Announcing new 2600 controller USB adaptor

187 replies to this topic

#176 fluxit ONLINE  

fluxit

Chopper Commander

• 159 posts

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 PM

Hey Tom(dualcam,)

We(the fans) recently succeeded in adding 2600-daptor compatibility to the Retron 77.  In testing this, I noticed some strange paddle behavior with my 2600-daptor upon which I thought you might have some insight.  I hadn't really used it for paddles before, so I'd not seen this before.

I'm using my Coleco Gemini 'Dual Command' paddles in their 'Y' adapter.  They are newly repaired and cleaned, FWIW.

The 2600-daptor is a 2600-daptor II flashed with the "2600-daptorII TB FB1" firmware.

Demons to Diamonds works perfectly.  Super Breakout works perfectly.  Video Olympics is... strange.  It acts as though there is invisible bubble gum sticking the paddle to the screen in a particular spot about an inch up from the bottom for both paddle 1 and 2.  On the Retron, and also on my desktop machine in Stella, I get the same effect.  When the paddle is about to reach the bottom of the screen, it stops, and there is a dead zone of movement, followed by normal movement *at* the bottom of the screen.  Again, the behavior is the same for both paddles(and both players,) and it is entirely consistent.

I see something similar in (normal)Breakout, but less pronounced.  The paddle 'skips' the dead zone when almost to the left side of the screen instead of doing the virtual shoe in bubble gum routine.

In MAME 0.185, Video Olympics(same ROM) skips the dead zone entirely, with the paddle never occupying that space at all AFAICT, using the default paddle settings in MAME, as I'm sure that I could eliminate the dead zone by tweaking settings in MAME.

Is my 2600-daptor II malfunctioning?

#177 dualcam OFFLINE  

dualcam

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 212 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:22 AM

I'm almost tempted to mod my otherwise useless Sega Sports Pad into a Windows Mouse. Teh three games it works with blow chunks. Thanks for the heads up!

No need to mod the controller to use with my adatpers.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

#178 dualcam OFFLINE  

dualcam

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 212 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:30 AM

Hey Tom(dualcam,)

We(the fans) recently succeeded in adding 2600-daptor compatibility to the Retron 77.  In testing this, I noticed some strange paddle behavior with my 2600-daptor upon which I thought you might have some insight.  I hadn't really used it for paddles before, so I'd not seen this before.

I'm using my Coleco Gemini 'Dual Command' paddles in their 'Y' adapter.  They are newly repaired and cleaned, FWIW.

The 2600-daptor is a 2600-daptor II flashed with the "2600-daptorII TB FB1" firmware.

Demons to Diamonds works perfectly.  Super Breakout works perfectly.  Video Olympics is... strange.  It acts as though there is invisible bubble gum sticking the paddle to the screen in a particular spot about an inch up from the bottom for both paddle 1 and 2.  On the Retron, and also on my desktop machine in Stella, I get the same effect.  When the paddle is about to reach the bottom of the screen, it stops, and there is a dead zone of movement, followed by normal movement *at* the bottom of the screen.  Again, the behavior is the same for both paddles(and both players,) and it is entirely consistent.

I see something similar in (normal)Breakout, but less pronounced.  The paddle 'skips' the dead zone when almost to the left side of the screen instead of doing the virtual shoe in bubble gum routine.

In MAME 0.185, Video Olympics(same ROM) skips the dead zone entirely, with the paddle never occupying that space at all AFAICT, using the default paddle settings in MAME, as I'm sure that I could eliminate the dead zone by tweaking settings in MAME.

Is my 2600-daptor II malfunctioning?

This sounds like the default centering deadzone that Linux evdev applies to analog joysticks.  Is your desktop also Linux?  Stephen made the "evdev-joystick" utility to allow changing this setting - https://stella-emu.g.../downloads.html

Edit: If the Linux kernal is being rebuilt for Retron 77, perhaps the default value for this deadzone can just be changed in the Linux code to (what I presume is needed) zero.  I wish that was the Linux default - it has been nothing but highly annoying as people keep getting tripped up by it.

Tom

Edited by dualcam, Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:40 AM.

#179 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 AM

I was thinking it might be the evdev deadzone stuff too.  R77 is Linux-based, so it should be easy enough to get evdev-joystick compiled and integrated into a future R77 community build.

#180 fluxit ONLINE  

fluxit

Chopper Commander

• 159 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 PM

You are both correct.  I installed evdev-joystick and it did resolve the issue on my Mint system.

#181 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,384 posts

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 PM

No need to mod the controller to use with my adatpers.

Tom

But maybe I want to. 🛠 There's more than enough room inside to fit a Neuteric USB plug, adapter, and required cables...
NAUSB__47041.1359928314.1280.1280.JPG

#182 dualcam OFFLINE  

dualcam

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 212 posts

Posted Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 AM

But maybe I want to. There's more than enough room inside to fit a Neuteric USB plug, adapter, and required cables...
NAUSB__47041.1359928314.1280.1280.JPG

There is no mouse acceleration.  You might try it first and see if you like it as a desktop mouse, before spending time on modding.

Tom

#183 dualcam OFFLINE  

dualcam

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 212 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:06 AM

For those that what to play Stella with non-2600 controllers with the 2600 D9, I posted an alternate "2600=daptor" firmware -

http://2600-daptor.c...firmware D9.htm

For non-2600 controllers. it comes up as with the slightly different device name, which means Stella does not recognize it and you are then free to input map it.  2600 controllers still come up as "2600-daptor" and automatically mapped by Stella.

Also have an edited 80-stelladaptor-joystick.rules for Stephen's evdev-joystick.tar.xz.  Added all the adapters I have that do analog controllers.

Tom

Edited by dualcam, Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:07 AM.

#184 fluxit ONLINE  

fluxit

Chopper Commander

• 159 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 7:32 PM

To be perfectly honest, I don't really understand why Stella doesn't provide the option of overriding the Stelladaptor et al. autodetection and setup.  It's the one thing that made the '7800 only' firmware that you whipped up for me slightly annoying, as I had no firebutton 0(? IIRC,) so I couldn't use sticks for games in Stella that require a plain old 2600 firebutton.

On an unrelated note, the D9 I received last week shows up as Vendor=0001, Product=f6eb.  I triple-checked it to be sure.  It otherwise seems to work properly.  I haven't reflashed it.  Is my firmware borked?

#185 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2019 8:35 PM

It's on the TODO list, for quite some time.  Haven't had time to work on Stella for the past while, and probably won't for the next month at least.  Dualcam/Tom knows about this, as we communicated about it several times.

#186 dualcam OFFLINE  

dualcam

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 212 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2019 10:49 AM

On an unrelated note, the D9 I received last week shows up as Vendor=0001, Product=f6eb.  I triple-checked it to be sure.  It otherwise seems to work properly.  I haven't reflashed it.  Is my firmware borked?

The VID is "Oops" on my part.  Would normally be 04D8 (which is belongs to Microchip who I get the PID's from).  Windows caches the device name in the registry, so I make up a different VID/PID when I want to play with the device name.  Looks like I shipped some D9's out with a dummy VID still in the firmware.  You can reflash to be safe. 

There are some Stella changes that would be nice, but some of these projects like RetroPie and RetroN 77 are on older Stella versions,

Tom

#187 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2019 11:35 AM

Yep, any improvements I make (when I eventually get to it) will be for 6.1 and above; I won't be doing any backporting.  Although some hope may be in sight for the R77 ...

#188 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,355 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2019 2:16 PM

Also have an edited 80-stelladaptor-joystick.rules for Stephen's evdev-joystick.tar.xz.  Added all the adapters I have that do analog controllers.

I'll get this updated in the main download, so others will get it too.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users