IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

got it all setup in the playroom

17 inch elo touch screen

running a amd am1 cpu and asrock amb1-itx motherboard

also hooked up a nice sound bar behind it

ordered the matching keyboard (cant find the mouse)

just need to remove the original bezl and make one that fits the lcd screen right and it will be a sweet toy for the lil guys

post-63035-0-85651100-1524529328_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-85984100-1524529353_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I see no reason to be mad about that, might as well get them started early with learning and learning to use a computer, and what better place than their own child safe detached desk space where they don't have a shot at doing damage on something you do care about. Pretty much how I felt about that netbook I found for $10. The RAM I ordered finally arrived today after them mailing the first time the wrong size. 1GB really does make the difference outside of the early avast install slogging it down until it calms down in time.

It's a great thing to have, and if that's a standard PC look into what her school recommended TuxPaint (which also has TuxMath and TuxTyping) that are three free programs that are super helpful. The first is like kids photoshop with much of the features, then a space invaders math blaster game, and the third is a cuter mavis beacon kind of thing.

I see no reason to be mad about that, might as well get them started early with learning and learning to use a computer, and what better place than their own child safe detached desk space where they don't have a shot at doing damage on something you do care about. Pretty much how I felt about that netbook I found for $10. The RAM I ordered finally arrived today after them mailing the first time the wrong size. 1GB really does make the difference outside of the early avast install slogging it down until it calms down in time.

It's a great thing to have, and if that's a standard PC look into what her school recommended TuxPaint (which also has TuxMath and TuxTyping) that are three free programs that are super helpful. The first is like kids photoshop with much of the features, then a space invaders math blaster game, and the third is a cuter mavis beacon kind of thing.

I'm trying this right now seems pretty good and it locks the pc down http://www.magicdesktop.com/en-US

price tag for full version is a bit high

I'm trying this right now seems pretty good and it locks the pc down http://www.magicdesktop.com/en-US

price tag for full version is a bit high

Seems interesting for $80, kind of like abc mouse but not totally strapped into an annoying web browser program. It appears only the older works with XP though they offer it still. Problem is the school my daughter goes to has certain tools and apps, so I kind of need to stick with the Tux programs, and also google as they made them google accounts with email attached too for when they're old enough to be responsible with it.

This is the paint, at the bottom links to the math and typing, also I totally blew over it and it does in fact have MacOS and Linux versions too.

http://www.tuxpaint.org/

Seems interesting for $80, kind of like abc mouse but not totally strapped into an annoying web browser program. It appears only the older works with XP though they offer it still. Problem is the school my daughter goes to has certain tools and apps, so I kind of need to stick with the Tux programs, and also google as they made them google accounts with email attached too for when they're old enough to be responsible with it.

This is the paint, at the bottom links to the math and typing, also I totally blew over it and it does in fact have MacOS and Linux versions too.

http://www.tuxpaint.org/

supposed to be able to add any app into the magic desktop software but I have not figured it out yet (may need full version)

Problem is the school my daughter goes to has certain tools and apps, so I kind of need to stick with the Tux programs, and also google as they made them google accounts with email attached too for when they're old enough to be responsible with it.

Gotta start harvesting their data before they're old enough to question it :)

Man finds like these are getting harder and harder. I seen this posting like 40 minutes or so after it was posted and it generally takes 15-20 minutes to show on Craigslist. At any rate it was listed for $160 and I called the guy and said I wanted to buy his lot. He said he would text me his address. After a few minutes I texted him asking for it, a few more minutes later I called him back. He said his wife didn't want a stranger coming to their house, so he asked me to meet him at Tim Horton's. He then said for my inconvenience he would take $140 LOL.

I got there and we started going over it all. He said I was lucky because his phone was blowing up. After he put it all in my car and I gave him the $140 he wanted, he asked me what it all was worth. I told him at least $400. I then told him I had no problem paying him the $160 or even more than that. He refused to take anything over the $140. He did forget sega genesis street fighter 2 special champions but I'm not going to complain over it lol. I was hoping to get it as I had an empty box sitting here for it but owell.

People just like to give me stuff cheap even why I try to pay them more they refuse lol. I even told him I would resell most of it, he sad he didn't care and didn't have the time to mess with it. I will be keeping that Thunder Force 2 for sure and likely that boxed ps2 silver slim as I only have a boxed black slim. The rest of the stuff I will have to look over but I likely have most of it already.

PS2 COD 3, Metal gear solid 2, GT3, and NBA Live 2002 are just empty cases, which he told me when I came to get them.

post-25078-0-82287100-1524966034_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-44404400-1524966043_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-46922100-1524966055_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-44271400-1524966058_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-52853300-1524966075_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-53709700-1524966092_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nothing on the bulk of the above, but holy crap I finally solved my vinyl problem today a few hours ago. :D

Months ago I had picked up one of those swiss army wood box Crosley pos units and it imploded shortly after turning it on. Months I've been watching for something better and today that arrived for all of $15. I got an Audio Technica AT-PL50 turntable. It's from 2007 but well cared for, has stereo audio jacks out of the back with a cable converter to a phones jack style. With that I was above to pop those into my Logitech speakers which are fantastic and the audio quality is excellent, though a little quiet since I think it needs a little more powered of a device but thankfully doesn't require a receiver to work. For the space I'm in on the loudest it's plenty enough, just not enough to rattle the walls.

With that I went to HBP and I located a killer deal on a record for $16, The Early Years Beatles non-reprint which seemed to book about $50 on ebay. I've been running that and an old Disney record of my mom's I've carried around for 30 years too since I can actually hear it (audio score from Lady and the Tramp.)

• Like 1

Went to the flea market today. Found more gaming stuff than I normally do, but it was all too high for me. Don't know if they were all just too high or I'm just too cheap. Saw a couple WiiU's, both for around $125. A Super Metroid for $45. Thought about a CiB Kid Chameleon for the Genesis that was $25, but passed. Ended up getting a Super Mario Hot Wheels car and a PSP game. Paid $5 total. That's the same price I paid for the corn dog I had while there. It's my first PSP game. I bought a PSP on Ebay yesterday after seeing that there was a 15% off coupon thing. That hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll have something to play on it.

post-21069-0-73852900-1525556492_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'd argue that people were asking ebay or above given what you said, so I'd have walked off as well. Flea markets don't have any QC, returns, refunds...cash, carry and pray.

I'm thinking of checking a small one tomorrow morning I used to regular but haven't gone to since last early fall. Did find an old complete big box pc game the other day of Colonization, sealed up sleeve release of Bit Trip Collection too, and a sealed up jewel case version of the original Diablo all found in single digit pricing too which was strange to see. Was more happy with the vinyl I found though, 3 records for around $10. One was for Jerry Lee Lewis, another The Byrds, and a third for Aquarius.

• Like 1

Today was a huge day for yard sales as we have one every year in the same neighborhood. There were probably about 50 yard sales today. NOT ... ONE ... SINGLE ... GAME ... SYSTEM ... OLDER ... THAN ... Wii ...other than PS2 sports games. Sigh ...

• Like 1

That 15 percent off coupon expired a couple days ago, regrettably. Thought about getting in on it but I rather resented being railroaded into a purchase... you had eight hours to buy $50 of stuff so you had to make a decision FAST.

Yeah, after I made my impulse buy, I saw a few that were probably better deals, but oh well. I had been thinking about buying a PSP for a while now and this was just the push I needed.

SR97c73l.jpg

mD6T8Wul.jpg

OQtewXHl.jpg

It's a late 1990's Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. Retailed for something like $4000-5000 back then! This one is running Windows 2000. It has a CD-ROM drive, a 3.5 floppy drive, and something like 8-10GB of hard drive space. It's a Pentium II processor, but I'm not sure of the exact specs.

Hmm... I'm somewhat jealous, It's so much nicer than my 7800.

AH, almost forgot, I found something that looks like this in the local goodwill store:

GOODWILL-5-5-Portable-mini-Black-White-C

Still in it's box, in all it's "Nouveau pour l'année 2000!" glory.

Doesn't look to have been used at all really, but I didn't have time to buy it*.

*"But mom... it'll take 54 seconds!"

Edited by TheTIGuy

Man is this thing AWESOME! I was browsing Facebook Marketplace and seen this thing last night. It had been listed for a week! I thought their must be an error at $10. I contacted them to see if it was still available, they said yes! So today I went to get it. 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back, $10 plus about $7 in interstate tolls and fuel. So about $17 and an hour and a half of my time driving. I also snagged a ps2 crash nitro cart from them for $2 while I was there. It's hard to tell if I needed it or not since I have about 400 ps2 games but I did :) This is what I call a win win. Still on the fence over selling this monster. It is wicked cool, but I have zero room for it and I honestly have never even played the game. I still have a real hard time selling promo stuff like this. There is a good chance I will keep it or maybe list at some crazy high bin in the future.

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine Primaris Intercessor Cardboard Standee Standup 7 1/2 feet.

post-25078-0-06648200-1525829662_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-02736400-1525829675_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-71961000-1525829682_thumb.jpg

post-25078-0-85017200-1525829685_thumb.jpg

That 15 percent off coupon expired a couple days ago, regrettably. Thought about getting in on it but I rather resented being railroaded into a purchase... you had eight hours to buy $50 of stuff so you had to make a decision FAST.

I always have a huge watch list of stuff where I am on the fence because I "wish it was 5$ cheaper"...these coupons always get me to jump off the fence.

Though the time limit is annoying, I'll never resent eBay giving me a discount. :-D