IGNORED

High Score Club 9.09 - Donkey Kong Junior

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Mario has locked up Papa Donkey Kong! Junior must make his way through a treacherous jungle to free him. Racing against time, Junior climbs and swings across vines, while avoiding dangerous creatures, all to reach a flashing key to release his Papa. If Junior succeeds at this mission, he must push keys to the top of chains, once again avoiding clever opponents. If he passes this test, he arrives at Mario's hideout for another trial against time! Can you help Junior save his father?

dkjr-attract.jpg

Game Information
  • Game Name: Donkey Kong Junior
  • Released By: Coleco, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: 1 Player, Difficulty 1 (Default)

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday May 11th at 1:00 AM (Central Time, UTC-6).

Challenges
  • Hard Mode - Play the game on Difficulty 8 and post your score. Top score will get 5 bonus points, second place 4 and so on. Fifth place and lower will receive 1 point.
    1. 628,400 (toymailman) [+5]
    2. 359,400 (JacobZu7zu7) [+4]
    3. 145,900 (Vocelli) [+3]
    4. 111,900 (Stan) [+2]
    5. 19,500 (Deteacher) [+1]
    6. 19,100 (DT Kofoed) [+1]
    7. 19,000 (classicgamer_27330) [+1]
    8. 17,500 (cparsley) [+1]
    9. 9200 (roadrunner) [+1]
    10. 8600 (Miss 2600) [+1]
    11. 7700 (Scrabbler15) [+1]
    12. 0 (Amstari) [+1]

Current High Scores
  1. 950,600 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 225,100 (Vocelli) [+10]
  3. 217,700 (JacobZu7zu7) [+9]
  4. 180,200 (Stan) [+8]
  5. 167,100 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 91,200 (DT Kofoed) [+6]
  7. 90,500 (classicgamer_27330) [+5]
  8. 88,900 (cparsley) [+4]
  9. 65,400 (roadrunner) [+3]
  10. 46,400 (HatefulGravey) [+2]
  11. 46,300 (oyamafamily) [+1]
  12. 46,000 (Miss 2600) [+1]
  13. 44,100 (Amstari) [+1]
  14. 16,700 (Mister VCS) [+1]
  15. 15,700 (Scrabbler15) [+1]
  16. 11,300 (SpiceWare) [+1]
  17. 11,200 (Gorfy) [+1]
    11,200 (Frostbite76) [+1]

Best Tips
  • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 15,000,000 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 128,200 (Carlos Marrero)
  3. 88,700 (Stephen Riesenberger)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. oyamafamily [123]
  2. JacobZu7zu7 [118]
  3. toymailman [101]
  4. Vocelli [83]
  5. Frostbite76 [82]
  6. Deteacher [68]up.gif
  7. Gorfy [64]down.gif
  8. SpiceWare [47]
  9. classicgamer_27330 [44]
  10. Scrabbler15 [43]up.gif
  11. pis [38]down.gif
  12. Amstari [35]
  13. Miss 2600 [32]
  14. keilbaca [22]
  15. roadrunner [20]up.gif
  16. Cynicaster [20]
  17. SeaGtGruff [20]down.gif
  18. Curious Sofa [16]down.gif
  19. Mister VCS [15]up.gif
  20. DT Kofoed [15]up.gif
  21. centiqueen81 [15]
  22. HatefulGravey [15]down.gif
  23. LarcenTyler [13]
  24. cparsley [12]up.gif
  25. Krytol [12]down.gif
  26. pokeplayer984 [12]down.gif
  27. Stan [10]up.gif
  28. zylon [10]down.gif
  29. Wickeycolumbus [6]up.gif
  30. littleman jack [6]up.gif
  31. atarigal [5]new.gif
  32. Cortat G [5]down.gif
  33. bennybingo [5]down.gif
  34. atariUCLA24 [3]down.gif
  35. SpaceDice2010 [2]down.gif
  36. Mangia-Boy [1]down.gif
  37. rmaerz [1]down.gif
  38. Cream147 [1]down.gif
  39. MIKE5200 [1]down.gif
  40. theKLT [1]down.gif
  41. DickNixonArisen [1]down.gif
  42. leematari [1]

Scoring Points in Donkey Kong Junior
  • When you complete a mission, the Bonus Timer stops. The number remaining in the Timer is added to your score.
  • Placing key in lock (Key Mission) - 100 points

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any specific hints.

Deteacher

You can sort of control the behavior of the snapjaws. It's all in how you're positioned on the vines. I got no tips on the 3rd stage, other than learn to time your jumps over the snapjaws.

If you hang off the right side of any given vine, the snapjaws will pass you by from overhead. They will not go down your vine. On the key level, they will hover underneath you as long as there is only one snapjaw on that line. So, you can either wait for a second one to come down (cancelling them both out) or, hang on the left of the two vines. Then when the snapjaw is hovering, move to the right vine, drop down and continue the mission.

JacobZu7zu7

Level 1

The second vine out is tricky to reach! I missed my jump many times, 1 tip to always reach it is ...press/hold fire button and hold down the right direction until you get hold of the vine.

Level 2

Starting level two, that bird is right on your monkey hiney, to avoid getting hit by the bird do this... "before your level begins" hold down right on joystick THEN hit the fire button.

DON'T PUSH THE FIRE BUTTON FIRST!

BIG LEVEL 2 TIP

Once you get hold of any vines under the keys, the bird cannot hurt you!! Doesn't matter if your feet or a** is touching the bird! Just don't slip off the vine now. This technique helps when you are up against fast BLUE chattering teeth.

EARLY GAMING TIP

Sometimes just pushing the button in an emergency can launch you up on a vine safely. Always wait for the bird to fly passed you before dropping off the vine, also wait for chattering teeth to clear passed too. If you are under the KEY but teeth are looming down, just tap the right or left controls, to get off the vine with teeth on it.

Level 3

Electricity stage, "with red snapping teeth?", this is the tough one. When starting this... send Kong Jr. on the two poles... wait for the red teeth to loop once, then tap the joystick FAST and push the fire button. This

works until level difficulty "5" then I discovered a cool trick!

The zaps won't kill you (FROM BELOW) if you are hanging at the top most part of the poles! It will go under your feet... I don't think this works in earlier levels, so you just have to get passed the 45-46ks range and through to game 5. Then you won't have to jump right away, you can watch the zap go under your feet, just be careful for the ones above your head, those still can kill you. You might want to set difficulty game 5 just to practice the 3rd level.

Coleco must have realized that Level 3 is impossible to finish by difficulty 5, without adding this trick. (That trick stops working at level 7 --Deteacher)

--Zero

Also not sure if you would consider this. But is there some way to maybe inform people ahead of time what the next game will be? I didn't own this one and had to purchase it, but I might only have 1-2 days to get a score in. If I knew ahead of time I could have bought it and had it ready. I guess that's not really possible, but I just wanted to check. This port looks DREADFUL.

Also not sure if you would consider this. But is there some way to maybe inform people ahead of time what the next game will be? I didn't own this one and had to purchase it, but I might only have 1-2 days to get a score in. If I knew ahead of time I could have bought it and had it ready.

I've considered this before, especially in the past when I've chosen homebrew games, and specifically linked to their pages in the AtariAge store in the hopes to encourage people to buy them (No, I don't get any kickbacks from this... I just like to support the community).

However, I like the week long limit on gameplay, and I feel that if I announce games ahead of time, then some people will practice them ahead of time to improve their scores beyond what that would normally restrict them to.

Of course, there are some excellent ways to get around the problem... Playing the games via emulator is perfectly acceptable, and if you prefer using the original hardware, you can always buy a Harmony Cart. I own one myself, and it's certainly far easier than sorting through boxes and boxes of cartridges even when you do own a real copy (No, I don't get any kickbacks from Harmony Cart sales either!)

--Zero

No problem ya damn Greek! It's cool, I figured that. I like playing it real. It gives me a reason to expand my collection every week if I don't have the game. My collection was previously toned down to only the games I liked or enjoyed playing. Now I opened up a whole drawer of the cabinet to accomodate high score club purchases! I had it prioritied, so I might even receive it today to get started. This version looks SO rank.

I popped this game in today before heading off to work, and all I can say is I thought the INTV port of DK/DK Jr. was terrible, this takes the cake.... No fruits, no rhyme/reason on enemies, etc.... come on Coleco, spend more than 5 minutes on your ports lol. (4 of which was on creating the Coleco logo) lol

I loved this game when I was a kid. Then again, I don't think I ever played the arcade version. Playing it now, there is a lot of waiting around for the waves of alligator staple things to pass down the vines. I couldn't get off the vine fast enough on the second tier of game three of the third level (I don't know if that makes sense), so I lost all three of my remaining lives there. :sad:

Default mode: 46,000

post-2105-0-25893800-1304629194_thumb.jpg

I could only get the second lock up on the tough level.

Game 8: 8,600

post-2105-0-07301900-1304629319_thumb.jpg

45,700 (Default)

wow I have a score higher than oyamafamily, never thought that, even if it's short lived, updated score 65,600 no picture, by mistake I hit the "fry cartridge" button on my emulator instead of the screen capture button

Me, too (only by 300 points)! Yeah, that won't last long!

D.K. J

Ohh, I am getting closer to getting up that electric stage on level 5 or 6...

I beat out Twin Galaxies 3rd place finisher

88,700 (Stephen Riesenberger)

YES! It can be done.

:twisted:

Hard mode 8

By the time of weeks end, I'd have slid down more poles then a Firefighter or a Stripper combined! ;)

post-3059-0-23006700-1304631457_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-00353800-1304631527_thumb.jpg

Edited by JacobZu7zu7