IGNORED

Announcing new 2600 controller USB adaptor

dualcam

Can I just ask, who sells the casing that this and the stella adapter uses? I want to build a colecovision and an Intellivion adpater, and really like the casing of this and the stelladpater.

Stella development/testing to support this was done under OSX, though I don't the version.

When plugged in, the OS asks a USB device, "what are you?". The 2600-daptor responds with the descriptor for a HID 2 analog axis, 6 button, joystick. If your OS handles USB HID analog joysticks, then it should automatically handle the 2600-daptor. I would think any PC/MAC OS released in last 10 years would.

How about if it doesn't work, I will refund the purchase price and shipping, and an additional $7 for return shipping - given you have a Win(XP & later)/Mac/Linux OS released in the last 10 years.

Tom

Edited by dualcam

Has this adapter been tested under OSX 10.6.x? What were the results?

Works great with Stella 3.4 on Mac OS 10.6.7.

Apparently Stella 3.4 introduced some type of tracking bug related to using the paddles, but I haven't noticed it.

Apparently Stella 3.4 introduced some type of tracking bug related to using the paddles, but I haven't noticed it.

I believe the bug is when using a mouse for paddle emulation.

Tom

Yes. that is correct. There are issues with mouse emulation of paddles, not with a Stelladaptor/2600-daptor. Go ahead and buy with confidence :)

I picked up several of these 2600-daptors as insurance for my stelladaptor's - they work just as nicely. Great that folks can get 2600 USB adapters again without paying all the extra cash on the secondary market

Now if I can get another one that supports the keypad on the Colecovision controller. I have one of the retrozone ones that works fine but wish I had picked up an extra 1 or 2 while they still made them.

I received my new adapter a few days ago and just got a chance to play with it. This is great! :) The only joysticks I have at the moment are from my Flashback 2 console but they plug right in and go.

I'd say from start to finish I was playing within 5 minutes:

* Downloaded and installed the newest Stella

* Plugged in the USB adapter - laptop recognized it right away

* Hooked up a FB2 joystick

* Opened Stella, set up the directories and selected Pressure Cooker.

* Enjoyed some Atari goodness!! :)

This is awesome. I wish I could have gotten something like this sooner! :)

Now to find some good paddles online...

Edited by ClassicGMR

• 5 months later...

Does anybody know if these are actually available and ready for shipping immediately? I went to the site posted above and sent an email asking if this is currently available and if it can be shipped in time for Christmas. Unfortunately I haven't gotten a response back yet. The page says it is currently available and shipping, and it says that shipping is done by priority mail (2-3 days). So if I placed an order today it should arrive in time for Christmas. However, I don't know how often the site is updated, or how often he actually checks his orders or emails. This is for my girlfriend's dad for Christmas, and maybe I'd order one for myself too, but I need to make sure they are actually available and will ship immediately. Can anybody confirm this? I was hoping I would have received an email response by this afternoon, but nothing yet, and this makes me wonder just how quickly the order would get filled if I place it.

Sorry fiudr I try to make sure to check the Yahoo mail box every day, but must have forgotten Tue, but then did see it Wed. That is still the best way to contact me with any questions though, as I have fallen out of the habit of checking these forums on a regular basis.

Note when an order is placed on Google, it sends a notice to my regular email (not the yahoo), so I am unlike to miss any incoming orders. I make it a priority to get every order into the mail by the next day.

Tom

Controllers with digital joysticks or direction pads could, at least in part, be handled with a dongle plugged in between the controller and the 2600-daptor's 9-pin connector that routed the joystick/pad switches to the appropriate pins. Extra buttons would need to be wired separately to the 2600-daptor's internal terminal block.

I can envision a special version of the 2600-daptor that replaced the DB9 with a high-density DB15. This would provide addition pins for the extra button inputs and eliminate the need of opening up the 'daptor and wiring to the terminal block. Would then have various dongles that plug into the 15-pin to then support different controllers.

I dunno... would there be interest in something like this? Is this any better then just getting a specific USB adapter for each different controller?

Edited by dualcam

Controllers with digital joysticks or direction pads could, at least in part, be handled with a dongle plugged in between the controller and the 2600-daptor's 9-pin connector that routed the joystick/pad switches to the appropriate pins. Extra buttons would need to be wired separately to the 2600-daptor's internal terminal block.

I can envision a special version of the 2600-daptor that replaced the DB9 with a high-density DB15. This would provide addition pins for the extra button inputs and eliminate the need of opening up the 'daptor and wiring to the terminal block. Would then have various dongles that plug into the 15-pin to then support different controllers.

I dunno... would there be interest in something like this? Is this any better then just getting a specific USB adapter for each different controller?

Yes. Although a dedicated Colecovision USB adapter would also be cool. As I mentioned a while back I have one from retrozone that they made 5 or so years ago and wish I had got 1 or 2 more. If any supported Intellivsion 1 controllers I'd also be all over that.

Edited by JL

Has anyone tried this with Mame? I'm curious if the Driving paddle could be used like a spinner in MAME for Tempest and other similar games.

I'm probably going to order one of these just so I can play a proper game of Kaboom again without hooking my old system up again.

Underline that sentence!!! I am curious about this, as well. Glad to see this is available; I had forgotten about 'em.

Last I knew, MAME did not have support for the driving controller, but I have not checked in awhile. Unlike the joystick, which just works, the driving controller requires the emulator software to have specific support for it.

Also, the driving controller only has 16 positions per rotation. This is inherit to the driving controller itself - not a limitation of the 'daptor. So... I don't think it would work that well as a replacement for an arcade spinner.

Tom

Has anyone tried this with Mame? I'm curious if the Driving paddle could be used like a spinner in MAME for Tempest and other similar games.

I'm probably going to order one of these just so I can play a proper game of Kaboom again without hooking my old system up again.

I tried this way back when and from memory, it was an epic fail. At the time, paddles were hard to find at decent prices on Ebay so I picked up the racing game with the racing paddles. Your range of motion is extremely small. I would barely turn the knob and it would careen around the screen. I tried turning down sensitivity and turning up sensitivity and never got to something that was useful. If you like only moving the knob a few millimeters, then maybe you can adapt.

• 3 weeks later...

I would ***LOVE**** a colecovision as well as a Bally Astrocade to USB adapter. The astrocade uses the same DB9 Connecotr. I love that control, I bought two of them, but Retrozone stopped making the adapters/circuits. Also a 5200 controller adapter would be cool too. Same story as the Bally Astrocade.

No promises yet, but I have been looking at other controllers, including Colecovision. Tom

Hi Tom, Great news! Count me in for several Colecovisions, and a bunch of INTV's [iNTV 1 only] if that ones possible.

Edited by JL