IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

The best thing I ever found was a complete in box copy of Dragon Warrior IV at a goodwill.
Everything inside was in perfect condition except a small tear on the corner of the box.

Then I got the Descendants of Erdrick to sign it!

Another great buy was a complete in box copy of Final Fantasy II (IV) that had EVERYTHING INSIDE!
Spent $26 and was soooo psyched about it. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine who valued it more than me. (I was young, didn't think about it, and super generous obviously.)
I know he still has it and offered it back if I ever really want it.

The other day, at Goodwill, we found, but did not buy, Faces of Death II on VHS @_@

I think that might be my new 2nd place for "how the heck did this make it onto the shelf??"

1st place will probably always be the Ziploc bag with a dirty, used McCafe cup inside.

Yes, I'm keeping the Star Wars laserdiscs, still. :)

Sadly, Star Wars is only the tip of the iceberg.

Sadly, Star Wars is only the tip of the iceberg.

Actually I know of one or two others. Revenge of the Nerds got snipped for its DVD releases and the sound for Superman has been reworked a time or two. I'm curious what others might be. Are there any websites out there that document this kind of stuff? IMDb.com used to, but it looks like they've flushed all their laserdisc info.

With some Disc Fix, I managed to get it mostly working. (A lot of the music doesn't work/skips.)

Contact this guy. Back when I was on GameTZ he offered repair services. Ship the game to him and pay him like $5 and he would fix it for you. He has a top of the line resurfacer. I think it's a nice azuradisc. Or call around and find someone that has an azuradisc disc repair. They are top of the line and can fix practically anything. They remove all the bad gauged plastic layers and replace with nice new layers.

http://www.forgottenfreshness.com/

• Like 1

Contact this guy. Back when I was on GameTZ he offered repair services. Ship the game to him and pay him like $5 and he would fix it for you. He has a top of the line resurfacer. I think it's a nice azuradisc. Or call around and find someone that has an azuradisc disc repair. They are top of the line and can fix practically anything. They remove all the bad gauged plastic layers and replace with nice new layers.

I'm just not sure how much of an effect resurfacing will have when you can shine a light through some of the cracks.

Edited by CRV

Thanks for that link! I have 5-6 discs that need resurfacing, so this is perfect.

I'm curious what others might be. Are there any websites out there that document this kind of stuff?

There's tons of movies...most of them are things that normal people wouldn't care about, like not offering the original mono or stereo soundtracks. I don't understand the need for everything to be in surround, I could use half of a hand to count the amount of movies I've seen that used it in an impressive way (sorry for the mini rant).

I think more importantly, a lot of stuff on BD, they try to clean the picture up too much, and scrub away all of the natural film grain, and leave everything looking like a blurry, waxy mess (see Predator for a good example). Other movies, like Mad Max 2, they outsource the original negatives to be remastered without using any of the original colortiming information, leaving the film looking completely different than intended (blue skies and brown desert, instead of red clay and desolate wasteland). The Matrix is a really good example; they recolored the entire thing to be more greenish, to match the sequels better.

I don't know if there's any definitive website for that kind of info, I only get BDs for things I watch on a regular basis (or movies that -look- really good), so I just check DVDBeaver or other review sites before making a purchase. Caps-a-holic is another good one to check.

Edited by Asaki

I don't know if there's any definitive website for that kind of info, I only get BDs for things I watch on a regular basis (or movies that -look- really good), so I just check DVDBeaver or other review sites before making a purchase. Caps-a-holic is another good one to check.

I gotcha. Thanks for the references. I'm more forgiving about audio mixes, but it does irk me when the picture is overproduced for the sake of making it look "modern."

I like to browse highdefdigest.com for Blu-ray reviews, also. They have a cache of old HD DVD reviews as well.

Ok just came back from an auction. I totally missed this item at the auction. I was too busy looking at the 100 arcade cabs. It was in lot 23 and he was on lot 25 and I walked over to bid on some ps games that was coming up and I seen this on the table and was like shit! It was grouped w/2 rc cars. Luckily they write the number of the winning bidder on it. The winner was #3 so I watched everyone bid until I found #3.

He was bidding on every rc car and hess truck there. I figured maybe I can luck out and nab it from him. I waited till he was ready to leave and asked him if he would sell me the menacer. He said "the what", and looked at what I was pointing at and then said "oh yeah how much". I offered $20 he immediately took it. I prolly could have offered less lol.

I asked outside if I paid him more than he won it for and he said he broke even. Probably a good thing I didn't notice right away or we would have bid it up around $50.

Looks unused!

post-25078-0-42207700-1422727314_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-85144100-1422727335_thumb.jpg

Edited by icemanxp300

Goodwill had PSOne with DS controller for $7, no power supply but it worked when I checked at home so it's good spare.

Some of you may be hating me for this find but Meijer was having a store wide half-off any clearance sale merchandise except for clearance sale Apple products. The one by me also happened to have Colecovision systems on clearance sale for $30 so I paid only $15 after the half off sale. Left behind 1 other CV system that was opened and missing controllers. I didn't find any other flashback systems. I also checked other nearby Meijer and they didn't have any.

Ok with today being the last day of the month, thought I'd just post everything from January in one post, even if I may have previously mentioned some of it:

Tandy Coco 2 64K - $60 shipped, about market price. I love these computers

PS2 Slim with controller and hookups - free from a collector buddy

Lucasarts Archive Volume 3 - free from same buddy. Missing Afterlife and Full Throttle and has two copies of Dark Forces but still great to get some of these

Atari 8-bit computer power supply - $1.99 at a local thrift sitting with all the cell phone chargers

PS1 Street Fighter Alpha Warrior Dreams CIB Longbox - $3.99 at Value Village

PS2 Star Wars Starfighter CIB - $1.99

Gamecube Worms Blast CIB - $9.99

Wii Party CIB - $10

Genesis NHL 97 CIB - $4 (hoping to find 98 but that one seems rare and pricey for a sports game)

Astro Blaster Atari 7800 homebrew with instructions from Atariage - $30

Demolition Derby Tandy Coco - $5

Bumper Bash Atari 2600 - $25 and a spare GBA SP in a cash/trade deal with a local collector. This is my second copy. My other one has a broken dust cover

GBA Iridion II - $6

GB Solar Striker - $1.99

GB Blades of Steel - $4

GB Super RC Pro AM - $3

Pac-Man "Old School" T-shirt - gift from my wife smiley.gif

january%20finds%201_zpsafpvjd0w.jpg

january%20finds%202_zpsozanzreg.jpg

pacmanshirt_zps8zxnhtyo.jpg

• Like 3

HD dvd was the way to go and it looked better than blue-ray .

Unfortunately, BD won because it had stronger anti-piracy @_@

...which, in the long run, didn't mean jack squat.

Left behind 1 other CV system that was opened and missing controllers. I didn't find any other flashback systems.

Yeah, the last time I checked Meijer, they had a stack of CVs left (for $30), but not the other two. I already nabbed an Intellevision, which was the only one I was slightly interested in (or maybe the portable Genesis, if it would ever be in stock, and cheap), I think I grabbed it at Black Friday for $30.

Unfortunately, BD won because it had stronger anti-piracy @_@

...which, in the long run, didn't mean jack squat.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

No matter how hard they try to stop piracy, it's always a moot point in the end. And what's more, despite the many anti-piracy hacks out there, sales of movie and games doesn't seems affected. Maybe if they just skipped anti-piracy and just relied on that old FBI warning and penalties when someone is caught producing or selling illegal copies. I would think most of the "free" movies and games people get are from 5-finger discount at stores and not from cracked copy or download.

I bet Sony still hasn't gotten over the black eye from the 99-cents marker hack on their multi-million dollars CD protection. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Edited by 7800fan

Unfortunately my HD DVD collection is suffering from bit rot. Warner Brothers used a bad factory for a while, and Google is full of stories of WB discs going bad. I've already had to toss several discs and replace them with Blu-rays, and now it looks like my disc of The Matrix is also going bad.

Oh well, in happier news, this past weekend this was at the store where I volunteer:

post-6115-0-78295000-1422906155_thumb.jpg

Not as much fun to take online since Nintendo discontinued Nintendo Wi-Fi last year, but I think I can still have some fun with it.

I also cleaned up and bundled the Atari 2600 Junior from last weekend, so I believe Some Guy went home happy. At least I hope it's not still there. I'd be depressed for my hobby if it were. :)

More Nintendo portable fun.

post-6115-0-41417900-1423456517_thumb.jpg

That's a DS Lite and a DSi surrounding a Game Boy Advance SP. All three work great, and I'm putting all three up for sale on behalf of the thrift store. Surprisingly there was only one game between them, Madden NFL 06 for the Game Boy Advance. I doubt anyone is eagerly anticipating adding that one to their collections, but it'll be up for sale too if anyone wants.

Picked up this little package recently:

20150125_194803.jpg

The games are nothing spectacular rarity-wise, but I needed them for my collection. Gyruss is one of my all-time favorites, and I had never played it on the 2600. It plays nice!

The real star here is the Coleco Expansion Module #1, which I have been searching for in the wild for a long time. I picked up the entire package for $25.

Also picked up some early 80's rock classics:

20150125_194658.jpg

A little more on that Expansion Module. Guy said it was untested. And it was GROSS.

20150131_091558.jpg

20150131_091607.jpg

20150131_093610.jpg

And after some cleaning:

20150131_093535.jpg

20150131_093540.jpg

20150131_093549.jpg

20150131_093928.jpg

And it works great!

20150131_101614.jpg

• Like 2

Please excuse the bad picture. Right now, I only have an old crappy video camera at hand. I decided to share it anyway, because the finds are unusual:

First time ever I saw a ZX Spectrum game in the wild here in Germany and first time ever I found a CIB PHILIPS Videopac game in the wild. Only 3 Euro, and in great shape as well.

And that book... Wow! It's from 1983. The Commodore 64 is mentioned as a computer that "might find quite a few customers in the future". Nice prediction right there, buddy! It has a whole chapter titled "The Future", talking about artificial intelligence, the hot new CD technology etc. More than 200 pages of pure time capsule. I am so going to enjoy reading it.

Oh yeah... and some Gameboy crap. Cheap as dirt these days...

post-34656-0-67927400-1424026898_thumb.jpg

Please excuse the bad picture. Right now, I only have an old crappy video camera at hand. I decided to share it anyway, because the finds are unusual:

First time ever I saw a ZX Spectrum game in the wild here in Germany and first time ever I found a CIB PHILIPS Videopac game in the wild. Only 3 Euro, and in great shape as well.

And that book... Wow! It's from 1983. The Commodore 64 is mentioned as a computer that "might find quite a few customers in the future". Nice prediction right there, buddy! It has a whole chapter titled "The Future", talking about artificial intelligence, the hot new CD technology etc. More than 200 pages of pure time capsule. I am so going to enjoy reading it.

Oh yeah... and some Gameboy crap. Cheap as dirt these days...

What's your definition of "cheap as dirt?" Because the German definition is likely different than ours, considering the inflated prices of games in Europe.

You ever see some good Game Boy Advance finds? I'm quite fond of that system and tend to collect whatever I can, as long as the games are good.