IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Is there a "Sumguy got it first" thread? Today at Goodwill I spotted a green Coleco mini arcade across the room, the shape is very distinctive and the color green isn't common toy color in this store. But before I got there, someone else got it. I was able to get a closer look, $4 Frogger with battery cover on it.

That is a steal!

He could get 4-5 times his money back just selling the battery cover haha...And still have the game!

Was it for sure the Coleco Version? As there's also the Excalibur version (I have one of those) and those aren't worth nearly so much...

My buddy "Red" hooked me up again when I popped into my local Game Cycle. I had heard that these Atari comic compilations existed but I had never seen one so to be gifted a free one is just awesome. I've never actually read any of the Swordquest comics as I never owned any of the games. Shame it was never finished.

post-2493-0-91600000-1508718377_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Is there a "Sumguy got it first" thread? Today at Goodwill I spotted a green Coleco mini arcade across the room, the shape is very distinctive and the color green isn't common toy color in this store. But before I got there, someone else got it. I was able to get a closer look, $4 Frogger with battery cover on it.

SumGuy gets mentioned quite a bit in this thread. Don't forget that his sister, SumGal is out there to.

• Like 3

Nothing groundbreaking, but I did buy Spyro: A Hero's Tail for PS2 for $4 at Goodwill. No idea if the game's any good, but for $4 ya can't go wrong. Lots of stickers on this box, though. No biggie, but it's almost excessive,...There was a Goodwili sticker, plus some little circle with a number sticker, A pawn shop price sticker, and 4 E.B. (?) "pre-owned" price tag stickers, including one on the artwork itself underneath the plastic.

My local Goodwill are the same. They think an opened box of WoW WoD expansion pack is worth $9.99 when the code is used only once and probably no good anyway. Crapload of PS2 sports game for $9.99. Bejeweled for $9.99 when I can still get it new from Walmart for half that.

That is a steal!

He could get 4-5 times his money back just selling the battery cover haha...And still have the game!

Was it for sure the Coleco Version? As there's also the Excalibur version (I have one of those) and those aren't worth nearly so much...

It does say Coleco on the mini arcade.

• Like 1

I've noticed Goodwill's charging more for jewel case games (PSX, DC,PC) than DVD case games these days. Which of course makes zero sense.

One word: Demand. Those early era CD systems are crossing the line into fully retro gaming, which comes with new buyers trying to be old-school cool shaking up the supply & the pricing.

Not that that explains why PC game prices would go up, mind you.

SomeGuy scored a small pile of good SNES games, including Donkey Kong Country and Contra III for $35 off of Offer Up over the weekend. I don't have Contra III, and I haven't seen it alone for that cheap in a while. Missed it by minutes.

I can't complain though, because moments later, I picked up a new (to me) bass guitar for dirt cheap, also on Offer Up.

swHvNUtl.jpg

p1KsiZ4l.jpg

After de-crudding:

eH8yQg2l.jpg

xFtrtrEl.jpg

QgERDUEl.jpg

Picked up one of my "Bucket List" basses: a 1987 U.S.-built Peavey Foundation S, in it's original case, for $40!!! :-o

• Like 4

Thanks to a couple of Goodwill Outlet stores spoiling me for anywhere that doesn't sell crap by the pound, I find a lot of boring stuff these days. But today I found something unexpected. Actual pressed PS2 bootleg DVD-ROMs! They even have the name of the game in the hub text.

There are also two more games that are questionable. They have the PlayStation 2 logo at the bottom, with apparently the original disc art and other trademarked logos, but say "FOR JAPAN ONLY MADE IN JAPAN" and a VTV series disk number: VTV-2112 NBA Live 2005 and VTV-2114 Crash TwinSanity. Most bootleggers are smart enough to not copy trademarks, but Google turns up nothing for those numbers.

post-4828-0-12160600-1509586915_thumb.jpg

I also found a working "Meep!" system with joypad grip. I'm going to play the games that are on it (mostly Angry Birds and some trace-the-line puzzle game called infeCCt) before I try to install a regular Android 4.x image on it, since I expect that will erase the installed apps. It's locked enough that I can't get in there and turn on developer mode to copy out the installed (mostly) crapware games. But I should have the right image downloaded now, it was linked from a YouTube video where someone showed it running on the same all-white model, and even the camera worked. (it uses an Allwinner chipset)

Meep systems became abandoned and unsupported last year, so it will be good to have an a generic Android tablet almost for free, even one that is mediocre by Android 4.x standards. Note that this cost me 59 cents a pound (the price for electrical stuff), so under a dollar. For some reason it was even on the floor and not in a bin when I first saw it.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin
  • Like 1

That would be hard to turn down, depending on how much TLC it needed. Is that active or passive?

It's passive, and for some reason, it has a SGC Nanyo P pickup in place of the original. That has to be the most random pickup choice I have ever seen. SGC Nanyo basses were high end Japanese basses made in the early 90's and very rare, and there's at least one of them running around without its original P pickup now!

It definitely needs some TLC, but I was looking for a project. For example, the electronics cavity looks like this:

xIjyMEnl.jpg

The tone pot fell apart on me last night, and there's tons of extra wiring and what appears to be solder wire bridging the pots. Not to mention someone shielded it with some rough aluminum foil tape. I will be gutting this, replacing the pots and wiring, and putting some proper copper shielding tape in the cavity. For the price, I cannot complain!

• Like 1

The tone pot fell apart on me last night, and there's tons of extra wiring and what appears to be solder wire bridging the pots. Not to mention someone shielded it with some rough aluminum foil tape.

Oh yeah, definitely needs some help, but still a nice price. All those little ceramic disk caps have to be some kind of custom job, right?

I shielded my FrankenStrat like that, with aluminum foil and spray adhesive...it's not super pretty, but that thing is dead silent now, even with the 57/63 pickups in them (no RW/RP middle). Back when I got it, I only played in the 2nd and 4th positions, because the rest buzzed loudly.

Oh yeah, definitely needs some help, but still a nice price. All those little ceramic disk caps have to be some kind of custom job, right?

I shielded my FrankenStrat like that, with aluminum foil and spray adhesive...it's not super pretty, but that thing is dead silent now, even with the 57/63 pickups in them (no RW/RP middle). Back when I got it, I only played in the 2nd and 4th positions, because the rest buzzed loudly.

I was actually able to save the tone pot last night! It just needed the little clamps that hold the bottom of the pot bent back to hold the board on. And yes, I think there was some "custom" mods done to this thing when the pickups were switched. If it gets weird, I'm just tossing a Jazz Bass harness in there and calling it done.

• Like 1

Some of the more noteworthy bits to come into my store recently...

post-6115-0-53340400-1509857012_thumb.jpg

I suppose if you're going to find PlayStation games only three at a time, there are worse threes than this one.

post-6115-0-83349500-1509857068_thumb.jpg

There are worse Game Gear dozens than this one too. Quite honestly I didn't even know Tails had his own game before I saw this.

Most of these are now up for grabs in the thrift store sale thread!

Edited by FujiSkunk
  • Like 1

That Tails game is good and has value to it unlike most GG games and not bad on the PS games either.

I don't really care to do the whole picture racket most the time anymore, but I did find during the middle of the week Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance GBA for $7, then Friday Medal of Honor PS1 (black label) great shape for $4 complete, and then yesterday for $20 PN03 for Gamecube. A few short list games I still wanted to bother with. I put a LOT of time on that GBA game the last couple days and cleared out Baldur's Gate and got into the second act and it's amazingly well done.

VJzqKJB.jpg

ee1XuK7.jpg

Could have been worse, like loose for $20. They have about 50 PS2 games, all sports stuff, for $10 each, a few XBox games (also sucky stuff) for $10, and a few DS pet games. If they had any good ones, those were probably picked clean. And XBox One console with 2 controllers, as-is no return for $250. I guess I won't be going to that Goodwill store for a while, too pricey on crappy stuff. If those games didn't sell at $2 a few years ago, they won't sell at $10 for a decade.

At a different store I found Pole Position, Missile Command and Zaxxon for 5200. First 2 were $10 and last one $25. I would have picked up Zaxxon if it didn't look like a dog's chew toy :( CIB Atari 7800 system as well but "doesn't work", as-is, and $200 for it. (probably AC adapter but not worth $200 to gamble).

I did pick up CIB Cosmic Ark (love the shiny Imagic box and all), Snoopy & The Red Baron, Name This Game (fancy cart style), and Krull plus 2 more all for 2600. Almost $50 for all 6 but they were all nice shape and did I mention I loved Imagic box and label?

• Like 2

Don't know if it counts or not, but I was watching a YouTube live stream last night and got some free Steam keys for Sega Genesis games. I now, legally, have on my computer:

Alien Storm

Bio-Hazard Battle

Columns III

Decap Attack

Ecco The Tides of Time

ESWAT

Flicky

Golden Axe II and III

Sword of Vermillion

Virtua Fighter 2

Beyond Oasis

Dynamite Headdy

Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4

Streets of Rage 1, 2, and 3

The Revenge of Shinobi

Vectorman 2

Wonder Boy in Monster World

Gunstar Heroes

Landstalker

Light Crusader

Shining Force 1 and 2

Shining in the Darkness

Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair

All free. I wish I had the actual cartridges for all these, but hey, I ain't complainin'.