would be a must have with the BS2.

• Like 2

I finally found a source for an adapter that allows you to use a SNES controller on a PS1/PS2:

http://raphnet-tech.com/products/snes2psx_adapter/index.php

This site is controller adapter central! I just ordered it, so I will report back when I have a chance to test it out. But I'm looking forward to having one stick to rule them all.

Wow, this is awesome. I'm definitely going to order that SNES -> PS1/PS2 adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 2 of these adapters this week, along with PS1/PS2 -> Xbox adapters. I plan to use my Battlestation II with my old PS2 and original Xbox consoles for playing arcade games.

I will probably route the left SNES port to my PS2 and the right SNES port to an Xbox. I have both of the Atari ports going to my 7800 for Robotron.

I'm trying to think of what can be done (beyond the obvious) to take advantage of the Genesis ports. For example, it would be great if I could figure out a way to connect it to my Vectrex via these ports. :)

I received my SNES adapter for PSX last week. A little rough looking, but it works great. I included a photo of it in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224378-my-controller-adapter-collection/

I also picked up a Wii/Gamecube adapter for Genesis controllers from the same outfit. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it will allow me to use my BS2 with VC games. I may invest in a couple of TG16 VC games just to test it out.

Yes, my only consoles without controller adapter love are the Astrocade and Vectrex. However, Recycled Gamer custom modded a NeoGeo X stick for my Vectrex, so I'm enjoying Vector Pilot with that.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my SNES adapter for PSX last week. A little rough looking, but it works great. I included a photo of it in this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224378-my-controller-adapter-collection/

I also picked up a Wii/Gamecube adapter for Genesis controllers from the same outfit. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it will allow me to use my BS2 with VC games. I may invest in a couple of TG16 VC games just to test it out.

I'll be interested to hear how that turns out. I'd be even more interested in a way to connect it to a real TG16 console..

I'd also like to find a way to connect this to a PC game port for some old DOS games.. But I think those controllers are analog, so that might be tricky.. I'm not sure the Stelladapter would help, here, since that's a USB adapter..

Ok, so I received the same adapters this week, and they look the same as yours. My guess is that these are SNES extension cables spliced into PSX extension cables..

I got some weird results with connecting my BS2 to my PS2...

First issue which puzzled me greatly for about 20 minutes was that the PS2 didn't respond to any control movement or buttons at all. I tried toggling the "Atari/Commodore only" switch both ways, swapped out cables and adapters, etc..

What I eventually figured out is that you have to disconnect the cables from the Atari/Commodore ports. Apparently, the signal never gets to the NES/SNES ports if the Atari cables are connected. This is very disappointing! Given that you have to screw the cable connectors to the base unit, swapping out these cables when I want to change systems is going to be a pain. I'm going to experiment to see if there is something I can do to find a way to get around this problem (like using a serial port switch or something). If I find something that works, I'll post it here.

(On a related note, I'm thinking that a serial port switch might also make it easy to re-route the BS2's connections to various consoles without plugging/unplugging.. I'm thinking of trying this to switch control between my 7800, my C64, and my Amiga 500...

Second issue which I still haven't figured out: The video display on my PS2 goes dark when I plug in the controller to the PS2 while the PS2 is powered on, and same thing if I connect/disconnect/wiggle the cable connections to the BS2 controller. I guess that there is some kind of electric current looping back into the PS2 from the controller that it doesn't know how to deal with. So far, it hasn't interfered with any gameplay, but I'm not sure it is good for the PS2.. Luckily, PS2 consoles are cheap and abundant..

But perhaps something like your Colecovision fix may be beneficial here.. And I'm also curious if that might not also be the same problem affecting the Odyssey 2?

But perhaps something like your Colecovision fix may be beneficial here.. And I'm also curious if that might not also be the same problem affecting the Odyssey 2?

My guess is that the returned power is what is messing up the O2. Now I can't remember whether I tested the SNES adapter to my BS2 or to a regular Dual Shock that was lying around. I'll have to try again.