IGNORED

Retron 3 SNES sound

There needs to be a built-in icon for a facepalm, :lol:.... I personally understand the use of clone systems (poverty, selling off one's collection, not being able to afford what's better, etc.), but apparently others don't.. Needless to say, yes, your system won't emulate the SNES's sound properly. Nor will any other clone system. Some closer than others, but not 100% (at least not right now)...

I've given up on the clones. I don't see the point, when official hardware is neither rare, nor expensive, but is demonstrably superior. If it's about avoiding clutter, I'd choose another hobby than retrogaming because like many here, I have a pile of consoles anyway.

There needs to be a built-in icon for a facepalm, :lol:.... I personally understand the use of clone systems (poverty, selling off one's collection, not being able to afford what's better, etc.), but apparently others don't.. Needless to say, yes, your system won't emulate the SNES's sound properly. Nor will any other clone system. Some closer than others, but not 100% (at least not right now)...

I suspect that the two most common reasons for clone system ownership will be for availability, and in the case of the multi-system clones, convenience by reducing the number of hookups and pieces of physical hardware taking up space. The last is not an insignificant consideration, especially for people who don't have a dedicated gaming area and have to "make do" with shoving it all under the glass of their entertainment system.

Most of the clones seem to be priced in the range that, with a little work, you can get a system (or pair) for a similar cost. Most of them are pretty reliable, and you can usually find a game store that carries them, regardless of the local availability of the original systems.

Every time somebody poses a question about clones, the same argument of clone vs. original gets dredged up like some unkillable cyborg zombiestein. We have by now all formed our opinions on the matter.

To the OP, I have not used the RetroN3, but I can confirm that later revisions of the FC Twin emulate SNES sound well enough that I cannot tell the difference.

Edited by MagitekAngel
  • Like 1

To the OP, I have not used the RetroN3, but I can confirm that later revisions of the FC Twin emulate SNES sound well enough that I cannot tell the difference.

Yeah It Seems like the FC Twin will be the way to go. I thought about the FC3 Plus, I'll mod it to accept my SNES controllers if I do that. I wonder if the Retron 3 v1 handles the SNES sound better. I care more about the sound being right then I do about being able to play castlevania III.

Does your FC Twin handle the opening song of mario rpg ok, or does it distort it?

Does your FC Twin handle the opening song of mario rpg ok, or does it distort it?

On my FC Twin it sounds the same as on my stock SNES units.

• 3 years later...

I have a RetroN 3, a SupaBoy, an FC Pocket portable Famicom, a Super Retro trio, and I'm thinking about getting a GB Boy Color. I like clone systems and hardware. I also have an SNES 2 in the living room, next to my RetroN 3, because my first one died on me, and the 'refurbished' replacement played SNES in black and white, then not at all. I use clones because the original hardware is harder to find around here, and the cheapest working Gameboy DMG I could find was on eBay, from Australia, for $45. I bought a used NES for $30, but the cart top dust cover is broken, and so is the pin slot. I can't afford a Genesis, and the model 1, the one I want, is not only expensive online, but harder to find. I haven't had any problems with my Super Retro Trio, and with the GBA adapter and Super Gameboy, I can play 5 different types of games on it. The portable clones are great for conventions and long car rides, plus I bring my SupaBoy and Super Gameboy with me when I go retro gaming shopping, to test the games before I buy them. Nobody seems to have a problem with it. The clones aren't perfect, but they're good enough for me.

• 2 years later...

I bought a Retron 3 v2 last week. It distorts the SNES music. The opening song on mario rpg for example. Secret of Evermore was very distoreted. How is the SNES sound on other clone systems? Retro Duo? FC Twin? Retro Twin?

Bumping an old thread but I bought a Retron 3 and returned it and bought a Super Retro Trio and am having the same sound issue on the SNES side. I returned the Retron 3 thinking it was the issue but the SRT has the same issue - distorted or loud music/sound on the SNES side on certain games. The worst offender in my collection is Mr. Do. I almost have to mute it to make it bearable which is a shame as it's my favorite SNES game. It of course sounds fine on a real SNES and SNES 2. I have a good deal on a used Retron 5 that I can get with store credit next week and I wonder how the SNES sound is on those.

• 1 month later...