IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Found this at a Goodwill in Naples while down there on vacation last week and picked it up. Brand new in box for $10.

Compared to the completely dry Salvation Army and Rescue Mission stores in the Syracuse area, this Goodwill was a hotbed of gaming action. They had 2 more NIB Wii U controllers like the one I got, a couple overpriced ($20) Wiimotes, a Flasback 3 ($20 or $30), and a large number of other controllers and accessories.

I was close to picking up a 3rd party travel case for Wii U for $5, in very good condition, but decided I didn't really like it all that much.

Just the shear number of gaming items (relatively speaking) made me want to hit the 4 other Goodwills that I'd seen, but on a family vacation it's pretty hard for me to sell that idea to everyone else! :)

post-6103-0-23071700-1392991727_thumb.jpg

Checked some thrift today, the one where I had gotten my price-stickerless Apple ][ from had an Apple ][ color composite monitor + floppy drive, which would be pretty handy if they hadn't thrown their catch-all "it's a computer, so it's $50" price tag on it =|

They also had a pretty decent 50 watt Crate guitar combo tube amp for $35. It said "works intermittently" on it, but I could probably fix it. For me, it would only be a downgrade, but if I can find a friend who is in need...

• Like 1

Yesterday at Goodwill: Quest 64 strategy guide and empty DS game case for 72 cents. Now I just need to get a copy of Quest 64.

Flea market last Sunday: Someone had early VCS carts, including Combat, for $10 each. Got an NES Advantage manual for free and a (Sega Saturn) Stunner for $5.

CcA8joT.jpg

Nuon for $12

Man I've been looking for one of these F-O-R-E-V-E-R at the thrifts. Not a major find but I figured its nuts to pay $75-$100+ for one of these on eBay when one just has to show up at a Thrift eventually.. so I've been scanning the DVD player stacks for that damned nuon logo for awhile.

No games, controller or remote (I searched!) but all of that should be easy enough to fix (anyone got a copy of Tempest 3k under $50? PM me! lol)

Fired it up tonight and it works.. should be an interesting system to mess around with. Only downside is it was marked at $12 versus the $6 all the other DVD players were.. damn you fickle hand of goodwill pricing!

• Like 7

Checked some thrift today, the one where I had gotten my price-stickerless Apple ][ from had an Apple ][ color composite monitor + floppy drive, which would be pretty handy if they hadn't thrown their catch-all "it's a computer, so it's $50" price tag on it =|

That's still a great deal for an Apple //e system, especially with a color monitor. My Apple // setup is 1 drive controller card short of a complete setup.

We go out every week, hitting 6-10 GoodWills and a few fleas/thrifts. (Usually followed by a Chinese lunch.) :)

What a great thing to do as a couple! My wife and I do garage sales in the summer together as well (sometimes dragging uninterested kids in tow).

Stopped at a Goodwill today and they had paperbacks for half off (.50/ea) and found some old Strategy Guides. All for $7.

post-31049-0-91635600-1393439105_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's still a great deal for an Apple //e system, especially with a color monitor. My Apple // setup is 1 drive controller card short of a complete setup.

The //e (with a hacked-in floppy drive) was $50, but eventually the sticker fell off, so I asked how much it was and got lucky (I think it was $20? I'd have to look through the thread).

$50 for the whole thing altogether, maybe. But the monitor + floppy drive is a separate find, at $50. Still a good deal?

And would the monitor look different than just plugging into a TV? I've seen screenshots where the artifacting was mixed together to fake extra colors, which looked real nice, but I haven't seen it in any emulator or on my TV. Back in elementary school, we only had green monochrome screens, so I wouldn't know...

Got a Philips CDV475 laserdisc player today. Picked it up for 20 euro from an ad on a local market site. Was advertised as untested but i took the chance. Before i bought it i made sure it powered up and the disc tray was working.

So now i can watch my recently bought laserdiscs.

post-5654-0-06730400-1393619169_thumb.jpg

post-5654-0-27210900-1393619179_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

So here's something you don't see everyday...

post-6115-0-57230300-1393719739_thumb.jpg

I had never played a Pachinko machine before today, but as far as I can tell, it's in working order. One of the wooden feet was partially broken off, but the machine still sits level.

This was donated to the thrift I volunteer at. I wouldn't mind keeping it for myself, except I have zero room for something like this. Anybody looking for a Pachinko machine and willing to pick it up in Houston, Texas?

• Like 3

That's a nice Pachinko machine. Most pachinkos in the USA are the earlier models, predating the one you picture there. If I was ever to lay down cash for one, I would want one of the more blinged out recent models with a LCD screen in the middle, etc.

I've been doing some reading, and a bit of playing. This is a 2002 machine, fancier than the electro-mechanicals but not quite new enough for an LCD screen. You can tell its meant for a gambling parlor; the program controlling the slot reels definitely likes to tease. And it's loud! I found the switch controlling the volume, which of course only made it even louder. Pity that my roommate was trying to nap at the time...

All told, it plays great.

Imports arrived at the Goodwill...

Mega Drive:

Tant-R

Super Masters

Super World War

Nice find, it'd be fun to have those. Do you speak Japanese? Super Daisenryaku may be unplayable without the language. IIRC, it also isn't compatible with the Model 2 Mega Drive/Genesis (or more accurately, it's not compatible with TMSS).

Nice find, it'd be fun to have those. Do you speak Japanese? Super Daisenryaku may be unplayable without the language. IIRC, it also isn't compatible with the Model 2 Mega Drive/Genesis (or more accurately, it's not compatible with TMSS).

I actually do not speak Japanese (I looked up the titles by the part numbers). Haven't had a chance to fire them up yet.

IMG_20140305_183934_zpsk8hpepus.jpg

Found this Romox Fortune Hunter in a mom and pop game store today. The price was $5, which the owner took out of the value of the trade-in stuff I had brought with me.

• Like 2