IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

I have to find out how to put more games on the HD...

It's pretty easy, you just find a spare ethernet cable and hook your console up to the network, then get on a computer and FTP the files over.

For ISO files, there's a program called Qwix that will do most of the work for you.

You can find most of the XBox Live update and DLC packs online too, and install them offline.

Also, make sure to update XBMC or whatever it's called now, the old versions are pretty buggy.

Ohh, yeah, side note: The Xbox 360 was parent blocked. Ever try to hack one of those?

My WiiU was locked when I got it. They made it pretty painless, but I had to borrow a credit card to prove that I was older than 18.

• Like 1

My WiiU was locked when I got it. They made it pretty painless, but I had to borrow a credit card to prove that I was older than 18.

I tried calling the Microsoft Xbox 360 support line during my attempts to find the code to crack it. I swear, the lady at one point said "Type 'parental lock' in Google. Stick with me." I hung up on her. It's so sad...

Best find of the year on Craigslist. Mini Super Nintendo w/ 35 games for $160. Had a crappy picture of everything that if you looked upside down, stood on your head and squinted really, really hard you MIGHT be able to guess a game by the picture label. And I guessed right ... Earthbound was one of the games!!! Also has Mega Man X, Mario All Stars, Zelda and others.

post-31049-0-98741700-1438885871_thumb.jpg post-31049-0-20884000-1438885886_thumb.jpg post-31049-0-39373500-1438885860_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I tried calling the Microsoft Xbox 360 support line during my attempts to find the code to crack it. I swear, the lady at one point said "Type 'parental lock' in Google. Stick with me." I hung up on her. It's so sad...

Did a Microsoft employee actually recommend Google to you or were you just paraphrasing that?

It's absolutely true. The original version of the FB 2 has the pin locations as well as a screen printed label for a cart connector on the mother board. If you solder on a cart connector you can play just about any cart since the FB2 is basically an "Atari on a chip". Instructions on how to do it can be found with a quick search. I was going to go this route and then realized that it was probably just a hair outside of my skillset. I'm glad I went real hardware instead! The FB2 joysticks are great repro-ish of the CX-40s to.

I'm not sure about "damn near any", but I'd still agree the FB2 trumps the FB4.

It's absolutely true. The original version of the FB 2 has the pin locations as well as a screen printed label for a cart connector on the mother board...

There are known incompatibilities that keep the FB2 from playing "damn near any" cartridge. It can only play "most" of them. Discussion and a link to a compatibility list can be found here.

But even without 100% compatibility it's still better than any of the other Flashbacks.

A local pawn shop (which is on the verge of closing) had this Tandy Coco 2 for $79.99 for a few weeks. I waited and of course it never sold. Yesterday I went in and offered $10 and the girl accepted. As she's ringing me up I said "I could have said one dollar and you would have taken it, wouldn't you?" She just smiled. Dammit! Anyway it came with two of the black joysticks in a box too and it works good. Yep it's yellow but for $10 I'll buy coco 2's all day :D

post-2493-0-96481100-1438989759_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 4

Best find of the year on Craigslist. Mini Super Nintendo w/ 35 games for $160. Had a crappy picture of everything that if you looked upside down, stood on your head and squinted really, really hard you MIGHT be able to guess a game by the picture label. And I guessed right ... Earthbound was one of the games!!! Also has Mega Man X, Mario All Stars, Zelda and others.

attachicon.gifIMG_3065.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_3063.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_3066.JPG

Awesome find!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A local pawn shop (which is on the verge of closing) had this Tandy Coco 2 for $79.99 for a few weeks. I waited and of course it never sold. Yesterday I went in and offered $10 and the girl accepted. As she's ringing me up I said "I could have said one dollar and you would have taken it, wouldn't you?" She just smiled. Dammit! Anyway it came with two of the black joysticks in a box too and it works good. Yep it's yellow but for $10 I'll buy coco 2's all day :D

Lucky You... I've been looking for a CoCo2? So did you get 4 controllers total or are the controllers just shown outside their boxes?

Proof that really good garage sale finds are still out there:

DSC06558.jpg

He gave me a deal, all for $10. For those unaware, The Jurassic Park game is a $100 game.

Fantastic find!!! I agree, there are still good finds out there to discover. There's nothing quite like the high of finding a gem (or gems) at a yard sale!

Mine for the weekend was at a generally overpriced estate sale. Ridiculous prices on most things and almost walked away without really looking. Saw some video games and walked over expecting to be disappointed. They had 4 PS2 games for $25 (that were worthless) but had a misc Sega Saturn lot of games for only $5! Dragon Force is disc only and the Marvel Super Heroes is the import, but for $5, I'll take that all day long. Game and manual only for the Nights game (no controller unfortunately).

post-31049-0-49637500-1439215171_thumb.jpg

Ahh, the joys of thrift-store volunteering. As you hope for another week to discover some rare gem that somebody was nice enough to donate, you slog through a disheartening mountain of empty DS and PSP cases... oh, but then you find a bunch of pirated karaoke DVD-R's, and next thing you know you're wasting a good portion of your Sunday evening singing along when you should be getting other stuff ready for eBay.

This may or may not be a true story.

• Like 1

The Jurassic Park game is a $100 game.

Now that is definitely a game I would rather sell than hang onto @_@

...you slog through a disheartening mountain of empty DS and PSP cases...

I really hate that, I've found tons of empty CD/DVD cases that make it out onto the shelves =| It's usually really cool stuff, too.

At least with stuff like DS or Genesis cases, if it's something I need, they always offer me a good deal.

But an empty CD case?? I mean, I know having the artwork is the coolest part of owning physical CDs, but I would feel pretty weird about putting a burned disc in there...Idunno, maybe that's just me...

Edited by Asaki

Garage Sales have for the most been really GREAT to me. Though far and few between the finds were good to MEGA. The last mega find was 360 NES/SNES carts. Rarities included were Final Fight Guy, Mighty Final Fight, Demon's Crest, Ducktales 2, Mega Man 1-7 (I kept those =) ), and a year before that was the I offered $400 for the "I woulda sold them for 50 cents each" find. I got EarthBound boxed, Zelda LTTP boxed, Super Mario RPG boxed and another 37 boxed games for the SNES/N64 in that lot. $10 a game boxed avg was not bad =)
I've hit maybe 500 yard sales in 3 years and had a good 10 finds. and another 150 minor finds. But most sales were CLOSE. Lately this year the strict non gamer resellers are dying off thank god. more goodies for us gamers and gamer/trader/sellers.

Edited by Shantai

Today's garage sale/flea market finds:

- Coleco Head to Head Electronic Boxing (50¢)

- Plastic Pac-Man Mug ($1)

- Nyko 8 MB GameCube Memory Card (25¢)

- BattleTanx (Game Boy Color, loose) (25¢)

- "Dark Side of the Moon" PC FMV adventure game (sealed) (50¢)

- "How to Draw Nintendo Greatest Heroes & Villains" book (25¢)

Edited by CRV