IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Salvation Army had a bunch of game carts. Mostly Combat, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Smurf Rescue, etc mix of 2600 and Colecovision games with a few common 7800 games in the mix. I did snag 3 games for 99 cents each (forgot to take picture of 7800 Dig Dug)

Fq5RNSp.jpg

I was floored when I checked later and saw Colecovision Pitfall was fairly pricey compared to other Pitfall versions. I knew Double Dragon is a rare 2600 game.

• Like 2

There's a certain chain I stop by sometimes, I'll snag any later release realsports titles when they're $2 and send them to Albert (for recycling as 7800 shells)when I have enough (I break even at that price but it helps the homebrew hobby). Anyhow, they had some 7800 games the other day. To give you an idea on their pricing, Pole Position II is $4. Imagine my delight when I got Ikari Warriors (7800) for $7.99! Made my day...

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 1

Guy at work said, "I got something in my truck for you, but I think it's broke." I joked that I was broke, too, so it should be fine. Anyway, later he brings in a PS2 fat and hands it to me. Says he found it in a trash can or something and thought I might get some use out of it. It has some obvious damage on the disc tray, like someone had tried to pry it open. There's no cover over the hard drive bay (for lack of a better term) in back. And it's dirty as hell. I get it home and plug it in, and it works. Or, at least, it outputs video and sound, asking for a disc or memory card to read... you know, what a PS2 does if it doesn't have a game or memory card in it. The disc tray is jacked up. Wouldn't open up on its own, but I was able to pull it out... probably some bad gears or belts or something... might have even broken it further by pulling it out. lol Anyway, I'll probably open it up and see if I can fix anything some time this week.

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 2

By 1968, peanuts had already been through at least 3 art styles, and was popular enough to make that book, and a movie.

Its amazing.

I got started on Peanuts in the late 70s. My family would visit my uncle in Santa Monica and he had some old comics from the early 60s. I didn't have much to read there so I read the Peanuts comics. Instantly loved them and been a huge fan ever since.

• Like 2

Guy at work said, "I got something in my truck for you, but I think it's broke." I joked that I was broke, too, so it should be fine. Anyway, later he brings in a PS2 fat and hands it to me. Says he found it in a trash can or something and thought I might get some use out of it. It has some obvious damage on the disc tray, like someone had tried to pry it open. There's no cover over the hard drive bay (for lack of a better term) in back. And it's dirty as hell. I get it home and plug it in, and it works. Or, at least, it outputs video and sound, asking for a disc or memory card to read... you know, what a PS2 does if it doesn't have a game or memory card in it. The disc tray is jacked up. Wouldn't open up on its own, but I was able to pull it out... probably some bad gears or belts or something... might have even broken it further by pulling it out. lol Anyway, I'll probably open it up and see if I can fix anything some time this week.

Free is free I always say

• Like 1

Even if you can't get the drive working you can get free mcboot on it and play nes games on it, and others as well. Very good for free.

Edited by SignGuy81

Opened it up, and I think I got the CD tray back on track... it's at least moving smoothly now and not sounding like it's breaking gears... but it still won't open and close on its own when the button is pressed. Not hearing any motors trying even. Wonder if something is wrong with them...

But yeah, I won't turn down free stuff, even if it might be broken. Even if it turns out to be something I can't fix, I might can sell it "as is, for parts" or something.

Not that interested in Free Mc Boot or anything. I already have two PS2s. I'll probably just see how far I can go fixing this one and then sell it. /shrug

• Like 1

This. This should not have been donated to a thrift store:

post-6115-0-45206900-1511842061_thumb.jpg

Not just a 3DS. Not even a mere 3DS XL. It's a New 3DS XL! With stylus! And Super Smash Bros.! I'm half expecting this to turn into another backsy, but A, it was donated to my store's sister location, which I don't visit as often and therefore stuff piles up for longer, and B, I've already paid for it and reformatted it, so nyah! Mine!! *cough* I mean, yeah, of course I'll give it back if that turns out to be the case, but in the meantime, fingers are crossed!

The funny thing is, after seeing two on the shelf at a Best Buy after months of never seeing any, I decided I wanted a Switch after all. So just like that I have a Switch and a "New" 3DS XL, all in the same week! The glittery effect of the lower screen in the above picture is just me playing in Photoshop (GIMP, actually). Really the console is in fine shape. The only thing missing was a power cable, and I had that covered already.

And now, behold! What just might possibly be the greatest song ever to emerge from the haze known as the 1970s:

post-6115-0-28478700-1511842612.jpg

Of course, it's also possible this isn't the greatest song of the 1970s, but really, can you argue that while listening?

Okay, maybe you can. How about this for the greatest song of the 1970s, then?

post-6115-0-12889700-1511842785.jpg

Henson actually got onto the singles charts, thanks to this and "The Rainbow Connection".

And now, I have something of a personal favor to ask. You see, my roommate claims he took a rather incriminating photo of me. Don't believe a word he says! It's fake news! I was set up! I... I...

post-6115-0-25685000-1511843351.jpg

...I can explain!

First of all, he put me up to it! Second of all, the dumpster was practically empty at the time! Third of all, it's at the church where I attend and my roommate works, so it wasn't just some random bin! And finally, it's why the dumpster wasn't completely empty that intrigued me and him. What I figured was, someone boxed and bagged a whole bunch of stuff to donate to a charity, and someone, probably a different someone and quite possibly a younger relative of the first someone, decided a nearby church dumpster made for a more convenient drop-off. There were boxes of books, a carefully packed bag full of clothes, and several other curios that made us both -- yes, HIM TOO! -- decide to go diving. Nothing in the way of video games, sadly (or not?) but still...

post-6115-0-35274300-1511843968_thumb.jpg

These are Western paperbacks from the 1950s. I'm no expert on books, but I do know people like to collect old ones, and I'm observant enough to notice somebody individually bagged these and somebody else paid $3 to $7.50 a pop for them.

post-6115-0-71453300-1511844257_thumb.jpg

I actually do know a thing or two about music books, enough that I would never throw away a guitar tablature book, not when even the least popular ones can still go for a few bucks on eBay.

post-6115-0-75598400-1511844525.jpg

Finally, this is what ultimately convinced me to take the plunge. This is the CD-ROM set of what was then every issue of National Geographic, all 108 years' worth digitized for browsing on your PC. Lawsuits and copyright controversy have pretty much guaranteed this set will never be rereleased, let alone updated, so these are getting pretty hard to find. The outer box is a little rough, but so far all the discs I've looked for were present. I'm keeping this one! And I'm not ashamed! Don't judge me! At least, not too harshly, please?

• Like 5

Wow I hope you enjoy that dumpster rabble as that's some fantastic stuff there. I'd have gone in too only because of how you said it was already sealed from the nasty bagged and boxed up and all that. Shame someone was so rotten about such things. That 3DS was amazing too, shame I'm over playing with mine. It's about to be marketplace/ebay fodder once I get some pictures taken as will the games. It's nice but nothing left I want to buy now or forward and even if I did I can't make time for it anymore. :(

Finally, this is what ultimately convinced me to take the plunge. This is the CD-ROM set of what was then every issue of National Geographic, all 108 years' worth digitized for browsing on your PC. Lawsuits and copyright controversy have pretty much guaranteed this set will never be rereleased, let alone updated, so these are getting pretty hard to find. The outer box is a little rough, but so far all the discs I've looked for were present. I'm keeping this one! And I'm not ashamed! Don't judge me! At least, not too harshly, please?

I own a couple sets, one set on DVD Roms. Nice thing about the National Geographic CD Roms is the full install option without need of the discs after the install. I Googled the court ruling which seemed to wrap up in 2008 in favor of National Geographic. Still, the CD Rom reference a dying or dead product due to everything online. Personally, I like having the full magazine set as an offline always available reference; over a century of every issue!

https://nppa.org/news/1111

12/10/2008

Photographer Jerry Greenberg's long legal battle against the National Geographic Society and a series of appellate court rulings has finally come to an end. The United States Supreme Court has denied to hear an appeal by Greenberg in which he asked the justices to reverse a lower court's landmark copyright decision in his 11-year-old case against National Geographic. National Geographic pulled the product off the market in 2003 after Greenberg was awarded damages by a Florida district court. But as the lawsuit dragged on through the appeals process, the final three rulings by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals were all in the magazine's favor.

4. ...

Thanks, Grig. I don't feel so guilty persecuted now. :)

I own a couple sets, one set on DVD Roms. Nice thing about the National Geographic CD Roms is the full install option without need of the discs after the install. I Googled the court ruling which seemed to wrap up in 2008 in favor of National Geographic. Still, the CD Rom reference a dying or dead product due to everything online. Personally, I like having the full magazine set as an offline always available reference; over a century of every issue!

I saw where NatGeo had prevailed in one case, though apparently at one point there were two cases with conflicting rulings, which I read didn't really get fully resolved when the U.S. Supreme Court opted not to get involved. At any rate, you're right about big CD-ROM monsters like this not being in fashion anymore. I'd be interested if NatGeo did the Marvel thing and offered access to the entire library online for a monthly subscription, but I suspect even that would make the photographers grumble.

Went to a local Value Village after work while I waited for my daughter to finish her college class. I found this cool hardcover book about the history of Pinball for $5 and grabbed it. It's a very nicely done book with lots of great color pictures and art. It's from 1988 and I was very pleased to find this as pinball is another passion of mine before video games took over.

post-2493-0-67972600-1512090542_thumb.jpg

post-2493-0-31077300-1512090559_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Wow dude that right there is something I've been looking for for the last couple of years now. I've been trying to basically find a coffee table big book with history and stuff about tables from the early days through the 20th century. Not quite covering it all being 1988 but it would basically envelope all the good stuff before the DMDs rolled out more or less. That has to be a fun one to run through. I'm always looking at half price books for a thing like that, but they're not even that good at sorting things into the right space.

So who needs Black Friday sales when you can just go to work?

Yesterday, the same guy (Billy) who brought me the PS2 from the previous post brought me three controllers. There's one XBox 360 controller and two original XBox controllers. One of the OG XBox controllers has a cut cord and the other is missing the breakaway part at the end. None of them are useable, but might be good for parts. Again, I'm not gonna complain about free stuff, even if it's broken.

Then, later yesterday, another guy from the same area of the shop (Josh), who had seen Billy bring me this stuff (and had heard me tell Billy about working on fixing the PS2) comes up to me and says, "So I hear you can fix broken game systems." "Um... yeah, sometimes, depending on what's wrong with them..." "Well, I've got an old XBox in my closet that was working fine, then I unplugged it to move it to another place and plugged it back in and it won't turn on." "Sounds like it could be the power supply... dunno..." "Well, if you want it I'll bring it to you." "Okay."

Later he came back and asked me if I wanted the controllers and games, too. And also that he had some extra Nintendo controllers and zappers. I said that I'd take whatever he didn't want.

Well, he said he got some stuff together last night, but forgot it today, so I said, "No problem, just bring it Monday."

So... I hope I have a nice update for you all on Monday. :cool:

Edited by Eltigro

So who needs Black Friday sales when you can just go to work?

Yesterday, the same guy (Billy) who brought me the PS2 from the previous post brought me three controllers. There's one XBox 360 controller and two original XBox controllers. One of the OG XBox controllers has a cut cord and the other is missing the breakaway part at the end. None of them are useable, but might be good for parts. Again, I'm not gonna complain about free stuff, even if it's broken.

I might have a loose breakaway floating around here... I seem to remember grabbing one at the local thrift as a 'just in case' kinda thing. I can look for it if you want.

• Like 1