IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Looked all over town, all thrift stores, pawn shops, the two yard sales there were found nothing but PS3, 360 (none I wanted), a ton a sports junk, a few nasty PS2's, and so on. So I went up to Abilene yesterday to visit some friends and play some N64, and at a yardsale there I spied a smallish box with some games, that my friend had already reached, but I did manage to snag two games before he snatched them all up:

348682F9-7AC7-47AB-8930-A8B7FA0A37D1_zps

1C36BCDF-2235-4F9F-B920-1195D7A77E37_zps

Payed $10 for the lot.

I had two copies of this briefly. It was a good game when it was released, but man, it aged about as well as Phyllis Diller. Once the Dreamcast was released, Panzer Dragoon Saga was almost as presentable as a pile of cow dung. Almost. Even Panzer Dragoon Orta on the more powerful Xbox looks like it was beaten by the ugly stick.

Picked up at Goodwill:

PS2

Splinter Cell

Enter the Matrix

Gamecube

Cars

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai

Dragon's lair 3D

Godzilla Destroy all Monsters

Mariokart Double Dash

Sherk Smash N Crash Racing

Sherk Super Slam

Super Mario Strikers

Wii

X-men Origins Wolverine

Star Wars The Force Unleased II

Nerf N-Strike

Rayman Raving Rabbits

NES

Super Mario Brothers / Duck Hunt

• Like 1

Got a bunch of Timex Sinclair 1000 stuff at a sale today. The computer has the original box and everything, plus there's seemingly every book about it, plus there's a Timex Sinclair User magazine, plus there's an unopened "The Organizer" tape, plus there's an Intellivision manual. Unfortunately, the keyboard doesn't work. I took it apart, and the ribbon cable is shredded.

• Like 2

Everyone tells me it's a ton of fun, but now that I know it's worth so much I am thinking of selling it. In my current situation it would be safer to move it to a collector. Between my room mate and others, once it's found out I have it, it'll become a target, so don't know what to do..

I bet you could put it on the Marketplace here for between $250 - $300 and it would sell in less than a week. Most on Ebay seem to sell at above $350!

Geez, our hobby is getting more and more expensive. Today at Value Village I saw CIB, both for 2600, in the DISPLAY CASE!

Imagic Cosmic Ark $19.99 :-o

Activision Dolphin $12.99 :-o

Both boxes were not in mint shape, kind of beat up BTW

I say expensive because just a year ago, they were selling the same friggin games for $2.99 each

I'm glad i have several of those games loose and CIB already. I just feel for the folks who are just starting a collection!! :-o

Pretty common games to be put in the display case

:roll: :rolling:

Came across these at a yard sale today ...

post-30739-0-43353000-1410042422_thumb.jpg

post-30739-0-15458300-1410042438_thumb.jpg

I think the Renaissance Eyeware promo standup is pretty rare and worth a bit. There is one on evil bay for $500 but it has a few damaged spots and I don't know if that asking price is above or below what it should be worth. Seems high to me though even for a rare promo sign.

I don't know what the other one is for but the animation appears to be Japanese. It looks like it had a bottom to stand it up (hence the slots). I can't find anything to identify it either on the standup itself or on the web (no markings on the front or back). Anyone know about this?

• Like 1

Came across these at a yard sale today ...

attachicon.gifmario 1.JPG

attachicon.gifmario 2.JPG

I think the Renaissance Eyeware promo standup is pretty rare and worth a bit. There is one on evil bay for $500 but it has a few damaged spots and I don't know if that asking price is above or below what it should be worth. Seems high to me though even for a rare promo sign.

I don't know what the other one is for but the animation appears to be Japanese. It looks like it had a bottom to stand it up (hence the slots). I can't find anything to identify it either on the standup itself or on the web (no markings on the front or back). Anyone know about this?

It's not much help, but the animation used in your bottom item is, I don't think, Japanese. It was on the top of a Nintendo trunk that I had as a kid, and which I sold on EBay about ten years ago. So it was sold on US Products.

• Like 1

I went to a garage sale on Thursday, and found a HUGE collection of Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games. We're talking tons, people, and they were all five dollars a piece. I was short on green so I just picked up Witcher 2: Enhanced and called it a day. So is this common now? Last gen games are five bucks at yard sales?

I went to a garage sale on Thursday, and found a HUGE collection of Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games. We're talking tons, people, and they were all five dollars a piece. I was short on green so I just picked up Witcher 2: Enhanced and called it a day. So is this common now? Last gen games are five bucks at yard sales?

Yeah that price is common. Its nice cause sometimes you can talk them down to 3 for 10. I went to one garage sale this summer where they charged 15 dollars a game. The games were 5 year old sports titles.

It's not much help, but the animation used in your bottom item is, I don't think, Japanese. It was on the top of a Nintendo trunk that I had as a kid, and which I sold on EBay about ten years ago. So it was sold on US Products.

okay I was able to find the trunk on ebay - good grief some people want a small fortune for this thing! Anyway you're right and I found the art. Thank you

Anybody else hate goodwill?

I recently found out that my local goodwill has an agreement with "Abebooks.com". Basically, Abebooks installs a scanner in the back of goodwill and when new media (video games, books, movies, music, etc.) comes in, the goodwill employees scan each item. There is an indicator that tells the employee to put it on the Abebooks shelf or the standard goodwill shelf. Obviously, they are filtering out the items of value.

Then Abebooks periodically brings a truck to pick up all the abebooks item, which they then sell online and give goodwill a percentage of the profit.

Ordinarily I wouldn't see a problem with a company doing this to help revenue, but it is f***ing Goodwill! It is a non-profit and they were founded to give back to the same community that gave to them! Unless someone knows something that I don't, this is complete bulls**t! No wonder I haven't been able to find anything anymore.

Anyway, thought this might be a good place to rant and to share what your local goodwill may be up to.

Anybody else hate goodwill?

I recently found out that my local goodwill has an agreement with "Abebooks.com". Basically, Abebooks installs a scanner in the back of goodwill and when new media (video games, books, movies, music, etc.) comes in, the goodwill employees scan each item. There is an indicator that tells the employee to put it on the Abebooks shelf or the standard goodwill shelf. Obviously, they are filtering out the items of value.

Then Abebooks periodically brings a truck to pick up all the abebooks item, which they then sell online and give goodwill a percentage of the profit.

Ordinarily I wouldn't see a problem with a company doing this to help revenue, but it is f***ing Goodwill! It is a non-profit and they were founded to give back to the same community that gave to them! Unless someone knows something that I don't, this is complete bulls**t! No wonder I haven't been able to find anything anymore.

Anyway, thought this might be a good place to rant and to share what your local goodwill may be up to.

Goodwill's primary mission is to provide employment training to disadvantaged populations. The stores exist just to fund those other operations, so it's hard to blame them for doing things that increase revenue. OTOH, like most other collectors, I also miss the days when I could find good stuff there regularly.

Goodwill's primary mission is to provide employment training to disadvantaged populations. The stores exist just to fund those other operations, so it's hard to blame them for doing things that increase revenue. OTOH, like most other collectors, I also miss the days when I could find good stuff there regularly.

OK, point taken, but they have to also have to take in mind the repercussions on the community of this practice. Goodwill can open its doors everyday because their shelves are fill by the local community. I take a lot of stuff to goodwill and I enjoy shopping for things in Goodwill. If they outsource all the good stuff then that affects the morale of patrons like myself. This seems like a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you.

• Like 1

I think I got $100 for mine, including shipping. And it wasn't much help....no idea what the item you found was for. :P

I researched the "sold for" on ebay and some sold for around $100 or so, some less, a few over $200 and even one at $350. I'll probably end up selling both pieces together, maybe an avid Nintendo collector will know what it is from or maybe they won't care and just be happy to add it to their stock. :)

Yep, similar to Barbarella. Flesh Gordon comes on late night TV every once in a while. They sure as heck won't show it on prime time, but you never know nowadays.

It's very tame for alleged x-rated fare. It's barely a "Hard R" at this point. NetFlix has the unrated version on DVD.

okay so I have to post these. I found them in a computer lot I picked up about a month ago. Anyone who was computing in the early 80s probably did something like this at one point - just think "Print Shop":

post-30739-0-43279900-1410153722_thumb.jpg

and the inside opened (as a card)

post-30739-0-48482700-1410153760_thumb.jpg

I just love "Chris tmas"

it gets better ... and begins to make more sense

post-30739-0-98749400-1410153794_thumb.jpg

and opened:

post-30739-0-98495500-1410153826_thumb.jpg

"Wife" "Babe" and "Dad" should never be used in the same greeting card. NEVER

I wonder if I will see any "LITTEL CUPIDES" this valentine's day. Probably not.

This was also in the box - pretty interesting, I guess a comparison chart handed out at Toys R Us

post-30739-0-95017200-1410154364_thumb.jpgpost-30739-0-76358800-1410154573_thumb.jpg

• Like 4